• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 11:07:15
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Rick Beato: Inside The Sound Of: Ep.1 Guthrie Govan

Rick has recently put out a video about the playing style of Guthrie Govan, where he breaks down a particular track to highlight some of his technique. It's number one in a new series he's doing.

Interesting viewing for guitarists and it's great to see Rick doing some Air Guitar ;-)~

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Never heard of him, and looks like he was born just up the road from me. He could've come and said hello!
Yeah I don't know if these videos are a good thing really, we just end up with a legion of guitarists sounding like this Guthrie Govan bloke.
No one cares about originality anymore.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
I don't think he will create clones  @eric craptone ;-)

By all accounts he's a nice bloke so probably would have called in as he's one of those annoying preople who is good at what he does but humble with it too.

He's also pushing at the boundaries of what you can do with a guitar and trying to encourage another generation to take it up.
If people like this don't exist then perhaps in the future there won't be guitarists or guitar-based music. 

We always need the 'heroes' so that people are inspired to create.  Even if he's a hero you haven't heard of. ;-)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 13:53:10
    • Terra Firma
  • more
No one cares about originality anymore.

I don't know, man........I think folks respond to originality when they find it. Don't despair.....you keep being Eric Craptone and I'll keep being Leonard Scaper and we'll let the world spin as it will.

8)

I actually like this guys videos...i have watched a number of them so thanks for posting it MrB
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

I don't know, man........I think folks respond to originality when they find it. .

I think most people's definition of originality is 'a very slight alteration of what they already like to listen to'
Be really original and you get bewilderment and stones thrown atcha.

I found this YouTube channel called Make Weird Music which sounded right up my street.
But no, it's a total misnomer, it's a loada pseudo crap. It's a bunch of snobs who misinterpret 'clever' to mean 'weird and original'.
Like it's solely the prerogative of the educated to make weird original music. You wont find anything remotely weird or original on that channel.
If they heard any of my stuff they'd run in terror, and call a policeman.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
This is an interesting topic about originality @eric craptone and @Leonard Scaper .

I actually feel that people don't want originality most of the time, they want formula (not the milk variety).

Many musical people want to to get on the band-wagon to make a career out of music and that often involves jumping through the current hoops. Whatever they are at the time.  If it involves extensive autotune fine, or using a looper pedal fine, or certain types of rap then fine too. Just give me a contract please and you can mould me into whatever you want me to be.

I believe it's down to most human brains actually craving the recognition of patterns , rememberer that thread about the Millennial whoop on here that was all the rage for a while ! Sub-cultural groups of people identify with  lyrics, or themes, or sounds, or anger, or peace and crave more to support their cultural identity. They are part of the club.

Meanwhile, some people are exploring the boundaries of what we call music because ... well hey they want to. That is a worthwhile thing to do for sure.

An interesting experiment people could do is only listen to Chinese or Arabic or other non-Western music for a while and see how their brain deals with a fresh take on sound. I guess the main themes that would come out would be Birth, Death, Religion, Seasons, Elements and all underpinned by Dance.

clip
A tool to look inside your music or any music or sound

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2019, 17:46:40
by Marcus Nalgaber
xx
One for the guitarists

Started by Wicked Deeds on The kitchen café

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2014, 09:54:06
by Michael