• Good Cities In The World For Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter And Live Music?
  • Started by Theodorekidd
  • Theodorekidd
  • Saucier
  • The Kidd In His Bedroom With A Dream...

• December 01, 2020, 15:44:43
    • Melbourne, Australia
  • more
Hey All,

A bit of an irrelevant question with the travel bans going on at the moment, but from your point of view, what cities, states, and/or countries would you recommend for a traveling singer-songwriter? I would love to gig and busk when I travel so that I don't have to entirely rely on savings. I've heard that Berlin, Nashville, and Spain are great for live music - just to name a few. Which places come to mind for you?

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:32:17
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
@Theodorekidd   - nice question.
Obviously Paris - they have a bureau where you can get a permit.
https://throwingmyarmsaroundparis.com/2013/08/20/so-you-think-you-can-busk-in-paris-eight-trade-secrets-from-a-pro-not-me/

And West- Poland - specially Torun and Bydgoszcz have a fine street atmosphere for busking in july - sept.
Edinburg, Scotland during the Fringe Festival.

new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

• Theodorekidd
  • Saucier
  • The Kidd In His Bedroom With A Dream...

• December 01, 2020, 15:44:43
    • Melbourne, Australia
  • more
@Theodorekidd   - nice question.
Obviously Paris - they have a bureau where you can get a permit.
https://throwingmyarmsaroundparis.com/2013/08/20/so-you-think-you-can-busk-in-paris-eight-trade-secrets-from-a-pro-not-me/

And West- Poland - specially Torun and Bydgoszcz have a fine street atmosphere for busking in july - sept.
Edinburg, Scotland during the Fringe Festival.

Legendary, thank you!

Before COVID-19 the city I'm in had a decent busker and street performer scene but over the last 4 or 5 years that changed and a lot of the local buskers who were making a meager living left. The city is losing its charm due to corporate greed and gentrification. Artists are being forced out due to very high rents as are the cool clubs and shops. The filthy rich ruin everything. With COVID-19 putting independent club owners and shop keepers out of business the corporate vultures are getting ready to swoop in and capitalize.

Our drum circle has been dwindling over the years because downtown is becoming unsafe due to the homelessness.

The filthy rich are the worst tippers for servers and buskers.
Create!

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• December 01, 2020, 01:33:43
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:00:04 by Monty Cash Music »
@Theodorekidd

I'm a long-term travelling street performer that has travelled for seven years with street music as my primary form of income.

I've found great success generally in the smaller centres around the world.

Rarely do I do well in the larger cities.

The only exception to this rule is Berlin. Specifically the restaurants, bars, cafes and markets in and around Kreuzberg. You're not 'busking' - I never made money 'busking' in Berlin - you're asking the bar owner or relevant person permission to play music for their patrons for twenty or so minutes then you pass the hat.

Passing the hat always makes more money than busking.

Unless you are in Cork.

If you go to Ireland - stay out of Dublin. It's saturated and people have a natural rejection of street performers.

If you go to France, get out of Paris - though I have heard some people do very well there... again but that was because of passing the hat. You'll need to learn a little french.  Excuse moi, pui je jouer de la musique devant votre magazin si vu plait?

Something like this...

The smaller places in France, the better. French people LOVE music. So do other cultures but in a small town and a little cafe and you ask to play music, you're like a walking panacea.

Copenhagen was good, until it became over done and also Christiania got some really bad press for murders and things as well as residents making you play right in the centre where there are no people - so... Nice people there though.

The season really matters with the music...

Turkey is awesome, lovely people but you will make next to nothing.

As for permits, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. If you arrive in a town and the first thing you look for is how to get a permit - in my opinion - you're doing street music wrong, your music is your life and why do you need permission from the government to be who you are?

Some exceptions to this rule - italy in parts, and Spain in parts, will confiscate your instruments outright.

The best advice for street music is from other street musicians - not the government. But you've also got to have a head on your shoulders - they are making a living as well and they're not exactly going to always give you straight advice (having said that, sometimes you meet some lovely fellow musicians without this prerogative).

Anyways, good luck, I can provide further info about other locations anywhere from Turkey to Ireland.

ps. If 20 people read this and then head to Berlin and Cork immediately, suddenly those locations will become much less viable. A good general rule is get out of the big cities and into the smaller centres. For example, earlier this year I was in the Netherlands and I didn't bother to play in Amsterdam - instead, I went straight to my friend's place to a small city called Enschede - I made great money and the people loved me. People are so much nicer in smaller places.
People have considered as of late the idea that I am an extremist... but actually I am a realist. And in reply to anything you have to say to that I ask, "Have you damn well looked at reality recently?!!"

Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

@Theodorekidd

I'm a long-term travelling street performer that has travelled for seven years with street music as my primary form of income.

I've found great success generally in the smaller centres around the world.

Rarely do I do well in the larger cities.

The only exception to this rule is Berlin. Specifically the restaurants, bars, cafes and markets in and around Kreuzberg. You're not 'busking' - I never made money 'busking' in Berlin - you're asking the bar owner or relevant person permission to play music for their patrons for twenty or so minutes then you pass the hat.

Passing the hat always makes more money than busking.

Unless you are in Cork.

If you go to Ireland - stay out of Dublin. It's saturated and people have a natural rejection of street performers.

If you go to France, get out of Paris - though I have heard some people do very well there... again but that was because of passing the hat. You'll need to learn a little french.  Excuse moi, pui je jouer de la musique devant votre magazin si vu plait?

Something like this...

The smaller places in France, the better. French people LOVE music. So do other cultures but in a small town and a little cafe and you ask to play music, you're like a walking panacea.

Copenhagen was good, until it became over done and also Christiania got some really bad press for murders and things as well as residents making you play right in the centre where there are no people - so... Nice people there though.

The season really matters with the music...

Turkey is awesome, lovely people but you will make next to nothing.

As for permits, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. If you arrive in a town and the first thing you look for is how to get a permit - in my opinion - you're doing street music wrong, your music is your life and why do you need permission from the government to be who you are?

Some exceptions to this rule - italy in parts, and Spain in parts, will confiscate your instruments outright.

The best advice for street music is from other street musicians - not the government. But you've also got to have a head on your shoulders - they are making a living as well and they're not exactly going to always give you straight advice (having said that, sometimes you meet some lovely fellow musicians without this prerogative).

Anyways, good luck, I can provide further info about other locations anywhere from Turkey to Ireland.

ps. If 20 people read this and then head to Berlin and Cork immediately, suddenly those locations will become much less viable. A good general rule is get out of the big cities and into the smaller centres. For example, earlier this year I was in the Netherlands and I didn't bother to play in Amsterdam - instead, I went straight to my friend's place to a small city called Enschede - I made great money and the people loved me. People are so much nicer in smaller places.

What you wrote is sage advice.

I've only busked in my small to medium city but I've seen the scene change and the downtown has changed. Buskers were a tourist attraction and the city welcomed them  but the tourists who have been comming here since the big hotel chains took over seem to be a different breed of rich untight snobs who don't know how to have fun. For many years my wife was a waitress and it was her experience that working folks were the best tippers and the most polite. There are exceptions. 

xx
Looking for singer / vocals for my world cup 2018 song (feel good song)

Started by Jellody on Collaborations

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 04:49:29
by reidmoto
xx
Good To Be Free live & acoustic

Started by realkevm on Live performances

3 Replies
Last post March 16, 2019, 03:09:49
by Kellyanneg
xx
Lyricist Looking For Singer Songwriter

Started by grimbo on Collaborations

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 21:39:44
by grimbo
xx
I'm looking for a Singer/Songwriter for this track!

Started by Nero Dust on Collaborations

14 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 13:42:28
by Rachel_D
xx
21 Year old Singer Songwriter from Argentina

Started by Matu Tiemersma on Me

9 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 02:58:17
by Matu Tiemersma