• My soundcloud stream is almost un-listenable
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
My soundcloud stream is almost un-listenable
on: March 27, 2021, 14:46:06
When I open up soundcloud and press play.
It is a horror show.

I don't know what happened. It never used to be like this. It has devolved so much in the past year!
Tracks that last for hours sometimes of just this minimal and repetitive music. And, it is not real minimalism in the cool Ligeti and Reich sense.... just horribly basic stuff.
Mostly instrumentals .... but usually without any real instruments.
Then when songs do have vocals either completely weird out of tune stuff or purchased vocal pack vst or sample kind of things.
Just music that drones on and on. No verse, no chorus, no build, no bridge ... nothing ... or occasionally very poor attempts at something.

What is going on?

Anyone else have this problem?

My only choice is to go to the page of someone I know and listen or go to a few people who I trust with well-curated repost accounts.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

Re: My soundcloud stream is almost un-listenable
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:09:11
It’s sort of always been like that, in my experience... maybe it’s getting worse, but I wouldn’t know as I gave up trying SoundCloud streaming long ago.

I explore followers of people I follow and  I don’t stream them, unless maybe an album. I hit stop in the last few seconds of whatever I listened to... so I can catch my breath and think about what I want to listen too next.

Pandora does a decent job of streaming based on a track or an artist. I’m just getting to know Spotify... too many ads and I really don’t listen enough to make paying for the service make sense.

I like FM  radio... and lately the Mrs. an I have been going through the old cassette tape collection.  Very nostalgic... not just the music but that cassette-on-a-boom-box sound. We have a fairly awesome collection. It’s fun ...

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Making music

• May 09, 2021, 22:40:14
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: My soundcloud stream is almost un-listenable
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:33:32
@Bill from November Sound  - agreed with @1roomstudio   - I never listened to soundcloud as a  stream from their algorithm.I make my own playlists of musicians I am interested in, and listen to that. I skip reposts and concentrate on new uploads. Soundcloud is nice for contacting fellow musicians, and following acts that I first heard on radio, read bout in magazines, or heard on television.
Spotify seems to have a much more refined algorithm, but even then, the danger of tunnelvision is a real one. The trick is to keep one''s eclecticism as random as possible.

xx
Swimming Against the Stream

Started by Andrew Jezmund on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 00:59:42
by Jurgen
thumbup
Select your best soundcloud track to be on the kitchen's SoundCloud page!

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

181 Replies
Last post August 11, 2017, 23:10:55
by Rachel_D
xx
24 hours live stream of songwriting and songwriting chat

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2020, 23:43:41
by Dutchbeat
xx
Soundcloud