• Karaoke Track for an NS song?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Karaoke Track for an NS song?
on: May 12, 2020, 15:28:51
I wrote a song for Father's Day.

Copyrights done, published and distributed through CD Baby, worldwide access

I put up a lyric video.

It goes nuts this time of year.   :o

Someone asked about a karaoke track because the kids want to sing it to their dad for Father's Day. Is making a karaoke track a good thing or a bad thing? I could make an unlisted link or something where I turn down the lead vocals.  Is there a danger to my rights by doing that?
I mean imagining kids singing an NS song to their parents is really cool to me.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd be very grateful.  :)

@Dutchbeat  .... maybe you could tag some with pro experience?

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Re: Karaoke Track for an NS song?
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 23:38:31
Okay I'm just going to guess and see if anyone here can help me. Sorry if I tagged you and shouldn't have  … or vice versa.     :)

@Daud Aur Yahudy  @Michael  @George Karadimos  @1roomstudio  @Kolohe   @Zedd   @Jambrains   @lauder    @robertkc   @Timothy Smith  @JimByrne  @Neal    @jaustinwilliams   @DonMar    @Lane

Does anyone know if it's okay to do that? Anyone have any similar experience? 

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:14:52

I wish I could give you an answer but I really don't know about that.

There's a karaoke site I found out about only because I was recording a CD for a  person who was a country star impersonator and he wanted to use those tracks with his voice for a CD.  The idea was he wasn't going to sell the CDs. They were only mp3 but I made it sound pretty decent. The CD could have been distributed.

I guess what I'm saying is there might be the potential for someone to track it with their own vocals for commercial purposes. That probably wasn't the intention but you never know.
I would be careful if it were me.

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• May 31, 2020, 21:53:06
  • more
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:30:31
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:41:02 by Lane »

Hey Bill, there should not be any trouble with making a track to your song, you can copy write that track to if you wish..all the lyric I write and the tracks with vocals...I always have a track with just the music [without vocals] too. all are copy write,. So now I can let anyone sing and credit them, but with my lyric and music, or just the lyric, or just the music.  You never lose your copy write, unless you sell it. You can sell " exclusive rights" and still keep the copy write. About the only thing with a song you can`t "copy write" is the
tittle.

I don`t know if this will help....Lane

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 22:56:06
Thanks @1roomstudio  Thanks @Lane    very helpful!  :thumbsup:

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 21:49:51
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:46:14
SMULE
I don't know if it means anything in English, but it sure does in Amsterdam dialect.
We (in da Kitchen) used to have someone who used SMULE to send/sent his backing to a lady singer in Venezuela (???)  to have it completed. SMULE, in other words, deals with partly finished songs for someone else to finish it.

I don't remember the name of the guy, but searching for the way SMULE handles this might give you some clues @Bill from November Sound ?
Good hunting!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 16:17:04
Thanks @LePlongeur  … I think I remember that SMULE thing, maybe?  ::)   I think my situation is different because the track is already recorded by us and the YouTube video is pretty successful … at least for a nobody loser who lives in the woods in Connecticut  :-\ …. People found the video and they want to sing it.
I guess I'll make a karaoke track.
Can't hurt I guess.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 17:14:09
 I learned something already.
If I do (question mark) the Apple mafia does (?) a trick. Like in Venezuela (?)

To come back to your question. I would say that the use of my backing for household/family situations is OK, but not for commercial use.
But what do I know? Without brackets.

Is that a way to approach things? @Bill from November Sound
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 21:39:55
So I own copyrights. It's published worldwide so if someone covers it on YouTube or Spotify or something I collect royalties - big bucks! $$$  :yawnee:   :no:   
I'll make the karaoke track. It feels really weird doing it though. I hope I'm not making a mistake.   :-\

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 05:45:47
Do you think about doing extra work for something you have serious doubts about.
I wouldn't do that.
Crazy Dutch saying: In case of doubt, don't overhaul/pass @Bill from November Sound
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 18:17:16
Thanks @1roomstudio  Thanks @Lane    very helpful!  :thumbsup:

Well ... it was actually @Timothy Smith ... but since you mentioned me... and because this is a very interesting post, I’ll have to weigh in.

What a great idea! To write a holiday themed song that people can enjoy year after year. I think @Lane gave some good advice. I’ll be conscious of creating a finished track for vocals and no vocals from now on....

It struck me that the first song I ever wrote... at age 13, was a Mother’s Day song. The family went to Grandparents house for a few days and I had no way to get a gift for Mom... she loved it and I was off the hook! I never played it again... about a year ago I found it... not bad... Thanks to the inspiration of this post from @Bill from November Sound  I might just record it. I could use a little bump on my YouTube channel once a year 😎

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 18:30:02
Oh sorry @Timothy Smith  I accidentally thanked @1roomstudio for you help .... :-[   ..... am I terrible or what?  :doublebonk:
I'll say @1roomstudio  .... it's scary the kind of plays it gets. When it started passing 15k last year I had to stop looking.  :o Yeah, the lesser holidays are the way to go. We're going to do some more as well.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• May 31, 2020, 07:48:13
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 20:33:51
I'd think of it as a 'promotional' thing @Bill from November Sound.

Make it CC attributed only for the Karaoke version, i.e. no vocals. The normal version is a separate beast.

If it's free to use with attribution then everybody get to hear about the November Sound brand :-)

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 16:31:34
I'd think of it as a 'promotional' thing @Bill from November Sound.

Make it CC attributed only for the Karaoke version, i.e. no vocals. The normal version is a separate beast.

If it's free to use with attribution then everybody get to hear about the November Sound brand :-)

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

I don't think I can do that.

Well ..... distributed through cdbaby .... so if I use the song in a video it gets a copyright claim on it ..... by cdbaby on behalf of me.  ::)
In America once a song is published anyone has the right to cover it as long as they pay the mechanical licensing fees. I also set it for youtube so anyone can cover it on youtube but there is a copyright claim on their video so it is monetized in my name.
I'm making big $ here  :-\ :sleepy:

xx
Voices Over Coffee... karaoke!

Started by Rabid Parrot on Live performances

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 13:07:30
by Zedd
xx
The Breakthrough (A Rabid Parrot Rap) - Karaoke!

Started by Rabid Parrot on Live performances

1 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 19:48:06
by Dutchbeat
xx
anyone better than me who can create a new instrumental track for this song?

Started by Clanik92 on Collaborations

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 23:47:53
by Clanik92
xx
lonely guitar track seeks song

Started by DanJames on Collaborations

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 22:52:23
by MrBouzouki
xx
Odd request. Need a new instrumental track built around this song!

Started by Rabid Parrot on Collaborations

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2016, 22:04:42
by oorlab