• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 20:14:49
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
LeRoi Jones an the New York Art Quartet
on: December 19, 2019, 06:19:26
@Monti Karus posted his poetry/whiskey performace in 'Other Arts'. A very powerful performance.
It reminds me of Amiri  Baraka or LeRoi Jones, as he called himself in the 60's.

What they did with the sound on this YouTube entry is a mystery to me. But hey, what am I complaining.

Black da da nihilismus.

Enjoy!
Kind regards, Gus

Re: LeRoi Jones an the New York Art Quartet
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 16:23:35
@LePlongeur

This work is amazing, I feel honoured you compare me to such work.

It reminds me a lot of this track here by Lauren Hill

Feel free to post more, I need an education...
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 16:37:24

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 09:41:38
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:49:35 by LePlongeur »
Very nice indeed @Monti Karus !
I don't perform, because I've developed the habit of writing all lyrics and songs in one flow of happiness.
All my songs are played (recorded - as it is my way of writing) only once.

We all know that our brain is a chemical thing. People in love or running the marathon can tell you all about it. Playing/songwriting provokes the exact same hormones. And if you write/associate/play each day at the same time, your brain is trained to expect this influx of your own happy hormones.

So to capture the urgency is a goal worth striving for. And you will get your reward. 
And talking about who needs education? We all do. Really!
I like your song and liked it too.
Keep on keepin' on, said Curtis Mayfield.
Kind regards, Gus

As an afterthought:
Please be aware that there are many not native speakers in your audience. IRL and here.

So pronounciation and  typing down your text can be important.

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 12:39:27
It's nice to meet a fellow respecter of spontaneity.

I appreciate you coming and listening to the track.

It is quite funny this game of perception played with things in relation to this style. I could walk up to someone with a CD in my hand and say, I've put a lot of work into this, I'd really appreciate it if you gave it a listen. Then, if they please, they'll listen intently and find the good things about it they like and get back to you. A couple of the things on there really catch them and their convinced its brilliant. You then proceed to tell them, actually I made the entire thing in the space of three days and no song was written before that period. You could swear, you just stabbed the person in the gut.

Whereas if you walk up to someone and say the exact truth about the recording, they take it as lightly as they think you took it and find things to criticize about it that you could do better and decide it's not worth much at all.

Both creative styles are to be respected. The long arduous masterpiece style that could take months to finish one song and the spontaneous in the moment, capture the energy style. A mix of both is permissable as well.

Many people don't understand the spontaneous creative style because they simply have never experienced it themselves. Then when confronted by something that is 'good' that was created in this style, they might believe you have plagorized, are a genius or something is wrong with you.

When I am in a mode to create it is like I am filled with an electrical energy and I am connected with the ether that supports all human life.

I understand this is crazy talk for those that don't understand it, so then again you get pushed to the side in the gutter.

One thing I've learned throughout this process is to trust my gut more than I trust people.

It's fun to dive right in and just create something and put it out there, sure it's not going to be amazing to start and the more you get used to this creative style, the better your ability at fast responsive skill development becomes. Yes, you become very quick at learning and doing things because you're so driven by getting it all done in the moment of inspiration.

I have been doing automatic writing since I was 17. I have always had a focus on improvisation in anything that I play, to increase my ability to produce things in the moment.

I have sung songs like Folsom Prison Blues and Hotel California on the streets of the world to holy high hell. I am so sick of repeating the same shit over and over again. But it makes money, and everytime I sing it, I put new life into it, I make new improvisations to go with it, I change the style of it. I make it fun for me and as a result I progress as a musician.

With original music, I have heard stories of bands that used to be inspired music makers but now simply go the rounds of their gigs repeat the same songs and treat it entirely like a job. Over and over and over and over and over again. This does not provide a ready ground for new flow and inspiration, no this style of 'creating' is stagnating.

We must become improvisers in everything that we do to give justice to the spontaneous style.

When I feel a song, I may have written in the morning, I know I'm not going to feel like repeating it for the rest of my life on the streets. I feel it in that moment, I am inspired in that moment and I create it in that moment the best I can. I put it on the shelf I let it go and float back into the ether - because I am ready for the next thing that comes along. And they keep coming, it is an endless cycle of inspiration but we must be open to it, by dumping all that is within us and opening up to what is entirely new.

There are songs that I can put a lot of 'feel' into over and over again, that's great, they are symbols that I am harvesting energy from that maintain a longterm resonance.

It is not my intention to turn my creative self into a product. But I must find a compromise along the way, because I must also live in this world.

The compromise between creating for the sake of creating and creating for the sake of popularity contest in order to make money, is the greatest struggle for me as an artist.

As long as I maintain faith in myself, nothing can touch my creative spirit. But I understand music is just one type of music in this world, and life is another. Work is another. Anything that we do is a type of music. The same principles we have in our music and creativity can carry over into our lives. Life is jazz it is said.

I've ventured into sufism. Music itself being a sacred rite. The very practice of music being a spirituality.

But here we are, on a forum, many different people for many different reasons. Some for ego, some for assurance, some for expression, some for fun, some for sharing and community and for whatever reason. Music is life, and there are many methods by which to live it.

Many times I feel a totalitarian control in people's approach to music and I get looked down upon and disrespected for my way of utilizing it. This is why I bite sometimes. I hate this approach to music. I hate the industry and its dick measuring contest, and game of perception. Music is a gift. Why are we using it to control?

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:59:12
@LePlongeur

Check out this vid my friend made for that poem I shared... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2WC7MAB_Is&feature=youtu.be

He's making a bunch of music videos for me for the passion of it. He felt particularly inspired to get this one done in a hurry. I told him to take a breather afterwards because he must have listened to my demanding prose about a hundred times to get all those subtitles. haha And he's reading 'Crime and Punishment' at the same time... it's hilarious how energies and symbols that affect us in our lives, syncronise with other parts with other people and then when we create together, we create as a unified whole.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 16:37:40
I’ve read your large piece and it almost reads like a poem at a certain point. Like pieces straight from the heart a lot.
What people think and do not think about your music (Or my music in this case), has gone up and down over the years and it seems like having very little to do with me. And I love keeping it that way.

Music, poems, (you name it) should never be suitable for work. Yes I know the meaning of that expression differs from mine. What I mean is that it should provoke different opinions. If not, it’s too bland, too middle of the  road, meaningless.

I’ve an hour of hissing tapes gently made digital of little known poets from the US in the tradition from which you work. Recorded at smoke filled gatherings with loads of drink and other substances. If you want to listen to those, PM a private email address and I will share them with you.

And of course I will closely follow your work. Non native speakers like me will have to do extra work, therefore I like your YS’s a lot where you ‘project’ the words.
Nice! Keep up the good work!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 06:44:02
@LePlongeur

Thanks so much for reading my essay, i get a bit carried away sometimes. You have great perspectives. Classic artforms need to be preserved through passion of expression.

After all, the evolution of our current artforms began with someone simply expressing themselves. Now we stand on top of tall towers called genres and think we are Kings of everything. Yet the original 'creators' were not looking for fame but rather just being honest with themselves.

İt's easy to forget this in this mess of lies we call society.

I woild like to listen to those tapes you have. Can you PM a link to me?

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 09:13:16
A link? No, I am afraid that is not possible.
These recordings are privately owned, and I travel too much for my computer to be open to ‘the world’.

But, if you pm me a private email address, I can upload the recordings to WeTransfer. They will give you an email with a link that’s valid for one week. You can use that link to download the recordings to your computer and unzip them.

The unzipped recordings are yours after that. But the link only works one week.
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 15:44:51
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 15:59:56 by LePlongeur »
I had completely forgotten all about Gertrude Stein’s* poem If I told him, until the Nederlands Dans Theater used the digi restored reading (by Gertrude) as the musical score for one of the most beautiful dances I ever saw in my life.

The complete text:

Gertrude Stein, "If I Told Him: A Completed Portrait of Picasso" (first published in Vanity Fair in 1924)

If I told him would he like it. Would he like it if I told him.
  Would he like it would Napoleon would Napoleon would would he like it.
  If Napoleon if I told him if I told him if Napoleon. Would he like it if I
told him if I told him if Napoleon. Would he like it if Napoleon if Napoleon
if I told him. If I told him if Napoleon if Napoleon if I told him. If I told
him would he like it would he like it if I told him.
  Now.
  Not now.
  And now.
  Now.
  Exactly as as kings.
  Feeling full for it.
  Exactitude as kings.
  So to beseech you as full as for it.
  Exactly or as kings.
  Shutters shut and open so do queens. Shutters shut and shutters and so
shutters shut and shutters and so and so shutters and so shutters shut and
so shutters shut and shutters and so. And so shutters shut and so and also.
And also and so and so and also.
  Exact resemblance. To exact resemblance the exact resemblance as exact
as a resemblance, exactly as resembling, exactly resembling, exactly in
resemblance exactly a resemblance, exactly and resemblance. For this is so.
Because.
  Now actively repeat at all, now actively repeat at all, now actively repeat
at all.
  Have hold and hear, actively repeat at all.
  I judge judge.
  As a resemblance to him.
  Who comes first. Napoleon the first.
  Who comes too coming coming too, who goes there, as they go they share, who
shares all, all is as all as as yet or as yet.
  Now to date now to date. Now and now and date and the date.
  Who came first. Napoleon at first. Who came first Napoleon the first.
Who came first, Napoleon first.
  Presently.
  Exactly do they do.
  First exactly.
  Exactly do they do too.
  First exactly.
  And first exactly.
  Exactly do they do.
  And first exactly and exactly.
  And do they do.
  At first exactly and first exactly and do they do.
  The first exactly.
  And do they do.
  The first exactly.
  At first exactly.
  First as exactly.
  As first as exactly.
  Presently
  As presently.
  As as presently.
  He he he he and he and he and and he and he and he and and as and as he
and as he and he. He is and as he is, and as he is and he is, he is and as he
and he and as he is and he and he and and he and he.
  Can curls rob can curls quote, quotable.
  As presently.
  As exactitude.
  As trains
  Has trains.
  Has trains.
  As trains.
  As trains.
  Presently.
  Proportions.
  Presently.
  As proportions as presently.
  Father and farther.
  Was the king or room.
  Farther and whether.
  Was there was there was there what was there was there what was there
was there there was there.
  Whether and in there.
  As even say so.
  One.
  I land.
  Two.
  I land.
  Three.
  The land.
  Three
  The land.
  Three
  The land.
  Two
  I land.
  Two
  I land.
  One
  I land.
  Two
  I land.
  As a so.
  They cannot.
  A note.
  They cannot.
  A float.
  They cannot.
  They dote.
  They cannot.
  They as denote.
  Miracles play.
  Play fairly.
  Play fairly well.
  A well.
  As well.
  As or as presently.
  Let me recite what history teaches. History teaches.

And Getrude’s* reading:

Van Dale’s Woordenboek had no Dutch/English translation for klankdicht. And Google translate....??

Better than ‘sound poem’ ? Or perhaps this is the actual English word.

Go kart Mozart is what I mean. A poem where the sound is dominant and the meaning is nil.

As a result of listening to @Monti Karus’* work here, I’ve been listening to LeRoy Jones/ Amiri’s work and have fallen in love again with the sound poems. And Gertrude is my source of inspiration. Some things are beautiful without demanding from me that I see things your way. Don’t know how else to describe this phenomenon.

And thank you @MrBouzouki for teaching me * the use of apostrophes in English.

Long live the sound poems in whatever guise or name.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 13:51:12
@LePlongeur

I love this, it makes a mockery of our stupid conversations. It's such fun and it plays with phonetics.

I came back on this feed because my ego centric mind wanted to share another spoken track I made today! haha!

Well, I'll share a couple, I was recently refused re-entry into Dublin after having entered last October, got put in lockup for a night and sent back to Copenhagen, so I lack the time I thought I would have but now have lots again... who really knows where time comes from?

This track is about that experience, it is a lyrical whip, sung but could be spoken -
It's called 'I didn't pay for this priveledge'
https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/ididntpayforthisprivelege

Lyrics:
I didn't pay for this privelege
My last words to the staring passengers, as I was plucked from the plane
My private chauffeur, in white and blue
down the tarmac
Away from the people sane

I said, I understand your reasons but I don't appreciate the guilt trip
All this can be said plainly without authorities' slick silver tongue so slit

They said,
You can have a doctor
You can have water too
You don't need a blanket
Central heating for you

But reality is isolation
with scribbles on the wall
a hole to shit
and a simple mattress too

and a button on the wall that seems to have no function at all
with all previous requests as if they were never said

hello mind, how are you?
I'm sure I've met you before
I've always considered myself well met

Jacket and shoes
left at the door
Naked to eyes
the mind my only pillow

The hope of communion
Anything at all
Makes for a watchful persistence at a hole in the fucking iron door
White light glaring, not letting up
Makes a timeless moment in this dull green concrete bus

I consider so many much worse than I
With no hope, no voice
And a fear to out cry

The machine is a part of us
It's a creation from our core
An external force
herding us with law

It tags us
It audits us
it sorts us
it organises us
it slots us

we sit and we wait for heaven's perfect patient end
when it's the burning gates of oblivion we've actually been send
We can only hold ourselves accountable
When it was us that trusted
the bliss of ignorance
we thought was
undoubtable

===

The next track is one I put together this morning in the space of about five hours - it started as they normally do, with automatic writing - it's called 'Breathe one last breath of life'
https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/breathe-one-last-breath-of-life-spokenimprovjazz

Words:
Breathe one last breath into this old world

The Grimoire is our habitat
the Void our maker
afraid of all things
and nothing
simultaneously

Feast from the mind of Solomon
the famous juggler on the path of the knife's edge
Who in all his demon dabblings
was apparently favoured of god

The fear of god is the beginning of knowledge
Timeless knowledge is our habitat
The papers of books our habitation
the crisp veneer of papyrus turned
What an extatic dance each curl imbibes!

Entranced by the wandering edge
The space between the lines
Where all truth can be said
Silence whispers its knowings
if the mind is still

in the edge
in between
in between the 'in between'
deeper and deeper we go

We crawl finally to the door of knowing
And once a cycle has been started
Can it be stopped?

The inevitability of awakening is upon us
an unraveling curtain
it does not stop once begun

and only at that point,
the drapes are pulled away
in their entirety
can we see all of the truth

is any action valid
in light of the magisterium
can any thing, really be changed
Once all is known?

Who here has ears?
Who here has eyes?

the invisible is the dark
it is behind you
it is around you
it is all of you
and yet, it remains to be seen

Breathe, one last breath of life
into this old world
Breathe, one last breath of life
into this old world

Breathe, Breathe, Breathe

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:47:55
Yes, I think this is very well done.
Why don’t you post them in songs for review or whatever the name is? They get more exposurethere.

If you say exposure is for pussies, I say if you do writing, it’s a nice idea that it is listened to.
Right now I am travelling, so I ‘ll get back tot your questions when we’re back.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 13:01:59
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 13:06:14 by Monty Cash Music »
@LePlongeur

Nah, exposure ain't for pussies. haha

I just don't want to use that button too much on this forum, if I put everything I make in the songs for review section then it might just turn into a forum about me, me, me. Oh, what fun!  :blackgrin: (I'm stating this as sardonicismsm in brackets because it's very difficult to read sardonicism in plain text; and also when half the people on here don't speak English as their first language).

Also, I'm aware of production mistakes and things like that on the songs/poems/recordings and I don't want to change anything in them. I like them just the way they are. Putting them in a 'songs for review' section means I want them 'reviewed' and I don't really want them reviewed. When I really want something 'reviewed' (aka willing to change something according to feedback or receive feedback) then I will do that.

I hope my methodology makes actual sense and not just Monty-sense... haha

Anyways, enjoy your travels

ps. we could just make this the adlib 'forever beatnik poetry section' of the forum and be satisfied with that!  ;)

Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 13:08:21
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 13:40:42 by Monty Cash Music »
I'm thinking I'd like to record a version of Gertrude's poem above. I spoke it this morning when I first woke, well, it bloody well woke me up! haha

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:08:32
Here's yet another spoken, inspired possibly by some poetry I've been listening to lately. @LePlongeur

https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/spoken-word-improv-the-corona-means-the-dawning-of-the-day

Words:
The beautiful sunrise
The gold layered flakey grey clouds
On a field of teal

It's easier to forget
And in forgetting we die inside

The first thing we face in life is birth
This introduction to the raw truth of being

To understand it consciously means absolutely nothing

I'm not interested in coming back to this fantasy fairy tale land called
Society

It's an incessant crazy cat that just won't stop bothering me
So I rewire the brain and I move on
The world moves on

My indulgence?
Stupidity happens
We cannot mourn over our mistakes forever
Darkness mourns our existence
The light mourns our death
Consciousness mourns awareness
Awareness mourns wisdom

Who is alive and who is dead in this travesty called existence?

Find yourself in raw feeling...

Can you trust your own awareness?
Do you trust your intuition?
Can you face the truth of blank nothingness?

Express yourself, the inner sage laments
Express yourself
But all expressions come to an end
No one's story is infinite

Watch closely, as the brightest star comes
And the lightest of the clouds herald the coming of the sun

I implore you
Love everything
Be part of and one with love
Never miss this
This part of the story of consciousness

Here it is