• New production for Mr & Mrs Dutchbeat
  • Started by G
Re: New production for Mr & Mrs Dutchbeat
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 22:57:14
magic!! it all sounds so easy haha!! enjoy your wine!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 00:42:59
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 00:56:14 by Wicked Deeds »
ok, I'm up early in the morning so I should be sleeping now.  I came to bed about 45 minutes ago but wanted to do a little work - maybe add a little extra value to what has gone before - something to make Mr & Mrs Dutchbeat feel happy about in the morning (hopefully).  :) I've added one or two atmospheric keyboard parts which, as it's late, I'll briefly talk about in the morning. I'll also talk about panning. I've been working with my headphones and I'm a little tired so I'll check the levels, especially of the piano in the morning.

Goodnight. :)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/mr-mrs-dutchbeat-progress

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• February 23, 2020, 22:42:07
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:16:36
Hah this is really cool! The making of a new song - so that's how the magic happens  ;)
Very interesting to see your workflow and the different stages of the arrangement
And damn you really work fast  :o
But keep it up, sounds good so far!

Also, would you mind telling an amateur guitarist like me how you play those really fast staccato notes -  I can't move my fingers that quickly  :D

Oh, and sweet vocals, Mrs DB  ;)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 16:55:30
  • more
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 11:40:12
Hi, we are still in shock over here....it sounds great!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
me, myself, and Pie

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 12:25:56
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:29:52 by Wicked Deeds »
Hah this is really cool! The making of a new song - so that's how the magic happens  ;)
Very interesting to see your workflow and the different stages of the arrangement
And damn you really work fast  :o
But keep it up, sounds good so far!

Also, would you mind telling an amateur guitarist like me how you play those really fast staccato notes -  I can't move my fingers that quickly  :D

Oh, and sweet vocals, Mrs DB  ;)

Well, I'm currently in a museum with my children -  they've climbed aboard a fishing cobble and I can hear monks singing in the nearby monastery section.  Somebody has started up a model steam engine and a small child has activated the sound of seagulls.  Nothing at all to do with production of course but I'm just filling in the detail as I follow this thread on my smart phone.

Ok Michael -  the guitar isn't difficult -  it's just a serious of fast up and down strokes on a single note.  I'll comment on last night's additions later this afternoon when I return from this mini outing :-)

How cool would it be to record those monks and slip it into a production?

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 14:42:41
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 15:07:15 by Wicked Deeds »
Ok, what did I add last night?- not one, but three keyboard tracks. Logic has a great synth thingymajig called 'Sculpture'.Often the sounds will bore the pants off me but they make much more sense if you mix two or three sounds together.  I all ways record each each sound on a separate track in logic - pretty much straight out of the box because my production again, is influenced by melody and not manipulating sounds too much. I recorded something called 'Breathy Carillon', then added some radio interference and finally something called 'Swimming voices'. All singles notes but not on every new chord.  I just experimented with what worked best.  Looking at my logic screen, it appears that I also added something called 'Whipping  Groove' - again  it's from the Sculpture synth from within logic and it makes it's first appearance at the second half of verse 1 on the third beat of the bar (I'm pleased with that - it's tempting to come in on the first beat of the bar - but I think that it makes things a whole lot more interesting!  -  it's the bubbling synth sound that precedes the next bar.

I'm sitting at my Mac right now, adjusting levels because I think that now is the time to progress to where I needthe final mix to be heading!  The last point involves panning too, people often ask how do you pan correctly.  I guess that there are rules for certain instruments - for example leave the bass in the centre because it then grounds the track and vocals too, they are always centre - I never understand some of the reviews that I read that inform me I've done some strange kind of panning on the vocal and that I should address it.  I keep it centre stage every time!

Perhaps I shouldn't do it but I've already added a multipressor to the whole mix and I like the outcome, so, I'm going to leave it!

I don't want to get bogged down with descriptions of vocal effects, I just want to say I've added a desser and a little pitch correction and reverb including light compression.  In all honesty, the vocal is spot on so far - Mrs Dutchbeat is in tune!  :)

I'm going to do a little more work and post something later today.  :)

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 14:46:53
If Dutch allows me to share a little about this song - what it's about, I'll then explain why I used the above Sculpture sounds! - I did put some thought into it all and didn't amply use random sound.  :) :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 15:35:45
off course you can, Wicked

Mrs. DB and I are enjoying every second of this process

i really need to lear to copy as far as possible to mix mrs. DB vocals like you are doing....

BIG THANKS!!!!

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 15:40:40
Ok Dutch, the next instalment is currently bouncing on to my desktop.  Look out for it in the next 15 minutes!  :)

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 15:53:17
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 16:00:33 by Wicked Deeds »
Ok Dutch tells me that this song is about the effects of substance misuse.  I therefore chose the keyboard sounds that I've used accordingly - to provide a hint of menace to the production -I think the radio interference and the haunting breathy Sculpture sounds hint at something sinister.  I can't go too far with that because I haven't got an electric guitar to crank up and compete with some of the sounds available but that's ok because I think this is a very melodic song and I don't want to destroy that.

I've added a new section with harp and acoustic rhythm - i might record the guitar again because it doesn't sound the way that I want it to - anyway, the emphasis is definitely on less is more.  If I can get away with leaving the rhythm, I will!  I've also reintroduced the acoustic  guitar intro motif and think that's wise as it's good to have a reference point - something that repeats for the listener! 

I think it's  shaping up - letting me know where it all needs steering to at this stage.

see what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/mr-mrs-dutch-sundaypm

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 15:57:49
Listening back, now that it's up on soundcloud, I need to mix that final section - sort out some of the levels just to make it work that little bit better!  :)

Ok, I need a break and I feel a little  bit ignorant sitting away from everyone else whilst I'm putting this all together.  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 16:00:54
WOW!!! and do take your time....you can take forever

super!!

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 16:49:02
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 16:52:00 by Wicked Deeds »
Structurally, this one is done for me.  I'm going to ask Dutch if he would like me to programme drums.  I don't really think that they are needed - that was my feeling before I started and I'm still leaning towards that but I'm happy to oblige if need be. 

I need to tidy this up here and there, but I'n not too bothered about perfection - like I said it was always about melody - but later, atmosphere became a focal point too!   Amazing what you can do with a cut and paste tool towards the end of a session.  Now that' all of the ingredients are there, I suppose I would revisit this again if asked to make a real record as opposed to my demo.  I knot he direction now but wouldn't it be nice to have this demo and then take it into a studio for completion - the recording process would there taken one track at a time.   :)

Let me know your thoughts Dutch and those of your good wife too!  :)

Well, that's what's been cooking in my kitchen this weekend!  :)

Post to follow ............

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 16:55:40
Here's the finished song minus adjustments to levels and maybe a little messing about with noise gates and other bits and bobs, providing Mr and Mrs Dutch are happy!  :)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/mr-mrs-dutch-1st-version

Wicked Deeds  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 17:01:31
While i wait in anticipation  ;D ;D ;D ;D

perhaps i can say something about the lyrics....they may be a bit heavy, sorry, but the lyrics are about a woman with a heroine addiction, and we follow her on the streets,but the choruses sort of make her and everybody else more
similar, so it hints on the fact that we all are insecure, try to escape certain doubts, feelings and
pain in various ways, so the "her" sort of becomes "you" and "all of
us"" in the lyrics
and the choruses then end each time with her taking another shot...("nog een
keer" means "one more time") and the last chorus ends with here taking that
last, that final shot ("voor de allerlaatste keer"" means "for that very
last time"). So it ends inevitable with her (but also every one of us, sorry  :P :P) dying

i know heavy, sorry, but i made this after i heard she had died (she had been hospitalised several times in the place where i worked back then, i am talking like 20 years ago)

oh well  :P :P :P :P

*edit, ok i see now this post came after Mr. Wicked posted the full song (see above). I am going to listen now... ;D