• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• January 18, 2021, 19:08:17
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Flappie
on: December 03, 2020, 07:58:34

Since a long time, in NL we have Flappie for a Christmas carol. To make up for all the standard drivel we have to put up with. The original is written and recorded by Youp van ‘t Hek. A very love or hate ‘cabaretier’.
I love his work. And try to stay on top of your game since 1980? If you manage to do that, you are a hero.

This is an interesting cover, in the sense that it was translated true to form. Very wordy, and a horror story if ever I heard one.

Enjoy your Christmas!
Kind regards, Gus

Re: Flappie
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 14:25:01
I don't think I've ever heard this before @LePlongeur . My favorites though still are The Kinks "Father Christmas" or the Pogues " Fairytale of New York"
Vince

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 14:47:15
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 14:52:54 by LePlongeur »
I don't think I've ever heard this before @LePlongeur . My favorites though still are The Kinks "Father Christmas" or the Pogues " Fairytale of New York"

It’s a Dutch song. It’s 43 years old and now -after all this time- Todd Rundgren has made an english version or cover of it.
I must say that he did this very ethical. It’s really an outstanding accomplishment with all these strange intervals.

And in some 24 hours some 315thousand listens!
Hats off!!!
Kind regards, Gus

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:59:34
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 22:36:12
@LePlongeur  - cool to post this. Though I am not a big fan of Youp van 't Hek nor Todd Rundgren - I liked this cover a lot. A well done cross-over from one to another language. There should be more like these. May be Ed Sheeran & Lady Gaga could do a version of Shaffy and List's Pastorale
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 13:47:28
 No offense if you like this everyone but ...

This @LePlongeur is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Everything about it: chord progression, melody, singing .... and GOD those lyrics?!?!  :bonk:

What are you trying to give me nightmares?   :(
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 14:21:23
Yes, @Bill from November Sound although it wasn’t me who wrote the song. And cabaret is not simply about entertainment. It has the intention to make you think and make you feel uncomfortable when you get the message.

If you only knew on how many breakthrough records Todd Rundgren has played maybe you’ll think again(cabaret or no cabaret).
Or maybe it’s just proof of your musicality. Quite frankly I personally think it’s horrible too. But that is the whole point of it.

It struck me as funny that a giant like Todd R. Made a very good English version of such an old Youp song.

You just go lie in Melissa’s arms tonight and I bet you’ll sleep like a baby.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 18:00:03
Well @LePlongeur I suppose if it is supposed to be horrible then it is actually really good!    :blackgrin:

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 17:18:27
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 19:40:16
oh, you are right @Bill from November Sound

the conclusion of the song is Horrible!!!

which is a good thing right  :yes: :yes: if i understand correctly

@LePlongeur
me, myself, and Pie