• New Music Video Release - Advice?
  • Started by Curtwood Bearsman
New Music Video Release - Advice?
on: December 31, 2020, 18:55:37
Hi there,

My last post was four years ago! I'm a 29 year old musician, and after completing my Education degree a few weeks ago, I finally have time for music again.. I recorded and created possibly the best song and music video I could ever come up with, so now I'm sitting here wondering the best way to deliver my video to the world. As musicians, I'm sure you all know this struggle all too well, we put our hearts and souls into a song, and now how do we share it properly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I plan to jump back into the forums here after a crazy long 4 year hiatus.
Thanks in advance, and Happy New Years!

Sincerely,
Curtis

• Dutchbeat
  • Rest In Peace
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• February 23, 2021, 22:00:08
  • more
Re: New Music Video Release - Advice?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 19:00:42
hi @Curtwood Bearsman , i have no idea how to properly market a new song or song video,

but feel free to share it here, as far as i am concerned,  :yes: :yes: :yes:

i am looking forward to seeing that video
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 19:09:09
haha thank you sir! I appreciate that!  Right now I basically need to choose a release date and get the promotional ball rolling. I'll absolutely be certain to post it here :)

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 15:17:36
Hi @Curtwood Bearsman
That sounds cool.
I have one video that has done well ... to me anyway .....  ::) ... it's not amazing or anything.

I might be able to give you some advice/ listen to your ideas over PM if you'd like.

Main thing is get the distributions done the right way so you get money even if your channel is too small to monetize. Sounds like you're doing that.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:14:30
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 16:52:25
Maybe I misinterpret your intention and if so, I am really sorry @Curtwood Bearsman
Blame the difference in language and cultural background.
I think there are parallels with a question, @Bill from November Sound posted some time ago.

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/seo/3/ruin-ones-chance-not-sure-what-to-call-this-thread/6621/

In this thread I typed two rather straight forward pieces that have not met with much applause.
Nevertheless I still believe that musicians are no real match for the business tycoons that run the music business. They perfected their way of running their business business like over the years, and we believe we can take that challenge on and come out as the winner.

Someone else asked: would you share the credits if that meant you had the chance to be successful.
I am very successful because I do some writing everyday. And I have no further pretentiousness than amuse myself doing so.

So my answer to you would be:
- think up a goal that is simple and realistic
- tell us what that goal is
- tell us what you have done so far (apart from writing)
- tell us what kind of help you are looking for

And please read the posts I wrote earlier. Fucking up your contract management means fucking up your carrière.
I wish you a great 2021 and a lot of luck.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 22:16:36
These are good things @LePlongeur

.... I don't think he mentioned signing with a record label.

Do people need to do that anymore?  ::)

Anyway, when I get offered mine I'll have you be my representative.  ;)

Actually maybe you can help me now. I have a problem with song thieves on itunes. Cut and dry. Apple won't do a thing to help me.  :bonk:

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:14:30
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 09:19:04
Signing up with a record label is still everyday practice. or maybe a company to represent you.
But it's not just record labels.
But apart from this, the world is full of business people who'll want to make money off what you do. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's a fair and balanced situation. And if you are not as skilled as they are, guess in who's favour the balance will swing?
@Bill from November Sound @Curtwood Bearsman

And no, I am not an international copyright lawyer, so I can't help you there.

A friend  of mine had a circulation of 87.000 on YouTube. My friends fee will be €87,00 minus €80,00 retention fee and handling for YouTube.
So he's got a whopping €7,00 to show for all his work.
I know how this is called in Amsterdam and it's far from subtle.....

It's this kind of thing you're up against.
And I rather avoid this then be angered 365 days per year.
Contract management is as key as your writing itself.
Kind regards, Gus

• budhabuilding
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Poissonier
  • Karma hunter

• April 19, 2021, 16:43:41
    • Breda, The Netherlands
    • https://www.facebook.com/budhabuildingmusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QBZWcDzUbPseLeWhLVRaQ?view_as=subscriber&pbjreload=10 https://soundcloud.com/budhabuilding
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 19:51:18
HI @Curtwood Bearsman,

@LePlongeur yep i agree...

I have been signed to a couple of record labels. The only record label that payed me was 42 euro and was from South Africa.  :dance:

When your music is used then you get payed. So the most of time a connect directly to people how are in need of original music.
Like a dance theater company or small video company.

I do also sync music for media libraries but all non exclusive.... All reselling original tracks.
( i hate when i can not use my own music without audio fingerprinting troubles..)

From downloads and music rights i earn about 1500 euro's every year.
For 1 million plays of my music in a youtube film i earned 23 euro's

More of 50% of my income is creating music for other projects ...
For people that need my kind of music....
And i have a lot of freedom when i create and i get back a lot of inspiration.

But i still release music on spotify and play live......

Just my vision/opinion.

Greetings

Hans
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 21:17:20
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses, your perspectives are very helpful!!

In response to LePlongeur:

- think up a goal that is simple and realistic
- tell us what that goal is
- tell us what you have done so far (apart from writing)
- tell us what kind of help you are looking for

To date, I've released an EP and a full-length album, 14 songs total on all streaming platforms, and an assortment of music videos on YouTube. My website is www.CurtwoodBearsman.com and my Soundcloud is: https://soundcloud.com/curtis-ehresman  if you want to do some digging.

It has been 4 years since I officially released anything, I finally have free time again.

My goal is simply to reach as many listeners as possible with my new song and music video. Specific targets would be to reach at least one thousand plays on Spotify (or any streaming platform, ex. Apple) and one thousand views on YouTube. Ideally, it goes beyond that but I think those are realistic and possible goals. I mean, the dream would be to go "viral" but that's up to the Gods of Rock.

Since I haven't released anything in years, and I have a "good feeling" about this new song of mine, I really want to do everything right in terms of releasing it into the world and reaching the ears of as many listeners as possible. I've been doing a lot of research and writing down many promotional/marking strategies that I can implement, I want to leave no stone unturned, so to speak. Any advice in terms of expanding my "reach" and "audience" with a new video & song release I guess is what I'm looking for, but since I'm finally getting back into the music game all advice seems relevant at this point lol.

Thanks again, everyone.

• budhabuilding
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Poissonier
  • Karma hunter

• April 19, 2021, 16:43:41
    • Breda, The Netherlands
    • https://www.facebook.com/budhabuildingmusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QBZWcDzUbPseLeWhLVRaQ?view_as=subscriber&pbjreload=10 https://soundcloud.com/budhabuilding
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 12:01:26
maybe this works  ;D

https://dailyplaylists.com/

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 18:40:31
Hey @Curtwood Bearsman 

I think @budhabuilding has some ideas that are well worth looking into!!!!

I also see that @Neal  @Daud Aur Yahudy  and @Knate  seem to have some serious traction on YouTube !   :)   :yes:

I wonder if any of them would be willing to share some advice?    ???

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 02:21:42
Thank you @budhabuilding !!

And I appreciate the help Bill, I'm quickly learning about how the YouTube system works, so I'm grateful for any support.
More than willing to return the favor in any way that I can.

Cheers everyone,
My new single is set to release January 22nd :)

Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 18:08:19
Late night decision, changed my release date to February 19th to give myself more time lol.

Any copyright experts out there? Might have a few questions for you. Can a person register a song for copyright even 5 years after it's official release?

Thanks again everyone. If there's anything I can do to support other musicians on here please let me know! cheers.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Making music

• Yesterday at 22:28:21
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 23:11:54
@Curtwood Bearsman  - listening to your 3 year old songs, nice ones! Looking forward hearing your feb 19th release.
I know a bit about copyright (as a librarian I advise students and teachers about it). Yes, you can register your own work whenever you seem fit*. If no other author or company challenges your registration it is yours to register. I wouldn't sign away rights but give interested parties a non-exclusive licence.
As for ' all advice seems relevant' - mine would be to form a local band or group of musicians to perform, the more the better.
For platforms to release and promote, Patreon and Bandcamp would be my weapons of choice du jour...

*Unless New Zealand copyright law is totally different from EU/US systems.

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 03:32:29
Hi @oorlab

Thank you very much for your response! That is super helpful to know. Funny you mention teachers since I received my official teacher certification this past week! I am fortunate to have a group of musical friends, one who does all of my recordings, and one who added some nice bass to my new release. I'm very excited to share my song and video with you all on February, 19th!

Also, I am currently living back home in Canada now  :)

I got my new song copyrighted so I will begin submitting it to radio stations, blogs, playlists etc.
I didn't realize how much work is involved just to release one song! lol

Thanks everyone.

xx
My first music video - Just Words

Started by Mark Luto on Other Arts

15 Replies
Last post June 30, 2018, 01:04:51
by Mark Luto
cheesy
First Music Video - Mañana

Started by ItsRilo on Songs for review

7 Replies