• Kitchen Acoustic Cafe on Zoom - Test run this Saturday
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Re: Kitchen Acoustic Cafe on Zoom - Test run this Saturday
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 22:32:50
Hey so nice to meet you in person and to see your smiling faces @Katze Konigsberg @Mo @Dutchbeat @budhabuilding @LePlongeur @oorlab @Pleudoniem @Layerson  !!!   :D 

@Pleudoniem  1st thanks for liking our facebook page! 2nd you sounded just fine … really good actually! ... This was our test run to try out different things … I think we all learned a lot! Short notice was purposeful so we didn't have to figure out technical issues in front of a hundred people.  ;D

@Katze Konigsberg  … you sounded great!  Your voice sounded wonderful the first time and on the second song we could hear the guitar as well.

@oorlab  ... nice work! You play a lot of instruments well. Very cool! We are going to have great fun at the kitchen electric café

@Layerson  .... awesome ... nice sound, man! I especially like the song about the umbrella store!  ;)

@budhabuilding  ... Hans  ... I can't thank you enough. You are the best!  :)

@Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo  thanks for being part of the new things we're trying and thanks for all of your support and involvement with the Songwriters in the Kitchen

Melissa and I had a great time! The mods will have some discussion about this and hopefully we can continue with more.  :ok:  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 23:01:47
Good job organizing this event, a real interesting shared experience and who better to spend a couple of enriching hours with than the Kitcheners  :dance: :shinyteeth:  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Lyrics are not my strong suit, but I take pride in pushing for all the Umbrella Store fellas out there  ;D (Usually I just write what comes into my mind, can’t say it always makes sense. This time I blame it on my Lyrics app, it makes me keep track of my syllables... and suggests rhymes... Umbrella Store wasn’t one of them...hehe)

Might even be interested in joining again, hopefully much better prepared and with technology working. But, for a first try I’m very pleased with the extra karma and some kind feedback  ::headphone::

::Rachel::
/Micke
Layerson (a.k.a. Mikael Lagersson)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 09:34:03
Hope this finds you well.....

I've looked forward to the yesterday's session. Looked forward too, to get to know (a bit) some people I haven't met before.
So yes, @Mo you were sorely missed.

Apart from all the things I am involved in, I have two 'mantelzorgadressen' too. Two places, were I take care of people, one of them being Alzheimer mum.

My availability for sessions like these is/are limited. But my love for music is huge.

The three quarters of an hour I was part of this were great fun.
The sound quality takes me back 50 years to the pirate stations.

My way of working, as well as my gear makes participation unlikely, but hey: What's an artist without an audience?
Thank you @budhabuilding and @Bill from November Sound for doing what you did.

Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 22:03:41
  • more
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 09:48:32
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:52:10 by Mo »
: What's an artist without an audience?

Morning!
Thought this either would be just nice to be the audience ;)

@LePlongeur, well I'm concious I even met you yesterday, wasnt you the guy who rattled that loud with the tea cup?? :D
All in all i was present 5 quarters because i read somewehereelse  it starts at 19.00 - and i left at 20.15 ... but while waiting i had interesting chat with crazy DB who were lost in space but thougt he is at shore in Hawaiii. Look forward to next time!

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 11:08:07
Yes, @Mo I’m really sorry for the noise. I never would have thought that a simple cup could make so much noise. But felt the need to address a counter culture. Tea or coffee against all the beer and liquor at 8 pm.
I can never be sure that there are no small children watching. We need not only tell the world to behave better, but also set an example.
Partly joking of course.

Getting acquainted must wait till the next time.

@budhabuilding
Is it perhaps a good idea to kick off these sessions with a short introduction? Not all the Kitcheners have filled in the profile or show maps indicating they live on the moon.

And I must say, I like the international thought behind all this very much.
To everyone: a fantastic Easter!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 09:54:15
Hi all!

Didn't know where to put up this info, but as you know I tried using my regular soundcard in the test session, to process the sound pre sending it via the virtual soundcard Blackhole into the Zoom meeting.

It all went well, except that I couldn't hear the processed sound myself, so it was a somewhat strange experience, getting no feedback of the actual output/sound.

@budhabuilding I think I've sorted it out, and I've tried the solution in a Zoom test meeting (which is an excellent way to test audio settings, get a feel for how it's gonna sound).

Anyways, the solution in MacOS X is to create a Multiple-Out soundcard, which also combines the Blackhole with a physical soundcard. A multi-out soundcard sends audio out through multiple soundcards at once, so that way it's possible to hear the sound from the DAW and simultaneously send it to Zoom. In Zoom, you can't use this as an audio source (hearing) because it will not sound correctly, only local usage is possible, but in Zoom I had several soundcards that produced correct sound, among them the combined virtual soundcard.

Just let me know if anyone wants to know more about the tech details or test it out.

(PS. I also tried out  a way for multiple monitoring, by using multiple aux and bus signals, that also works but would require an additional physical soundcard or computer... that would also work, but this is more a Logic specific solution.)

/Micke

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 14:31:34
Thanks @Layerson

All tech solutions are welcome.

Could you also check the frequency's of all your soundcards.... is it 44.1 48 or even 88.2 or 96?

thanks for the info

Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 15:26:08
Thank you all @Bill from November Sound @Dutchbeat @Katze Konigsberg @Pleudoniem @oorlab @Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo @Layerson
and sorry to be the nerdy guy .... if you want any help setting up just give me a request

Let’s just say a little bird told me, that Ella whispers: talk nerdy to me.
So, why are you sorry.?

But @budhabuilding I am a little bit ashamed to be not nerdy. I can offer you nothing but rather too heartily patting on the shoulder and hope that all’s well that ends well.

But, I wondered, if I leave the teacup downstairs, will there be another test run this evening?
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 15:56:48
No, not tonight @LePlongeur   … sorry. I wish we were, though.  :)

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 16:16:36
Thanks @Layerson

All tech solutions are welcome.

Could you also check the frequency's of all your soundcards.... is it 44.1 48 or even 88.2 or 96?

thanks for the info

Well, checked in Audio/Midi-settings and all the culprit soundcards are set to 44.1. Hadn’t even noticed that.

(It used to be I could set my Saffire 6USB up as high as 192 but for some reason I can’t do that now, maybe I should upgrade the OS? The BlackHole soundcard registers with settings as high as 192 though.)

/Micke

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 17:58:14
No, not tonight @LePlongeur   … sorry. I wish we were, though.  :)

Due to Coranatic circumstances, the weekly meet up will be increased to once every two months... (Political announcement)
Only joking of course, but yes it's a pity.

Kind regards, Gus

Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 18:51:05
Hey no politics @LePlongeur  ... ;D @Layerson is in the midst of some amazing technological discoveries!  :D
Seriously, I'm following you @Layerson:ok: New Windows updates did a number on my saffire as well and @budhabuilding can attest to that. I'm going to do some tests today as well.

Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 22:02:41
Haha @Bill from November Sound  :blackgrin:

I should really have more knowledge around Logic, this has actually made me discover quite a lot. There is another setting, and @budhabuilding was on to something last time around when he connected remotely to my Mac. It’s possible for soundcards that have multiple outs in Logic to mirror the outs, but then again that’s only good if you connect another soundcard to one pair of outs (I could do that) but like the virtual solution better. Works with zero latency.

/Micke

Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 15:00:31
Something tells me the solution had better be an easy one. I don't think I'd buy an extra soundcard to get a meeting going in Zoom, and I don't want to be tinkering too much with the settings I have and that are currently working. I have an internal Soundcard, and an RME400, but I can only activate one at a time. If I am missing the point here, then that is evidence of what I am trying to say.

I am an experienced user and I can usually find my way round, but I am not a nerd - not when it comes to technology, that is...  ::) I predict some of us might get lost if there is too much trickery to cope with.

So, I'd be inclined to look for a platform that has little enough latency to work acceptably, even if it may not work perfectly. 

I'll quote our famous philosopher Johan Cruyff here: 'Doing it in a simple way is the most difficult'. I think he had a point there.

Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 21:15:08
Something tells me the solution had better be an easy one. I don't think I'd buy an extra soundcard to get a meeting going in Zoom, and I don't want to be tinkering too much with the settings I have and that are currently working. I have an internal Soundcard, and an RME400, but I can only activate one at a time. If I am missing the point here, then that is evidence of what I am trying to say.

I am an experienced user and I can usually find my way round, but I am not a nerd - not when it comes to technology, that is...  ::) I predict some of us might get lost if there is too much trickery to cope with.

So, I'd be inclined to look for a platform that has little enough latency to work acceptably, even if it may not work perfectly. 

I'll quote our famous philosopher Johan Cruyff here: 'Doing it in a simple way is the most difficult'. I think he had a point there.

Let's face it @Pleudoniem  @Layerson   .... some of us are gear heads! WE can't help ourselves. We love to tinker with complicated technological things. ;)
But, as I said at our meeting .... for the "acoustic cafe" we are going to allow people to be simple. If people want to play a couple songs into their phone I'm completely supporting that!  :ok:
We are working on another option for the "electric cafe" that will be more complicated but allow for less latency.

xx
After the Kitchen Acoustic Cafe ....

Started by Bill from November Sound on Live performances

15 Replies
Last post April 30, 2020, 07:52:00
by LePlongeur
xx
Run - Acoustic Alice Cover Comp (Update 2017-02-12)

Started by Jambrains on Songs for review

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 17:32:05
by Goatrelated
xx
Bohemian Guitar Café - Only Acoustic Guitar Music

Started by Marcus Nalgaber on Songs for review

14 Replies
Last post August 20, 2020, 13:47:12
by Marcus Nalgaber
xx
kitchen meeting via Zoom?