• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• April 08, 2021, 23:08:33
    • Encinitas CA
  • more
Get Your Songs Mixed by several pros for free
on: April 07, 2021, 22:08:23
I was given permission to post this here by Mar T, so a big thank you to him.

You songwriters that have original recordings from a  DAW where your individual tracks are Wav files can submit them to be mixed by a variety of engineers as part of a monthly challenge at https://mix-challenge.com/forum/.  All I need to say is to go there and see how it works. Like the Mods here, the main site moderator is in Europe.

The first step is to just send a link to a current mix of any song you would like to contribute to  Roland Löhlbach - Mix Challenge <staff@mix-challenge.com>

You do not give up any rights, and you have the option of collaborating with the engineers while they are working on your mix, and when they finished mixing it. In fact, back & forth discussion for the month that yor song is featured is a requirement. The site needs new songs desperately - so please get involved!

I work on Protools, was a pro recording engineer for 10 years in analog. I play compose, perform record and mix everything in my recordings.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• April 08, 2021, 10:31:25
  • more
Re: Get Your Songs Mixed by several pros for free
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 23:11:22
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 23:22:12 by Mo »
Hi @MotterPaul ,

cool that sounds great and I immediately liked the idea if forums will interact and collab ::thumb::

All I need to say is to go there and see how it works. Like the Mods here, the main site moderator is in Europe.

As said, i find it interesting coz  I like games all kind especially if creativity is involved so i went to the linked paged an guided myself through the rules ... and... i tried..... oh booooyyy!!! Thast a book to read :o ;D 8)!

I really tried to understand whatyou would like to get but honestly I fucked up latest at the point describing the so called "Integrity Check",  f.e.
you will receive a TXT template to fill out, containing the following information
the full name and run time of the song
the speed of the track (bpm) and/or a tempo map - should there be bpm changes
the time signature (e.g. 4/4, 6/8 or 3/4) and/or a documentation if there are signature changes
the song key (if possible)
a couple of sentences (we call this "Words by the Song Provider") what this track is about, what you'd like to see during mixing, what are absolute no-no's, possible special rules, etc.
some technical details of your recording process (in form of used equipment and/or special sound sets)
lyrics and a translation (especially if the track is in a foreign language and not in English)
an info on the desired output sampling rate and bitrate. Else the mixes will be provided in the same resolution as the source material (bar minimum 44kHz/24bit, if the source was 44kHz/16bit)
the production needs to be provided as individual WAV or AIFF tracks (aka: multitracks)
please render all mono tracks in mono, and all stereo tracks in stereo (panned in center)
all individual tracks must start on the same bar, and should ideally end on the same bar. If the track goes from bar 2 to bar 204, all tracks should have the same length (read: consolidated files, strip silence prior to consolidating is not necessary, the mix participants handle that)
we do recommend to render one extra bar of silence both in front and at the end of the production, to prevent sudden cutoffs of signals (e.g. delay/reverb trails), or smeared transients at the beginning of the song
the source material can be at anything between 44/24 (bar minimum!) to 96/32. Though please be reasonable with the Sampling Rate, and please do not Dither or Bit Truncate anything!
the individual tracks should not drop lower than -24dBFS digital peak (average) and not be higher than -1dBFS digital peak (maximum) in terms of signal strength - this is to prevent high noise floors and/or clipping
If possible, Guitars and Bass should be provided in DI form - but please document how you recorded/treated the guitars for

Don't understand me wrong, please! I understand at one hand the mix challenge attendees need all this information to maybe deliver  perfect as possible as I guess they all will have this true technique passion.... ;)
But other hand , and i just could speak from my view, as small little songwriter , that pay more attention to content  itself  or just have fun with create something than technical  campaigning things.. I simply couldn't deliver 60% of your questioned points! I even don't know what they mean. ::) O0 That scares me and  cooled down excitingment for it.

Do you really think al this rules and points are necessary? As said i think the basic idea is awsome  and basically i could imagine provide some food for challenge but the 'rules' and  needed  'side infos'  and preparations are too much i fear. For me. But maybe its just me. I hope!!! 

Good luck with it, I wish you a lot of stuff to work with !;D Thank you very much for posting it here, it will be interesting to follow. ::thumb:: ::Rachel:: :)

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:16:24
Hi @MotterPaul  good to hear from you again!
You've been busy it seems.  :)
Good idea!
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

• MotterPaul
  • Patissier
  • Man o' World

• April 08, 2021, 23:08:33
    • Encinitas CA
  • more
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:21
I will be honest. The engineers who get involved with his contests are good and have top-notch studios in many cases.  I just submitted a song and I also thought it would be fine for engineers to mix even though it was recorded in my own unique style where I often premix tracks together (horn parts, drums), etc.  Roland wanted me to give him audio tracks from my original midi files that did not have any effects on them, and I even had to go and find the original drum midi files and map it to Addictive Drums and record each drum as a separate channel.

He does not want any tracks with compression or other effects on them.  He wants basically clean audio files that are not over-processed.  The point is that his mixers have complained if/when the song to be mixed is not recorded somewhat professionally. They are like "why bother?" BUT, they also dedicate a lot of time to really working on these mixes and they compete with only one song per month, so the recording has to be good.

The other things, like the comments from the composer, etc, are really not critical. It also is not required that you have DI for any guitar.

Anyone who has a song that hopefully was recorded in a studio (or a nice home studio) qualifies, and he works with you when he gets the tracks to make sure they workable for him. In my case, because I am a home studio composer without even a real studio, just a garage, it took me a long time to get my tracks up to his standards.

But I know that there are songwriters who do regularly record in decent studios, with live drums, or well-played midi drums, and DI guitars,  who could probably qualify for this easily. He did tell me he prefers to get recordings where there are at least 16 tracks.

My track had a drum machine, but I took the original midi files and broke it out into separate drum tracks, I had 3 guitar tracks with no DI. And the other tracks were audio that came from midi files for horns, strings, and piano. He does not want the midi files.

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• April 08, 2021, 10:31:25
  • more
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:57
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:30:07 by Mo »
Hi, thank you very much for your explaining,.

....edit...

As said great idea, i will follow just like an audition.
I know a lot of genius, great musician here that probably easy could serve all points of your  rules , if they want :)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:28:10
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 16:37:35
My recording gear is truly museum worthy, so I cannot join.

But I do want to compliment you @MotterPaul (and of course @Mar T. ) for taking this lovely idea into the kitchen.

Good luck to all who will be joining the challenge.
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Huge library of free instruments for the FREE Decent Sampler

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

0 Replies
Last post March 17, 2021, 10:40:12
by MrBouzouki
xx
Mixed Feelings

Started by Ehsan on Lyrics

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2017, 10:13:42