• Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:08:40
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
This post is especially for any American Members who might be interested but not able to see BBC content about a special flypast in Sheffield this morning.

Thousands of people cheered a fly-past honouring 10 airmen who died when their plane crashed in a park 75 years ago.

The US bomber came down in Endcliffe Park, Sheffield on 22 February 1944, killing everyone on board.

A campaign for a fly-past started after a chance meeting between BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker and Tony Foulds, who tends a park memorial.

A tearful Mr Foulds was given a rousing round of applause as the planes flew over. He said: "This is unbelievable."

Relatives of the aircrew and thousands of people from across Britain paid their respects as the planes roared over the memorial at about 08:45 GMT

Six terms related to the fly-past - Tony Foulds, Endcliffe Park, #TonyGotAFlypast #RememberTheTen #MiAmigo75th and #sheffieldflypast - trended on Twitter on Friday.

PDF attached of some of the BBC posts online
"Love and Life is all about connections"

I recently read a book about American bomber squadrons covering  WW2. Until I read the book I had no idea how many men died as a result of  planes simply ceasing to fly properly. Apparently a combination of inexperienced young pilots and planes quickly thrown together in an effort to build up the air power of the US. Compared to today's aircraft they weren't very air worthy in bad weather all loaded down with fuel and bombs.
The loses in combat were huge too. Many squadrons might fly out 200 bombers and only return with 75. I found the subject interesting but felt bad for all of those young men who were barely old enough to grow whiskers die.

Quite commendable that they would do this and I'm sure very well received by those who were involved. Hats off to those involved in this.

I haven't seen anything in the news about it here (although something else in Chicago -Land has taken over the news lately). I'm old enough to have worked with some of those WW II vets back in the day. Not many of them left any more.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Yesterday at 20:08:40
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
I've found a YouTube video now :-)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef