• Saying "Thanks"
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Saying "Thanks"
on: July 20, 2019, 19:33:13
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 16:36:02 by Bill from November Sound »
I wasn't sure how to title this post so I went with "saying thanks" . I hope this makes sense.
In my experience I find that so many opportunities come just by being grateful and expressing that gratitude unto others.

Here are a few rules that I try to always follow:

1. Say Hello. If I listen to someone's song and I like it I "hit the heart" leave a comment (esp. YouTube) to let them know I checked in.

2. Say Thanks (even on-line). If someone comments on SoundCloud or YouTube …. always reply with at least "thank you" .

3. Follow up. If someone hires you for a gig always follow up with another "Thank you.  + I hope I can work for you again soon. If you know anybody else who would want us we'd really appreciate you passing on our info."

4. Be Real. Don't spam people!!! Don't be the musician who makes every single post/email/message - BUY MY STUFF! I'M THE BEST.

[ -- Edit--- these are my rules for myself - I'm not saying others need to do this ----- ]

The Bad:
Often times I come across people online and in real life who want to be the big shot, enigmatic Rockstar. Follow no one. Reply to no one. Be grateful to no one.  ...…. post a video over and over on a songwriters forum just to crank up the YouTube views ...… Every Twitter post = New Album Coming Out Soon! DOWNLOAD IT NOW!!! ...…...  To me, it is really annoying. I guess it works for some.  ???

The Good:
My most recent example of gratitude leading to opportunity: Last year someone hired us for a party. I just checked in a couple months ago with a quick email. - "Hey friend, I hope you are well! ………etc. …….  We really appreciate your support. If you or anyone you know in the neighborhood might want music for a party we'd really appreciate you passing on our info."  - Two weeks later we were contacted for another party.
Also sometimes things can be really simple. When I comment on someone's SoundCloud I look to see if they acknowledge me with a "thanks". If they do then I'll repost the music, share it on Twitter etc.

Anyway, I'm not trying to preach.  I'm hoping maybe others have had experiences with this?
Have you said "thanks" to someone and it led to more opportunities?
Do you have a story of positive interaction with others because of gratitude?
Have you had bad experiences with wannabe rockstars who are never grateful?

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Re: Saying "Thanks"
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 21:04:04
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 22:19:03 by Vince »
You know @Bill from November Sound , I always try to send a thank you, sometimes things slip through the cracks though. With the millions of hours of music posted on Sound Cloud everyday and someone actually listened to mine ..... go figure.

As far as listening, I mostly try to leave a heart,  it's not something I do all the time and I could be better at doing it (like giving Karma Coins). I try to listen to every song posted for review here, because I like to support the members. There are some that if they decided to do a world tour I would drive the bus and carry the guitar case. Others I don't think I'd even try to sneak  in for free.

I do know the people you are writing about, I've met them at open mics, which is funny because at open mics (like Sound Cloud) your playing mostly for your peers.

As far as a paying band gig, it's like any other business as far as I can tell. When I had my accounting business, before retiring , I would advertise but most of my business came from word of mouth.  Although, as they say you can't please everyone a bad word is hard to over come.

Most of the occasions I've been invited to have had DJ's playing records, it's been a long time since I went to one that had a band. So I can imagine networking and being professional (having spare batteries,  cables, showing up on time, being friendly) is quite important .

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:55:26
There are some that if they decided to do a world tour I would drive the bus and carry the guitar case. Others I don't think I'd even try to sneak  in for free.
Ha, ha @Vince this is funny. .... or maybe I'm not sure what it means...  ;D  :D
I'm imagining you with the bus driver hat and all  C:-)

I do know the people you are writing about, I've met them at open mics, which is funny because at open mics (like Sound Cloud) your playing mostly for your peers.
Melissa and I host open mics .... and, yeah, agreed sometimes some of the players are a little "off" it seems.   

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 13:35:12
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 13:44:25 by Kellyanneg »
Gratitude is an amazing thing.
 "Often times I come across people online and in real life who want to be the big shot, enigmatic Rockstar. Follow no one. Reply to no one. Be grateful to no one."
Everyone starts somewhere, and I think the listeners and people that believe in you are like the foundation. Enjoy your travels, but don't forget your home. I try hard to encourage and show appreciation, and would give more if I could. I know how much it means to have that support, but also to be appreciated for it , to show it means something to those people. And there are some that genuinely don't care. "Saying thanks" is a great title.  :thumbsup:
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 16:07:09
By sneaking in @Bill from November Sound , I was thinking back to a time when I lived closer to my family and before my brother in law retired. He was in a band and sometimes when I had nothing to do on a Saturday night I would grab something and walk in the back door and say I was with the band.

Worked every time  ;D

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 06:49:33
THANK YOU  ::thumb::
Jeete