• One for the guitarists
  • Started by G
  • Wicked Deeds

One for the guitarists
on: January 08, 2014, 23:38:55
Did you learn to play on an electric, steel string acoustic, or perhaps a classical guitar.

I kept nicking my sisters classical guitar and I suppose that's why I'll always favour acoustic instruments - I just fell in love with their unplugged sound!  :)

Re: One for the guitarists
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 23:48:09
Dreadnought right away. Never likes the feel of a spanish (nylon) guitar...
I've got two electric guitars as well and I love playing them. But for songwriting I usually stick to my acoustic.

S
Journalist by day, singer-songwriter at night

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 00:30:27

I learnt to play on my uncles acoustic....can't remember what sort it was, but it was one of those with F holes, and a
  real pig on the fingers ;D

My first REAL guitar, was a Danelectro....which I've still got, and use.  I bought it from the 'Mel Bay' (I think) catalogue,
  along with a Columbus amp.  Must have been around 1965.....and I haven't been the same since ;D ;D  However, I think
  the first, most exciting purchase I made was a Fuzz Wah. ;D ;D  Once I had that hooked up, there was no stopping me. ;D
  Used to drive my family and neighbours crazy, playing the same two chords over and over and over again ;D ;D  At full
  volume, OF COURSE ;D ;D

OH, and don't forget the Wem Copycat ;D ;D....thought I was Jimmy Hendrix ;D ;D

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:19:32
I learned to play on a classical guitar, but haven't played it for years now. I bought a full bodied acoustic, then a few years later I bought a 3/4...got given a mandolin as a gift, and recently acquired a U-bass(uke bass) and a tenor uke, so as you can see my instruments are getting smaller and smaller. I also inherited my dads trumpet, but my most prized possession is my  pink trombone  ;D ;D ;D

• fischermans
  • Sous Chef
  • I'm always working on the big picture

• October 29, 2016, 08:52:39
    • Eynatten Belgium
    • https://www.facebook.com/Alexander.Fisch.Songwriter https://soundcloud.com/fischermans100
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:23
I try to learn guitar on a classical one.After my plan failed I bought a western guitar. Now that my plan is failed again I ask what to buy now? :P

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:06
Unless you count the occasional shredding on one of my Mom's old guitars hanging around the house (which were classical guitars fitted with steel strings - imagine the pain in the fingers!!), I first learned on an electric (it just seemed so much cooler, and less painful). Soon after, I got my first steel string though and have played both ever since.

But for songwriting I usually stick to my acoustic.
Same here, it just feels more natural this way, doesn't it?

xx
Guitarists?

Started by sully on Collaborations

17 Replies
Last post July 11, 2017, 22:00:06
by sully
xx
A question for guitarists about pedals and recording

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 20:26:10
by MrBouzouki