• End of November - the goals we set and the lessons we learn
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Well, November is coming to an end.

All summer we were telling people we'd finish a new album in ..... wait for it .... November!   :)   

We did it.  :yes:  Sort of.   :no:       

So we finished a 7 song EP and I learned a lot:  Especially about the low frequencies that you can't hear unless you bring the track out to the car or play it through a system with a subwoofer. Also the sound I need to get in my mixes to get it sound good on everything. ... and that you can't just distribute an album in two days  ;D   ....
But, yeah , it should be completely out in a week or two.

It doesn't matter much anyway. It won't be played all that much and I don't have live performances to promote it this winter. Well ... I would have.  :-\

I actually write a lot. We just don't get it all recorded and produced. I actually had to abandon some tracks this time because I couldn't get them right. One especially "Fortunate Ones" ( it's up on soundcloud ) was particularly heartbreaking. I kept working and working, remixing and remixing, sending to the mastering engineer and getting it back ... and .... all crap.  :(  Maybe the song is just garbage plain and simple. The EP would have been done weeks ago if I would have dumped it earlier.  Lesson learned.   ;)

Here's a track from it if you care to listen.

So anyone else out there have some goals you're working toward?

Any big projects?

Have you learned anything the hard way?

Cheers,
Bill from NS
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• December 29, 2020, 11:24:18
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Re: End of November - the goals we set and the lessons we learn
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 23:06:40
Congrats on the EP !!  :pompom:
And you even made the deadline - with more than a day to spare  :D
Joking aside, I bet it's not easy working toward a deadline, even if it's just one you set yourself. Unless that actually helps you stay focused and motivated?
Either way, well done on finishing such a big project!

Friday is a cool track. Catchy, and just very professional sounding in every aspect I can think of. I would say the mixing (and remixing...) work paid off, at least on my speakers and headphones this sounds great!

... and that you can't just distribute an album in two days  ;D
Do you have any plans to distribute the album for sale online or in retail? I did see the songs are all up on your YT page and intend to have a listen to all of them :)

So anyone else out there have some goals you're working toward?
No big plans, but does trying to make more time for music count?  :D (here goes another New Year's resolution...)

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:13:27
Hey @Michael  thanks for the words of support.

The other tracks up are an EP we're calling "LOST" because well it's all the goodish stuff compiled from the last few years. Kitchen challenges etc. that we're worth saving. Our lost album.  ;) 

It'll be out everywhere once it goes through the pipeline. Honestly, we only make money via YouTube from what I can tell. It's not that much and it's mainly all because of one song.

I think that's a good new years resolution!  :thumbsup: 
Actually a great resolution!!!!
You should totally do that! ... and you should consider setting a goal like a 5 song or 7 song EP by such and such a date. I think it works!  :)    especially if you have someone to hold you acountable.  C:-)   Thank God for @Tainted Icarus  he was with me every step of the way.  Mastering and sending back and forth test tracks ... it was crazy.  :) 

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• January 18, 2021, 19:08:17
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 13:15:32
Congrats!!! I will certainly check out the Waterloo you posted because - as you know - I can’t believe that with you working so hard a song can bring you to your knees.
And I hope your EP contains lots of singing and your saxofoon.

I personally have not posted much aside of the prompt writing.
If you press ‘home’ you will see ‘last post’ in the right side column.

My personal goal will be not to post my own last post.
Except for this one:

Enjoy the finally done the job time!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 22:29:00
And I hope your EP contains lots of singing and your saxofoon

Nee, Ik zing niet en saxofoon is voor de vogels.  ;D

Ha, ha! @LePlongeur 

Enough Dutch to be dangerous I say.  :dance:   

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 23:14:09
@Bill from November Sound   I can tell you put a lot of hard work into this. Hopefully you'll get a lot of listens.  Other than taking out a full page ad out in "Rolling Stone" (does anyone even read that anymore?)  I for one have no idea how a band can get exposure.

Maybe in the summer the Covid will be a thing in the past and they'll be places to play, although in the USA   there doesn't seem anyplace for lesser known bands to go.

When my dad was alive he would go to as many Blue Grass festivals as he could (my brother calls them Hillbilly Woodstocks) The bands would sell their merchandise and you could meet and talk to these guys.

IMO what you do musically is not easily classified, maybe a jazz pop like Nora Jones use to do  Do you know she was a public radio discovery? She was requested so often I guess the mainstream couldn't afford to ignore her.  What I guess I'm trying to say is who knows how these things happen, but sometimes they just do and putting your work out there certainly is not going to hurt.

Best to you and your family,

Vince

Vince

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 19:09:48
I am sort of a bit jealous. Doesn't happen often.
I wish I could write something like this. @Bill from November Sound
Hat off to @Vince
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:12:20
Good advice @Vince   :)

Are you working on anything new? Any goals set?

I find that hard to believe @LePlongeur  but thank you.  :)

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 15:44:55
I really didn't mean it as advise @Bill from November Sound  , but more of a rant and a rage against the way things are. so, you'll have to excuse me.

I was just happening to be thinking of one of my former accounting clients who was a realtor.  For the benefit of our European friends, real-estate sales is nothing like it is over there (or at least in Germany).  The guy is very successful at it, but the amount of money he spends on self promotion is phenomenal. And similar to music, everybody and his brother has a real estate license, so it's hard to stand out from the crowd.

As to getting back to the subject at hand..... my immediate goal is to finish my two chord challenge entry. For the long term I plan on going back and recording my stuff over, hopefully better. I still have a few ones that I haven't recorded yet also.

When things get back to "normal" I would like to start a band, or at least find some guys who want to hang out , drink beer, and play a few songs.   

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 16:53:52
Enough Dutch to be dangerous, huh?
But what’s missing so far is the reassurance that you will avoid posting your last post. And it would be a weight off my shoulders if you would post that, about your last post @Bill from November Sound
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Your music goals

Started by Vince on The kitchen café

22 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 06:46:26
by monty_lameer
xx
Jazz Guitar Lessons

Started by Marcus Nalgaber on Songwriting Ingredients

10 Replies
Last post September 14, 2020, 12:47:34