• Started by 1roomstudio
  • 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• December 05, 2019, 17:57:10
  • more
My Song won me some free tickets!
on: July 05, 2019, 21:01:43
It's nice to get recognition for your song... even nicer to get paid. Free tickets is kinda like getting paid!

I posted on Instagram a bit of my most recent track 

https://markames.bandcamp.com/track/i-dont-need-help

It is about the paradox of trying to help the Homeless. Through some magic of  hashtagerry  I won two tickets to this event.

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/california-saga-2-benefit-concert-info-tickets-david-crosby/

It was benefit for the Homeless and a great show (if you are an old Rocker, which I am... ::e-guitar3::)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 17:37:31
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: My Song won me some free tickets!
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 21:14:24
Man, I LOVE how this song builds and then just keeps rolling along. I'm having 1960's flashbacks here. What a cool and eclectic production. Seriously cool vocals.

How did you track that electric guitar? And the bass track.......

Hey @LePlongeur ......what do you think, Gus? Is this the real thing or what?  :) :) :) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 21:47:59
Man, I LOVE how this song builds and then just keeps rolling along. I'm having 1960's flashbacks here. What a cool and eclectic production. Seriously cool vocals.

Hey @LePlongeur ......what do you think, Gus? Is this the real thing or what?  :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you for the feedback! and glad you like it.

"60's Flashbacks..." Yeah... you got me figured out...

The whole thing was done on GarageBand on my Ipad with one finger and of course the vocals.  I love how much versatility there is in that little App. Best $5.99 I ever spent.

I use Audacity and Reaper for a lot of stuff, but on this particular track (which started as a sketch exploring the use of echo to create rhythmic variation in the percussion) as it grew... I become more and more determined to keep it in GarageBand just to see what I (and it) could do.

The lyrics started from a completely different place... at a point I realized they could work with the mood of the music... so I did this "mashup."

Onward!  8)

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 03:24:42
Very cool @1roomstudio ! Congratulations!!!
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 07:28:10
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 09:01:49

Yes, @Leonard Scaper, you are ab-so-lu-te-ly right.
Specially the moments when the vocals are 'layered'.  If you know what I mean, and you usually do.
I am still glad that I didn't listen to those people, trying to reduce the running time of my songs. Things like these need time to develop and tell the story. Very much in the late 60's vein.

And, for me it's not the money perse. It's the idea that somebody who writes as well, makes an effort to listen. And after that is positive about what you dreamed up.
I only play my music for people who write as well. I don't talk with the pope about making love.

I love this kind of work, @1roomstudio. And so what if you scare half of your audience? The other half stays and listens.
I could get used to this kind of quality.
Great job!
Kind regards, Gus

• 1roomstudio
  • Poissonier
  • Hearing is Believing 😎

• more
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 16:41:41

Yes, @Leonard Scaper, you are ab-so-lu-te-ly right.
Specially the moments when the vocals are 'layered'.  If you know what I mean, and you usually do.
I am still glad that I didn't listen to those people, trying to reduce the running time of my songs. Things like these need time to develop and tell the story. Very much in the late 60's vein.

And, for me it's not the money perse. It's the idea that somebody who writes as well, makes an effort to listen. And after that is positive about what you dreamed up.
I only play my music for people who write as well. I don't talk with the pope about making love.

I love this kind of work, @1roomstudio. And so what if you scare half of your audience? The other half stays and listens.
I could get used to this kind of quality.
Great job!
Kind regards, Gus

Much appreciated @LePlongeur  ...

As this piece developed several people mentioned that it was “too long” or that I should consider a “radio ready version.” I definately considered it, and even had a bit in mind to cut (after all... there is a section of lyrics repeated) but new that first I needed to finish it as directed by my muse. I learned long ago that following my muse is the key to relief from “paralysis by analysis” and allows me to get an idea fully out my system so that I am able to move on to the next thing.

Yes... about half the people are sort of stunned and don’t know what to say... that’s OK... I get it... it’s not a happy pretty song... not for everyone; but those who do like it express it strongly in a way that tells me I’ve shared something meaningful. That’s what I want to do with music... so that is rewarding when it happens.

And yes... the “layered”  vocals is the climax of the piece... along with the ragged call and response to that vocal in the guitars... everything builds up to that and then falls away from it. Once that section came together I knew how to sculpt the rest of the piece in support of that release of emotion.

Thank you for noticing  8)

exclamation
Mix/Production/Master service for Kitcheners!-Tiago won the free production!

Started by Mar T. on Songs for review

31 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 03:35:26
by Mark Luto
xx
My August 2017 song (I Want To Break Free)

Started by SilverBeat on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 10:28:11
by Leonard Scaper
xx
Break Free - positive song competition entry

Started by syl_a_med on Songs for review

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 22:41:49
by Bluedusksun
xx
Those We Won't See Again