• Junior Cook
  • Songwriter (rookie)

• May 06, 2021, 16:40:57
    • West Virginia, USA
  • more
Music Major or Minor in College?
on: April 17, 2021, 18:46:50
Hello All,

I’ve been a “Kitchener” for about a week now and I really enjoy this site, but I have an essential question I wish to have an answer, advice, or feedback for: As an upcoming first-year undergraduate, should I “slide in” as a doubled Major or as a Minor the “Music” course program???

Some brief background (on me), I am currently a high schooler (c/o 2021) and my first childhood-long aspiration is the career of a physician-scientist. I’ve been in love with the field of biology, chemistry, physiology, etc. and intend to major primarily in pre-medical Biology so as to prepare myself for Medical School when the time comes. Apart from that, I’ve developed a new secondary aspiration (but still all-important to me) that I wish to build experience and skill on as I venture the path toward careers. Songwriting and composing music is what I would love to do apart from studying medicine; hence that’s why I asked an important question that will determine my course of study for the next four years. My college of intent is Berea College in Berea, KY. I intend to Major in Biology regardless, but have questions regarding a potential doubled-Major or Minor in “Music”.

Some more brief background (on the Music Major), the institution Berea College offers introductory courses to the essential instruments and has courses for vocal performance as well. Here is their Full Course Catalog for the Music Path! [ http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Catalog/Course-Descriptions/MUS-Music ]. From the Course List, I really hope to take the classes of 100 & 102 Class Piano; 103 Class Voice; 118 Fundamentals of Music; 220 & 222 Materials of Music; 221 & 223 Aural Harmony; and 342 Voice Pedagogy & Diction. Along with others as I gain more experience (for now I’m essentially a beginner with no experience except prose-writing). If anyone could offer any helpful feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there are any experiences anyone would love to offer that’s also great here for some insight!!

Thanks for your time,
Oscar F. Hanson
“Wherever the Art of Medicine is loved, there is also a love of Humanity.” - Hippocrates
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” - Mark Twain

Re: Music Major or Minor in College?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 00:35:02
Hi @O.F. Hanson
I am a music major .... specifically in music education as that was what I was called to do for a career.
My wife as well.
That being said - our son is finishing college soon with a Computer Science major and Math minor.
He chose not to go into the "family business" and I'm fine with it. He performs music at an elite level but that doesn't mean he "needs" to major in music. Go down the drum line at the unversity and you'll see: Chemistry, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, etc. ....... rarely a music major.
He'll do very well.  :ok:

You're going pre-med. You'll do well for yourself! Very well, indeed!  :thumbsup:

The majority ( maybe even all) of people here on this forum do the songwriting thing for fun not for a job.

My first thought is focus on the biology major and getting into the ed program.
If you can fit in some music classes absolutely do it.

As you go you'll know if you're called to major in music.

The question I have is what experience you have with instruments and voice?
Normally you have get through a pretty significant audition process to major in music. Depending on the college these can be pretty intense and maybe more than can be reasonably done if you don't already take lessons.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

• O.F. Hanson
  • Junior Cook
  • Songwriter (rookie)

• May 06, 2021, 16:40:57
    • West Virginia, USA
  • more
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 17:08:29
Thanks for the response a great insight @Bill from November Sound ! It was really helpful!

Hi @O.F. Hanson
As you go you'll know if you're called to major in music.

The question I have is what experience you have with instruments and voice?
Normally you have get through a pretty significant audition process to major in music. Depending on the college these can be pretty intense and maybe more than can be reasonably done if you don't already take lessons.

I unfortunately don’t have any musical experience or background, but I believe I have a great passion for it to begin. My university doesn’t inquire auditions (as I know of), but they do offer introductory level courses for a beginner like myself. From the course list I intended on taking a piano class and a vocal class so that I can add those skills to ,y songwriting arsenal. Essentially I’m a basic beginner with no experience, but passion to carry the aspiration through.

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 15:22:51
@O.F. Hanson    maybe you could take some lessons on an instrument or something a little bit before going off to college?

Just ... kind of see if you like it ... and you'll probably feel "less lost" when you're in a college class where others may already know a lot of the information being presented. ( Some people will take these college piano classes and things as an easy elective, etc...)  Kind of giving yourself some exposure to the topics? 
The vocal class will require less prior knowledge as they focus more on sound production and technique. If you know your notes, time signatures and key signatures before the piano class it'll be less overwhelming.

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 15:49:10
in addition to @Bill from November Sound , true, and it also helps if you have some hands-on musical practice when you join. My wife is a musicologist, and before she was allowed to university, she had played for years and had had lessons for many years. Most of us cannot 'just' take a couple of lessons and that's it. I don't think the courses you'd be following require that much from their partakers, but a bit of hands-on practice beforehand wouldn't hurt. I think @Bill from November Sound and I agree there.

Also, Bill is a skilled keyboard player, but other musicians here on the form are guitarists, as they feel more comfortable with such an instrument. Possibly you should first discover what instrument suits you best. I play 5 different instruments, and each of them assists in understanding another, as with singing. So it doesn't matter what you play, as long as it makes you feel comfortable with what you are doing.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

xx
Finally some music in a Major Scale from Budha Building.

Started by budhabuilding on Songs for review

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2020, 19:20:15
by GaryHynes
xx
Fast Jet (new song lyrcis Stan Major, music - Oorlab)

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 20:38:21
by man of simple pleasures
xx
A Minor Blues Improvisation

Started by Kajetan Zduniak on Live performances

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2019, 16:57:40
by Kajetan Zduniak
xx
Jingle Bells in a Minor

Started by Monty Cash Music on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2019, 08:39:21
by Rachel_D
xx
A minor metal improvisation on a guitar :)

Started by Kajetan Zduniak on Live performances

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2018, 09:15:04
by LePlongeur