• CD Baby, Tunecore, Distrokid - who likes what?
  • Started by 1roomstudio
  • 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• November 02, 2019, 01:11:01
  • more
CD Baby, Tunecore, Distrokid - who likes what?
on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:25
I want to take the plunge... but a bit intimidated by the possibility of regretting my choice ...🤔

Anyone here have firm convictions? Or useful anecdotes? Or horror stories?

I’m all ears 👂👂👂👂

Re: CD Baby, Tunecore, Distrokid - who likes what?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 03:29:50
Hi @1roomstudio . CD Baby for us.  … but we do actually sell actual CDs at our gigs. No problems at all. The people on the phone are very helpful.
I hear a lot of people like Tunecore. I think @realkevm uses Tunecore.
@Jambrains and @Zedd just released an album. We can ask what they used.
 What are you all using?  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 20:49:00
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 20:05:32
I would be interested.

If I ever get the Pilgrim's Way finished I would love to release a CD before they are consigned to history. LOL
Just to say ... "I did this ". A real plastic one not a digital download but I guess that too.

Despite understanding technology, probably better than many, the modern music distribution systems seem really confusing to me.
I guess it's an age thing ... LOL
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:23:16
HI, I use Routenote and not had any problems infact is is very easy to use.
You can pay a small amount and keep all your royalties or the free version they take 25% commission (which I use).
They put your music in all the big stores (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple, Deezer etc) and also monetize Soundcloud and Youtube for you.
I highly recommend using it and after checking out the other popular services it seems to be the best.

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• November 06, 2019, 12:28:21
  • more
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 09:48:32
I have use Spinnup.com and Amuse.io in the past but these days I'm using DistroKid.com and I am very happy with that.
Main argument for DistroKid was the yearly fee that allows me to upload as many song as I like and even more importantly, allow me to keep all the uploaded songs online. Good stats and a number of other useful features as well. Main problem with Spinnup (and others I guess) was the per song fee, both for uploading and keeping them online. I'd pay to get a song uploaded and then pay for it yearly to keep it there. Same thing for the next song and the next and the next. Just keeping my songs up on the streaming services would pile up to a substantial amount. Amuse.io is free but very poor stats and overall rather "primitive"
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 20:04:02
HI, I use Routenote and not had any problems infact is is very easy to use.
You can pay a small amount and keep all your royalties or the free version they take 25% commission (which I use).
They put your music in all the big stores (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple, Deezer etc) and also monetize Soundcloud and Youtube for you.
I highly recommend using it and after checking out the other popular services it seems to be the best.
Thank you @realkevm ... have not heard of Routenote. Sounds interesting and I will check it out. 😎

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 20:15:02
Main argument for DistroKid was the yearly fee that allows me to upload as many song as I like and even more importantly, allow me to keep all the uploaded songs online. Good stats and a number of other useful features as well.

Thank you @Jambrains ... looks like Distrokid keeps bubbling to the top in various conversations I’ve been having on the subject.

That “one yearly fee” sounds manageable.

Also thanks to @Bill from November Sound  @realkevm  and @MrBouzouki  for thoughts.

Does anyone know whether joining one means you’ve lost your chance to change your mind? Maybe you wait a year until your subscription is up? Or ... is it possible to have multiple distributors? And if so... is that a good thing? Or dumb?

I’m suffering from “paralysis by analysis “ 🤔

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 22:23:36
I don't do a "subscription" with CDBaby. But, I think once your in your in. Once the song is published you can't unpublish it.  :(

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 23:20:15
I don't do a "subscription" with CDBaby. But, I think once your in your in. Once the song is published you can't unpublish it.  :(

Hmmm 🤔 good to know.. @Bill from November Sound

I’ve been researching (gotta love Google!) and it seems if you try to have more than one distributor that you get taken down from all sites until you make a choice... so if you already have a track committed to CD Baby then you can’t join a different distributor and upload that track!

Looks like Routenote is a good “beginner’s choice” Thank you @Jambrains !

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 23:58:17

Hmmm 🤔 good to know.. @Bill from November Sound

I’ve been researching (gotta love Google!) and it seems if you try to have more than one distributor that you get taken down from all sites until you make a choice... so if you already have a track committed to CD Baby then you can’t join a different distributor and upload that track!

Looks like Routenote is a good “beginner’s choice” Thank you @Jambrains !

And if really want to make yourself crazy 😜 I’ve read this once or twice in the past and just glazed over 🙄from too much information! I didn’t even remember that RouteNote was included in this !

https://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tunecore-ditto-mondotunes-zimbalam-or

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 20:49:00
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:43
Thanks for the aristake link @1roomstudio  ...reading now

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 18:06:39
Ok... so I’ve committed to RouteNote... so far so good. Here is what I like about it:

1) it costs NOTHING! If you agree to 15% commissions to RouteNote. Or you can pay a one-time fee per track and keep 100%.  ::thumb::
2) It gets your music on ALL PLATFORMS including many I’ve never heard of in China, India, South America etc  ::thumb::
3) it’s completely FLEXIBLE... you can include or not any of the platforms and you can take down any or all of your tracks... no permanent commitment. If you decide to go with another distributor later... no problem.  ::thumb::
4) You KEEP ALL OF YOUR RIGHTS!  ::thumb::

It seems to work... I was pleasantly surprised to find my music on Spotify, Apple, Amazon etc. within a few days simply by googling my name and a track name.

Thank you @realkevm for bringing this one to our attention 🙏😎

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 10:09:11
You are very welcome mate.
Now if you are in the UK get on Sentric Music (there will be an equalivant in other countries I guess) :)

xx
Any thoughts on distrokid?

Started by oorlab on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2018, 08:17:42
by oorlab
xx
A FAST and EASY way to SELL your MUSIC ONLINE (DistroKid Tutorial)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 23:58:10
by MrBouzouki
xx
Almost-a-baby

Started by Rightly on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2018, 13:35:38
by Rightly
xx
Love Me Baby