• Genius
  • Started by G
  • Wicked Deeds

Genius
on: January 09, 2014, 23:02:09
We all admire the most skilful writers and performers who make their craft look effortless.  Sometimes we refer to those people as genius'.  What are your thoughts about this - was John Lennon a genius or did he develop his gift, dedicating many, many hours, honing his skills to perfection? I've read that it takes somewhere in the region of ten thousand hours to achieve such a level of skill.  What are your thoughts?  Apply this consideration to any of your favourite artists.  I'd love to hear your opinions!  :)

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
Re: Genius
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 23:33:01
The 10,000 hours thing i think depends on how you apply the 10,000 hours. I could spend 20,000 hours trying to understand women and would still be a novice. :)

As for genius - this is tricky. The Beatles borrowed and developed a lot of other people's ideas - but for me they are genius because they did it at such a young age, in a short space of time, and just brought all their influences together to create a wonderful body of work. LSD probably helped later on.

I think Jim Morrison was a genius because of the way he married poetry with music and performance. He is my hero.

xx
Distracted by genius

Started by GTB on The kitchen café

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2017, 00:39:01
by Mark Luto