• New Years Bring New Idears - 2021
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Re: New Years Bring New Idears - 2021
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 12:37:14
Ideas for yourself @LePlongeur
New years resolution so to speak.  :)

Then I'll bump this thread in 6 months and see how everyone is doing on their goals.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 21:02:08
Hola @Bill from November Sound

Here come my doubts and hopes for making songs this year:

1/ I don't know what new to do, I am the same
2/ I can't try to be commercial because I do not have this talent
3/ I like to talk about animals so I would have to do songs about them
4/ My English accent does not change so... I'll continue singing in English until making it better
5/ I want to do a Bolero, not of Ravel but following this kind of construction

Meanwhile I need you to confirm me if in English a fly is "she" or "he" I need this important information.

Stay safe

Mora

I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 19:18:46
Great idea for a thread @Bill from November Sound

I wrote a list for myself two years ago and did fairly well with it. It started with “when people ask what you do, say you are a Musician” instead of my day job title. When people would probe about my bonafides I would say “I’m not a professional, but I’m a serious amateur.”

The rest of the list revolved around setting up a web site, new laptop dedicated to the studio and other infrastructure, learning new software, give video a try, Etc. The most significant accomplishment was getting my music distributed and monetized. it was good year ... then in 2020 I sort of bogged down.

Onward!

1) A leftover from the previous list: Make an email distribution list and send out an occasional newsletter. (Does anyone have a service they like? Mail Chimp? Emma? Constant Contact?)

2)  More time on the drums. I’ve been giving my Granddaughter lessons and I’ve rediscovered the benefits of drills, exercises, practice and learning new stuff that takes a serious effort.

3)  The discoveries on the drums has translated to the guitar and flute.... Scales, arpeggios, finger exercises, the metronome... it’s starting to pay off!

4)  Apply number 3 to the piano (I really need to quit my day job... but not this year)

5)  Learn more Jazz. Not my strong suit but I love Jazz  and  number  3 above has resulted in some breakthroughs.

6) Re-engage with the Classical pieces I learned in college. Beautiful intelligent and inspiring music that is the bedrock of  what little technique I have on guitar.

7) Sing a lot... my songs and others. I’ve given this a rest lately... not sure why... but I miss it.

8) Get back to recording and producing the hundred or so songs I’ve written over the years, after I’ve had enough  of 2 through 7 above and need a break from all of that practice.

9)  Rinse and repeat.

I would put “write more songs” on the list but I’ve found over the years that the good ones just come tumbling out on a fairly regular basis... if I work really hard on the list above.

Looking forward to a good year! 😎

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 20:08:04
Meanwhile I need you to confirm me if in English a fly is "she" or "he" I need this important information.

Interesting question @Mora Amaro La Loba (jumping in here)

In English a fly is neither, unless you say so, or if you happen to know the sex of the particular fly. By declaring a fly as “he” or “she”  you have established a personal connection with the fly, like a pet, or a farm animal or a fly you’ve gotten to know somehow.

Generically a fly is referred to as “it” like any object. 

Another exception is, if you refer to a fly as “he” generically then you have anthropomorphized the fly for poetic or story telling purposes. In this case “he” is still general (if you don’t actually know the sex.) You could do the same by declaring “it” a “she” but that leans  more toward making It seem like you know the fly personally.

I hope this helps. 😎

Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 21:35:31

In English a fly is neither, unless you say so, or if you happen to know the sex of the particular fly. By declaring a fly as “he” or “she”  you have established a personal connection with the fly, like a pet, or a farm animal or a fly you’ve gotten to know somehow.

Another exception is, if you refer to a fly as “he” generically then you have anthropomorphized the fly for poetic or story telling purposes. In this case “he” is still general (if you don’t actually know the sex.) You could do the same by declaring “it” a “she” but that leans  more toward making It seem like you know the fly personally.

I hope this helps. 😎

Hola @1roomstudio

Feliz 2021 y muchas gracias!
Yes, I am writing a song about a fly that is drowning and describe it in a more personal way. In Spanish a fly is "she" that is why it's difficult for me to be sure of how to say it correctly in English from this point of view more personal.
La mosca, la mosca, la mosca

Gracias

Mora

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Today at 20:12:20
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 22:43:11
My 2021 New years resolution / idea would be to find an underwater microphone and record underwater sounds - could be the sea itself, currents over sand, but fish, whales sealions, that 'd be awesome....
I guess this will remain a vague plan though :-)

@1roomstudio  " (Does anyone have a service they like? Mail Chimp? Emma? Constant Contact?)"
At work we stopped Mailchimp - it was a bit too commercial. I would suggest to use your own mail provider - make an excel and keep track of the subscribers, and send out newsletters with the subscribers in BCC. Bandcamp has a builtin newsletter, Wordpress too. These are musician friendly, at least as far as I can see on the receiving end.
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 04:52:53

I hope this helps. 😎

Hola @1roomstudio

Feliz 2021 y muchas gracias!
Yes, I am writing a song about a fly that is drowning and describe it in a more personal way. In Spanish a fly is "she" that is why it's difficult for me to be sure of how to say it correctly in English from this point of view more personal.
La mosca, la mosca, la mosca

Gracias

Mora

Well then... of course, your fly is a she.🤷‍♂️

Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 05:09:19
My 2021 New years resolution / idea would be to find an underwater microphone and record underwater sounds - could be the sea itself, currents over sand, but fish, whales sealions, that 'd be awesome....
I guess this will remain a vague plan though :-)

@1roomstudio  " (Does anyone have a service they like? Mail Chimp? Emma? Constant Contact?)"
At work we stopped Mailchimp - it was a bit too commercial. I would suggest to use your own mail provider - make an excel and keep track of the subscribers, and send out newsletters with the subscribers in BCC. Bandcamp has a builtin newsletter, Wordpress too. These are musician friendly, at least as far as I can see on the receiving end.

I love field recording.... nature is so inspiring. Underwater is a step to Other-Worldly... looking forward to your endeavors with that... 🐙🦑🦐🦞🦀🐡🐠🐟🐬🐳

Thank you for the tip @oorlab ... yes, my current half-hearted attempt at an email list is on excel. I think I might like the convenience of an automated “unsubscribe” ... I’ve managed a business newsletter in the past and found that to be a chore.

Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 19:46:24
Thanks for getting involved @MrBouzouki @Knate @DanJames @budhabuilding @M57 @Mo @1roomstudio @oorlab @LePlongeur @Vince @Leonard Scaper @Mora Amaro La Loba
 :thumbsup:
Good stuff everyone!
January is almost over ... any other takers?
I'll bump this thread at the end of June so we can see how we're all doing on our goals.   :)

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:47:19
  • more
Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 21:09:52
well since you are asking @Bill from November Sound  ... ::) ::) ::)

i would like to try to make and play melodies over my tracks in 2021, something that makes sense as a melody

i will keep the way i make the tracks for this year, but then want to try to add a thought out melody on those...

for... about.. three or four songs in 2021.. as a goal

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 22:07:27
This is how far i am with releasing tracks on spotify with South African guitarist Louis Mhlanga from the album.
Enjoy

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnsyKb-3yKvHsnenc1N6sjSaxddKJCedp
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 22:11:29
Good show @Dutchbeat !

Oh geez @budhabuilding  it's inly January and you've already completed your goal? Making us all look bad.  ;D

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:02:00
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 16:15:22
I planned (and made a start realising the plan) for FAWM, or February Album Writing Month. The vehicle can be found

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songwriting-ingredients/26/fawm-february-album-writing-month/6826/

I decided to enter the plan and the start here, so you’ only have to bump it once @Bill from November Sound .
You must admit how efficient I can be if I set my mind to it.
Plus I would like to compliment you on this initiative.
Kind regards, Gus

xx
January 2021

Started by Bill from November Sound on Forum News/Updates

0 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 20:11:45
by Bill from November Sound
lamp
It's been a while... I bring you music

Started by glenngloverice on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2016, 11:13:12
by glenngloverice
xx
Song for review: Bring It On

Started by EdZ314 on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 01:39:48
by Mar T.
xx
(warning...) songs that bring tears in your eyes

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2021, 00:58:53
by Mo
xx
WIP collab of Leonard Scaper and DB: just bring the flood.......

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post May 21, 2017, 10:49:16
by Leonard Scaper