• Ego vs Reality
  • Started by mazzmarriott
Ego vs Reality
on: September 05, 2019, 21:33:21
As a songwriter I’m constantly doubting my ability  to create songs. One day I’m like ‘You know what I’m a really good songwriter and I know my songs are good enough to be in the charts and I should be rich and revered.’
Then other days I’m like ‘Mate, don’t give up the day job.’

I hope I’m not alone in thinking this.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 01:23:32
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Ego vs Reality
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 23:07:07
I have to admit that I have always been pretty clear as to where I stand in the song writing, performing and recording world. I never was one to look to the stars (or the charts) with all this. I have always been pretty good at keeping my expectations in check, even as I have foisted my recorded songs on the people in my life shamelessly for the past 30.

I have always felt as if I had something to say musically but, more importantly, that I absolutely HAD to say it.....no matter how it was received.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 05:37:42
Hi @mazzmarriott …. yes, and yes.
I think about this all the time but always tend toward the negative.
I'm always worried about what people think about my songs to the point that I won't put things up for review or ask for feedback. But, for some reason, I can't seem to stop writing them.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 14, 2019, 07:45:35
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 01:29:43
My tag-line on this forum sums it up for me really.

Underneath my Avatar.

"Let the creators... create"

It ebbs and flows but if the desire is with you,  create it,  be it lyrics, a demo or finished song. Then what you do with it depends upon experience, life goals, ability (to a point), chance. drive, bravado etc. etc.

The ego is a fragile soul for many that ebbs and flows too so sometimes 'it's just no happening' 'I'm rubbish at everything' is the order of the day.

But do you know what, music appreciation is a subjective experience for every person on the planet. I knew identical twins as a younger and they liked rock music like me, but they still had slightly different tastes in music, despite being so alike in most other things. Subtly different filters must have existed for music appreciation.

So I reckon never stress on the process, keep you antennae up, write and record what you want, when you want and do with it what you want.
If you don't like it today, you might do tomorrow. If you still don't like it, well somebody else just might ;-)

Just create :-)

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 23:55:50
You know ... it also kind of depends on your audience ... or if you even have an audience. There's something to be said for just creating whatever the heck you want, really.

Sometimes I'll write a "silly" to me song and it'll somehow catch on at live gigs.

Other times I see songwriters ... and I may be guilty of this to  .... except I don't actually sing ... really explaining their songs to people. The songs often don't even sound all that good to me but the performer gets by on his personality and his captive audience. I don't know if this makes sense  :-\ 
Just imagine someone who worked really hard to write this one song this year. At the gig he announces "This is my original song. It has so much meaning to me.... here's the story about it. etc." It's not really the song that is good but rather the story, the process, the connection with the audience. If this person has a big enough ego then they won't know the difference, right?

NS on our SoundCloud has some weird songs that we don't do live. Usually they are labeled as entry for songwriters in the kitchen challenge ..  ;)
I don't think people like them as actual songs but rather they like us and appreciate us trying to create something for the challenge. So I guess we're guilty as well.  :-\

I never feel very confident about any song I write.  :-[

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 14:49:52
Other times I see songwriters ... and I may be guilty of this to  .... except I don't actually sing ... really explaining their songs to people.

I am remembering back to when I actually performed my originals at gigs. Often times it was between sets with the band. That was for a few years back in the 70's. I had a few regular gigs as a solo artist as well where I mixed my stuff in with covers. I never announced my songs as originals....I always just played them.

I never feel very confident about any song I write.  :-[

Pondering that as well. I think that even that long ago I took the confidence factor out of my songwriting. Knowing that I needed to do it....and that a song doesn't really exist until it is heard (debatable?)......I just went for it no matter what.  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:28:20
  • more
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 19:13:29
 ;D ;D ;D i am late to this thread, but my advise to songwriters would be: only  make music because you like doing it very much  :ok: :yes: :yes: :yes: :dance: :dance: :dance:

if you don't like making music, you can always quit doing that, at any time
but don't quit your day job

this also has to do with my age  ;D ;D ;D :blackgrin:, and the fact  :P that i am not very talented as a songwriter  :yes: :yes:

but in fact, i would say keep both, the job and making music  ::thumb::

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 21:43:32
@mazzmarriott  - interesting thread. My point of view is that somehow music (making, listening, enjoying) is very much linked to language & communicating so it is a very human and almost inevitable thing to do. To make music for a living though,  without stepping into the fame trap (I am thinking here of the killing of Lennon and Prince writing Slave on his cheeck) is an art in itself.

For the amateurs such as myself and those with whom I make music, the interest that keeps me/us going is the discovery of something musical that has not been done yet... so stay curious.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 18:35:46
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 13:50:23
I think there are many sensible comments here already, but for me -yes, it’s just an opinion - the one sticking out is @MrBouzouki ‘s.
Create a lot. And embrace your crap songs. And concentrate on your good ones.
Because out of the 10 songs you’ll (and i’ll) make 2 or 3 are good.
If you know you are going to make another one tomorrow and onother one the day after, you’ll lose your fear for crap songs.
This is a lovely place to be, creatively speaking.
We let ourselves be intimidated. Charles Aznavour wrote some 1800 songs. Do you really believe he would share his crap with the world?

So, in short, my reaction would be:
Be fearless of your crap songs
Be proud of your good songs
You cannot ever write one, without the other. Forget your doubts.
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 22:42:40
You cannot ever write one, without the other. Forget your doubts.

Well said, Gus.

::thumb::

xx
*New Song* Kwame-Back to Reality

Started by maggakid on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 02:07:08
by Mar T.
xx
My new instrumental song "Western Ego Search Engine"

Started by Introverse77 on Songs for review

3 Replies