• Help understanding British Comedy
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Help understanding British Comedy
on: March 05, 2019, 02:10:59
I keep watching all this old British comedy stuff. I love it.  No one else around here really likes it .......
What do the English actually like?  :)

@DanJames @realkevm @MichaelA @MrBouzouki @Dakoda 

Anyone else?  :)

Actually is there something else I should be watching?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Re: Help understanding British Comedy
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 05:19:20
Hey Bill,

Great that you’re enjoying some classic British comedy.

I must confess that I don’t really find any of the acts on your list that funny (apart from Benny Hill, but I think his shows are now banned on UK tv for being too sexist....).

I know plenty of people who think Monty Python is hilarious , but I’ve never really understood it (probably not clever enough!)

All very subjective of course, but I prefer the likes of Frank Skinner, Steve Coogan, Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse.

Dan

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:50:15
You should check out Fawlty Towers mate.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:28:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 14:01:47
The best I can do for British comedy is Wallace and Gromit.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 13:26:22
Hi @Bill from November Sound , I was pondering this question recently, i.e. what's the main difference between UK and US comedy. Mainly because I find my songs which employ comedy or quirkiness have generally not been as well received by US, or indeed mainland European listeners, compared to listeners from the UK. (Although not everyone in the UK likes them either, ha!)  ;D

I came across this video which tackles the suject quite well and talks about a more positive and optimistic outlook being prevalent among Americans. By contrast UK comedy is more dark and cynical - and features a lot of guys who are failures, while the US like winners!

I really dont like US comedians/comedy actors myself like say Adam Sandler or Melissa Mccarthy, as they are often so obvious and play for easy belly laughs. While smart comedies like Mash (of old) or stand ups like Rita Rudner or script writers like the late Nora Ephron, show that the US can produce the smartest comedies, it's just that that kind of stuff is not so mainstream in your own back yard. Stuff like The Office over here, on the other hand, gets mass audiences. In the video there is a good contrast between the US version of The Office and that of our own.

For my own songs, it has made me realise that if I am going to write in the quirky style there is probably more of an audience for it in my own country. That's OK, I can't change the world, so it's just the way it is!  ;) Interesting topic!
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 01:34:04
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 18:54:36
 ;D ;D ;D @Bill from November Sound ....i am with @realkevm , i think fawlty towers is perfect

you probably have seen it, but if not...try it, it is fantastic
me, myself, and Pie

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• October 17, 2019, 16:34:47
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 16:38:42
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 16:50:19 by LePlongeur »
The master singers.
My favorites?
- the weather forecast
- the Highway Code
And yes, I did the poll too.

I am not english, not even brittish. They are our next door neighbors.
And I like that.

Vivian Stainshall and Steve Winwood (ex spencer Davis group, traffic):

One of the versions of the lyrics were
Nice and tidy
Tidy and nice
That’s the way
That we’ll leave your hise
Cleanliness is clearly an obsession we share
To you dear house wifes, we raise our hair

Didn’t make it this one.
But we got the other one, exactly one minute.
Did you ever hear one of the radio flashes? Specially the one that he made with Keith Moon (The Who).
Talking about humor.
Enjoy!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 22:17:43
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 22:25:07 by Vince »
@Bill from November Sound

I'm not sure what British comedy is these days. In the olden days (please don't hit the geezer alarm) American Public TV,  when they were doing their fund drives and start showing the good stuff, would show all the old shows like Mr. Bean, Ben E Hill etc in 10 minute increments before spending the next 50 begging for money.

I think those shows have gone the way of the DoDo Bird.

I have BBC America on cable and they do have the Graham Norton show which has it's moments. Other than that I don't know what they show anymore. Even the American comedians, I find less than funny anymore.

BTW I voted for Mr Bean  ::thumb::

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 22:26:54
wait @Vince people still watch television? ….  :D  …. I forgot about that. I mean I watch Mr. Bean and all that on YouTube. I can't get enough.  :D

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 22:34:36
OK @Bill from November Sound   you can hit the geezer alarm  C:-)

• DonMar
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• September 01, 2019, 23:48:16
    • Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 21:03:23
Speaking of British humour, has anyone seen Ricky Gervais' s '6-part series 'Derek'?

I find it both heartbreaking and hilarious. I've watched it three times - once alone, once with friends, and once with my brother. We all laughed and cried together.

Good stuff.  :)

Donna
Honour the earth. Without It, we'd be nowhere. - D.D.

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 22:30:47
No @DonMa ... I haven't seen it.  :) Truthfully - if it's sad I probably can't deal.   

• DonMar
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• September 01, 2019, 23:48:16
    • Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 12:11:40
@Bill from November Sound, oh no, it's not sad. On the contrary. It's actually - IMO - heartwarming, even uplifting. Perhaps 'heartbreaking' was the wrong word to use. Like life itself, the series has a number of poignant moments, but these are over-ridden by the moments of humour (and in fact are a part of those moments).

Donna