• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 26, 2020, 18:41:52
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Being 'Out There' and the act of creating
on: October 25, 2020, 09:54:27
Well it's a day early, but the first track of my instrumental-based 'Pilgrims Way Project', the eponymous "The Pilgrims Way", is now available on Spotify and hopefully other music distribution platforms. As some of you might now , this simple bit of low whistle playing acts as a gateway to the other tracks, based around the history and natural world of the island of Lindisfarne (Holy Island).

As I've got eight tracks in the project now, I thought I'd test out distribution options. It should be available on Apple Music, Amazon Music etc. etc. too. ;-)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1e8zUmZBfsOgoDYKggdcQk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, even thought I know it's not important, it's nice to think it's 'out there' with a potential to maybe be heard on a playlist or something like that. Also in a silly way, since the modern Western world places so much emphasis on 'exposure', it feels like I've stepped through another door with my music-making. Even though I'm a bit late to the party.

I still believe though, that my music-making is chiefly for myself, family and friends, it's hopefully a nice end to the act of creating something.

I have no delusions of grandeur, there is always something bigger, better, more complete, more dare I say ... perfect. But that doesn't matter, I think when all of us listen back to what we've created, there is a sense of pride and perhaps self-fulfilment in thinking you have captured something with your words, or voice or playing.

You have captured a piece of yourself :-)

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: Being 'Out There' and the act of creating
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:16:55
Hope this finds you well.

I talk about ‘I ‘, because I want to avoid the idea that I know exactly what makes you tick.

I don’t write for the audiences. And at the same time, if no one came to listen, that would be disappointing.
Audiences are fickle as hell. This year I posted ‘spin the bottle’ and maybe because of the title it drew over one thousand listeners. Another song, ranking far higher in my own list, stopped at 300 or so.

Yes, I think that making your music heard is a good thing. It’s not written for nothing, right?
I had the luck to enjoy every step on your Lindisfarne search and what a lot of pleasure it was.

I envy your craftsmanship and patience and wish your trek out there lots of succes.
Keep on keeping on, said Curtis Mayfield. Maybe he meant keep the faith?
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 12:11:08
Cheers Gus @LePlongeur , I haven't finished my island adventures yet, so there are still a few more pictures to paint  think. ;-)

But you see how it goes, if it wasn't for a song by @redmando and @Leonard Scaper and the Kitchen in general I might never had gone down this alleyway at all.

I've decided I do want to do a proper orchestral song cycle (yes, you started me off with that idea) of four short orchestral pieces, one for each season. I've got Winter completed, and I'm on with Autumn at present.  I want to try and make all four together seem truly cyclic in nature, and the end of Autumn  musically 'hints' at Winter to come.  About 16 minutes for all four tracks in total with a bit of luck.

There are so many ways that people can engage with music nowadays, it truly has become a commodity, which makes it an issue for anybody trying to earn a living from it. But the advances in technology and communication can make your track "Spin the Bottle" be heard in New Zealand, Brazil, Canada etc. etc. So you have the chance to get a response from thousands of miles away from something that only exists as a result of your music making.

That is an interesting thought, that you might have put a smile on the face of somebody who you probably will never meet.  :-)

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 12:50:05
A slippery slope @MrBouzouki @LePlongeur  but awesome nonetheless!

Congratulations @MrBouzouki !

Have you put this up on youtube? That's where to be I think. Everyone has youtube.
Now that you have it published it may be automatic or maybe you can just put it up with a nice picture or two. You collect royalties and likely more people will hear it.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 13:23:21
Cheers @Bill from November Sound ... I can imagine it can be.

I deliberately stayed away from the Google and Facebook eco-systems for now. There was an option I unticked them.

I'm hoping to do some sort of music video for it at some point as I feel YouTube really is a video platform. I've got a green-screen and everything so I might be able to overlay a bit of playing over the moving images. Since I'm essentially a hobbyist I don't really need to rush things.

What are your feelings about the two-edged sword on world-wide potential exposure versus reward for creatives due to streaming?

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 13:49:04
Just do it @MrBouzouki ! No green screen needed.
YouTube is now probably the number one music streaming source! (Plus I'll be able to listen at work easily ... other stuff is blocked.)
Everyone has youtube.
Seriously, just put up some fancy pictures or illustrations. That's all you'll need. 

Re: question
I am not too sympathetic to creatives, unfortunately. I'd like to be but for some reason I just am not.
People who made a million and all kinds of fame off their one song crying about how they're not getting paid enough ...? .... meh...
I mean we all do what we have to right? We get jobs to pay the bills and they can do that as well. Heck, with the kind of fame they have, there must be a whole host of opportunities from a business perspective.

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 20:05:58
I don't have much to offer on distribution @MrBouzouki .....but this sure sounds good in the studio up on the monitors....nice and loud.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Tolo
  • Poissonier

• Yesterday at 07:38:32
    • Johannesburg
  • more
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:11:26
This is really lovely - rich, haunting and makes me nostalgic for the North of England. Of course other people should be able to hear and buy this - and your other work - it is amazing how music can help people through their days and nights. It really can be a 'life saver' - this is such music.

Easy to build a video for something like this - @Leonard Scaper is spot on - get it out there, the world is waiting, and in it, some people in need.
Pro Tools 2020.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Furman AC210E
10.13 High Sierra
SSD Thunderbolt Audio
i9 7900 10 Core
64G Crucial DDR4

www.tonylowther.com

xx
The Act Of Betrayal

Started by Cool Hand on Songs for review

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2017, 10:19:23
by Cool Hand
xx
Creating interesting bass lines?

Started by Bill from November Sound on Songwriting Ingredients

13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 23:31:57
by 1roomstudio
xx
Creating figurative pattern on a shrimp

Started by Mo on Other Arts

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2020, 22:37:22
by oorlab
xx
COPPA Children privacy Act?

Started by oorlab on The kitchen café

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2020, 03:34:39
by Bill from November Sound
xx
a lot of labour and thought goes into to creating these works...

Started by Dutchbeat on Other Arts

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 16:53:23
by MrBouzouki