• Pitching to local artists
  • Started by Kellyanneg
Pitching to local artists
on: July 08, 2019, 02:24:57
I was just curious...have any of you pitched your songs to local artists to perform? If so, would you share the interaction and how you approached this? How did you feel about it? I am interested in this in the future, but not sure how to go about it and if it's a good idea. Any thoughts on the matter?
Do what makes your heart sing :)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:49:30
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Pitching to local artists
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 14:25:01
I have not ever considered that. Years ago I pitched a number songs on an on-line platform. During that brief period I tried to write from a broader perspective.

These days my songs are too ...... personal.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 14:47:32
I've been on the opposite side of that ….. kind of …. I guess …. maybe?  ::)

I'd say go see them perform a few times and if you get a chance to talk to them do it. But … don't act like you're all that. ( I can't imagine you doing that anyway) Just say something like " Hey I'm part of this international songwriting forum, I've been writing for a while and I was wondering if you want to hear a couple of my songs. I feel as though a few of them might fit really well with your act. Don't feel obligated either way. Should I email the demos to you?"

Then whatever you decide -  actually do it.

I've been in these situations:
1. A guy was telling us how great he was. He's selling his music all around, blah, blah … listen to my songs they're the best …. here's my youtube blah, blah  … I'm the greatest musician in the world   …   >:(    He's not. I feel like I need shower just thinking about it.
2. A man hired a group I was in for a wedding. He was paying big $. He wrote a song. We needed to play it. I had to rewrite it so that it was actually playable. Afterwards I don't even think he noticed that I had to completely reharmonize and rearrange the music for the band. He said he has 20 more songs where that came from … maybe we can record them for him?  :o  >:(
3. Recently someone told us he has a song that he thinks would be perfect for us. He's real cool , not pushy, not annoying  ;)  He said he'd email the lyrics for us to check out. I still haven't received the email.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 16:32:23
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 17:20:53 by Kellyanneg »
@Bill from November Sound "I feel like I need a shower just thinking about it".  :lol:
Interesting to hear the flip side. I have only "witnessed" a few that think they're all that, and what a turn-off it is. At the same time there are performers that think theyre all that and are unapproachable. Yuck. Adding to this...I love writing and playing in my little room and strive to improve. It's where I'll happily stay. Doing what makes us happy is best I believe.

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 20:48:51
I have not ever considered that. Years ago I pitched a number songs on an on-line platform. During that brief period I tried to write from a broader perspective.

These days my songs are too ...... personal.
Hi @Leonard Scaper I know what you're saying...I think mine are too. I've tried writing in a more mainstream way but it felt mechanical and limited. I find that there's very true/genuine talent in much greater numbers at places like this website and soundcloud, bandcamp and local acts (November Sound for example 😊) etc than the mainstream on the radio, generally speaking of course.

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 23:13:13
Well @Kellyanneg  ... we won't tell @Dutchbeat  ... but maybe sometimes your songs could be put up for a kitchen challenge.  ;D
.... you just gotta be careful what you wish for ......  >:D

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 14:16:18
 :o @Bill from November Sound I am curious about these challenges, and a bit intimidated as well lol. You guys are on a level of writing and skill I hope to reach, and I'm slowly piecing together my software recording mystery, with the wonderfully generous and patient guidance from you guys. I am observing and applying, and hitting repeat. Someday soon!

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 19:38:41
Hi @Kellyanneg   I've never pitched any of my songs (I can't stand rejection  ;D)

but, I have had two of my songs covered by other artists. One was for a contest on this forum where we covered someone else's song and another they covered just because they liked it.  These are the best two recordings of my stuff that I have and could never record at their level.

There is nothing like the feeling of hearing someone else do your song.

As far as the contest goes,  even though I've set the last couple out, they are really just friendly and a person shouldn't put themselves under pressure . I will be entering them again in the future and I always like listening to the entries and voting.  Not everyone can sing etc. but a well crafted song goes beyond that.

If any one is interested .... the two songs I mentioned a have posted on my low profile site where I post mostly covers of songs I like.

https://soundcloud.com/vincent-stewart-609962485/she-dont-shine-a-light

https://soundcloud.com/vincent-stewart-609962485/kicked-to-the-curb-blues

Vince

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 20:14:33
@Vince hello! They are both great songs! Love the guitar on "Kicked Me to the Curb"... I think to have someone else wanting to perform your songs is such a great compliment and would make me feel elated. Yes, everyone here is so friendly. I haven't experienced the kindness of a community like this elsewhere.   :shinyteeth:

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 21:09:30
@Kellyanneg  do you have a Sound Cloud site where I can hear your songs?  I always try to listen to and follow the people here (it's difficult if they are not on the Sound Cloud).

I was wondering if there is an artist on this forum or on SC that you like and have a rapport with?  It would be easier asking them if they would record one. If it's not finished or needs words or music you might have to share credit so you could then ask if they would work with you.  Also, if you have a vision or goal about what to do with it after you have it. Post it on Spotify to sell?..., then iron out how to split any money  (long shot but you never know)

V.

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 21:58:16
@Vince if you type in "kellyanneg" in soundcloud search itll take you right there...Im the only kellyanneg. And thank you for asking! I'll follow you as well. My songs are piano/keyboard and vocal... mostly ballads and recorded on my phone, so no bells and whistles there! There are several here that have helped me tremendously in guiding me with getting set up with the right "gear" and sound tips, with which I'm really hoping to create more upbeat songs when I get the needed equipment..  I have always been a loner so-to-speak, and my only music outlet has been soundcloud, which I just in the last year began to do. Unfortunately I have obstacles that prevent me from being able to reciprocate what I wish to give back. I'm hoping for change to come. So I give support as much as I can, knowing how much it means. A lot on the table, I know...just being up front. I do what I can and push for what might help with improvement. I would love to hear your songs!

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 22:26:20
@Vince just heard "Hold Me Tight". Such a touching pretty song. Love it.

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 17:19:41
@Vince just heard "Hold Me Tight". Such a touching pretty song. Love it.

Aw your too kind, btw I was already following you from my main SC site. Sometimes It gets soooo many re-posts I miss the stuff from people I follow.

BTW, There are lists of music publishers that accept unsolicited material. They probably get a million songs a day so anything you wright has to grab them fast, if it even gets a listen. I think your stuff is that good.

I was reading a book "Confessions Of A Serial Songwriter"  she gets into how to get a song done by one of the "established" artists you have to give up or share writing credit. If you don't that's Okay, plenty of other songs out there.

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 18:54:10
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 19:10:21 by Kellyanneg »
@Vince thank you so much!! Yes I think cowriting is important. How do you go about cowriting? I'm interested in that book...I'll check out my library. I know most publishers want to hear radio-ready quality, and I am a far cry from that. I am also trying to come up with more mid to uptempo stuff. If I can get this recording stuff under my belt I think it will help. Thank you Vince!!! And yes, "Hold Me Tight" is a pretty one. Sounds personal, yet relatable and moving.  :pompom:

xx
Hello Fellow Artists!

Started by lil-Violin on Me

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2019, 14:55:09
by Bill from November Sound
xx
Help!!! Sounds like what artists?

Started by Jambrains on The kitchen café

9 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 17:44:30
by Dutchbeat