• Pay for Play and Give Away Copyright?
  • Started by jameswoolwine
Pay for Play and Give Away Copyright?
on: August 03, 2019, 11:23:47
Hello,

Has anyone here ever signed a publishing deal?  I'm curious what  kind of deal can a beginning and unknown writer expect to receive.  Specifically, would be it standard to give up your copyright and publishing rights, and have to pay for half of the demo fees?  Any insights are appreciated.  Thanks for your time! - James

Re: Pay for Play and Give Away Copyright?
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 14:22:35
Hi @jameswoolwine  I don't know about this but I'm going tag a few members who might. I'm going to say don't give up copyright unless you have a really, really good reason to.
I wonder if @jameshargreaves  @Dara  or  @SteveAlton  could give you some insight? 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 22:57:05
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 16:10:10
hi @jameswoolwine i am also going to tag @budhabuilding , because he has a lot of experience with these kinds of agreements with online publishers
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 17:06:39
Wow the website looks completely different to the last time I visited.  I’ll need to have a look around when I get a chance. 

A typical deal for someone starting out would be 50% publishing and 100% writers share. 

If a publisher wants to own the copyright they would offer an upfront fee to buyout the copyright.  It’s also common for a publisher to offer co-copyright deals.  In both cases the songwriter will still own 100% writers share in royalties.  “Or at least they should”.  If the publisher has the copyright it means they will exploit the music exclusively, which can be a good thing.  Or horrible if it’s just sitting there and you think you could have done more with it.     

If you’re starting out my advice would be to get your feet wet and self publish some music, try licensing your music through sites like audiojungle and pond 5, there is other good ones for bands and artists like music vine.

If I missed something or got something wrong feel free to correct me or add to it. 

Good luck!

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 19:09:12
Hi @jameswoolwine ,

@Dara is completely right.

One thing I would  add is: Never pay to get published or synced. They should always pay you to get your music out there....if you want to get good recordings ... invest time to make finished products or ask people to produce for you.

I released music on 6 different record companies. I had 2 record companies (metal and a ambient record companie) with a friend . And have more then 140 tracks synced with tv programs.

At the moment it’s a very busy market for music. So I now do everything DIY.

Connect with real people and work together and collaborate.

Just my opinion.....  :doublebonk:

Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 17:02:26
Thank you all for sharing that information.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 20:39:52
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:16:42
Don’t look at me for a real detailed answer.
In discussions like these, I alway miss the following aspect:

When starting, we tend to be grateful for our part of the deal, that is an outright business deal for the other side. Nothing wrong with that. But the other side often does a one sided job. They have the power to cancel under some circumstances, while on your side it’s an indefinite agreement. So your chances to renegotiate are nil.

Look at what was signed by John Fogarty (Creedence Clearwater Revival). Since 1968 untill recently, Fantasy paid him next to nothing while he kept the whole label afloat.

For some 50 years!
So, my idea is:
Do what the kind people here suggest if a publisher wants to underwrite those ideas.
But make sure that you don’t give away your rights to negotiate renewals in case you have the doubtful luck to get famous.

Good hunting!
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Link to UK Copyright Service Fact Sheet P-01: UK Copyright Law

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 01:15:04
by MrBouzouki
xx
Don’t Say Just Pay

Started by irwin on Songs for review

2 Replies