• So why do you use and how do you interact with the kitchen ?
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• November 26, 2020, 18:59:13
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: So why do you use and how do you interact with the kitchen ?
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 23:43:20
"I'm not a singer-songwriter." @Bill from November Sound  - I'm surprised, I thought you wrote tunes of yourselve. 

@MrBouzouki - I am interested in seeing this forum getting of the ground, as opposed to the big commercial socal media - this is a more intimate experience. How to get inspired, how to channel creativity, how to advise eachother. I like 'opbouwende kritiek' - that's Dutch for criticism that builds up. Not necessarily harsh.

With searching out music makers who are active on forums and lpatforms like soundcloud, reverbnation, hearthis.at back in the day Myspace, I have had fun finding musicians in with odd styles in odd places - hiphop in China, check, Disco in the Sahara - check, jazz in Greenland - bring it on.

I don't see any demise of this Forum, in a qualitative sense. Everytime I log in I read some interesting thoughts, hear interesting new music.
The question could also be - is there an end to music? I think not, but I read with interest this long piece
https://starling.rinet.ru/music/essay1.htm  by Sergei Starostin in which he argues that "The days of truly creative, impressive and original experimentation are over." 

The actual Kitchen meeting, live - a few years ago in the Ardennes - was very much part for me of the essential Kitchen Forum experience. So I would very much welcome meetings in RL, after the lockdowns & pandemic.
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 00:52:05
re: the essay
Whoah @oorlab  he's quite a music critic isn't he?

re: singer songwriter
Someone who writes and sings their own songs. I don't sing. (in public)  ;)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• November 26, 2020, 18:59:13
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 01:12:50
@Bill from November Sound  - yes - a Russian, in their dark winters they have enough time to write long pieces.
Singer songwriter - I take it as a particular style, or role. Not necessarily meaning you actually sing your own stuff. But I bet you can sing, or hum a tune. Or whistle.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 07:30:21
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:34:32 by LePlongeur »
Or he ( @Bill from November Sound ) probably sings to his shower head. The craziest things are done with shower heads. As described in ‘Spin the bottle’. Maybe the reason for its success.
In 2020 exceptional, but when I joined in January 2018, the views/listens were all at that level.

And this is a part that illustrates what I mean about Kitcheners wanting help and seemingly wanting for me to find out what they are looking for. My reaction to that:

It’s posted and you ask for tips and hints. But what I do or don’t think of this song, largely depends on what your aim/goal is with this recording.
If you want to share the magic of a song being born, you succeeded. The lyrics tell an important story; and a sad story too I’m afraid. Very well done @Kozo.

If the both of you want to use the recording to release it in a larger way, it could do with some improvements. But if you want to celebrate your collaboration, I’d leave it pretty much as it is. I love it, warts and all.
And I hope to hear more of both of you in this vein. Delicately handled.....

Probably I was too rude, because our Kitchener’s post count stopped at 7 I believe.
I did a very nice collab with Kozo though, some time later.

But this is what I meant. How can you ask for help without
- telling what your aim is with the song
- to what extent you’d welcome help
- and what kind of help you are actually looking for

Maybe a small divide is the solution.
- one for songs you post for fun. Because you like to post it
- one for songs, the Kitchener want help with

Publishing in any state.... is difficult since all my songs are instantly written and recorded.  And I am not the only one. I know for a fact that Marcus works that way as well.
Sculpturers like to hack away at things and do that for the pleasure of discovering what will happen; discovering the outcome. I fact that goes for me too.

The nice questions are those, that make me think again after I initially posted a remark. Very well done @MrBouzouki
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 26, 2020, 18:41:52
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 12:41:36
It's a good call to say the Kitchen is more 'intimate experience' @oorlab :-)

I feel Sergei Starostin is wrong by the way.  ;D

Many people have said, everything has been written, there is no new music etc. but it's the fact that music is a combination of :-

Notes (different parts of the World have different notes / scales)

Rhythm (so many beats / pulses that combined with notes that is a synergistic thing)

Words (verbal meaning for non instrumentals)

Language (some music works better in different languages... it just does)

Timbre (of instruments used)

Style (the delivery of the music)

Time (The passage of time brings new instruments / new ideas / new anything)

So we have plenty of ways of expression left  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 12:47:52
So is anybody else up for saying why they come to the Kitchen forum, what do you bring to it, what do you get out of it ?

Why is a place like this  better than social media ?

In what ways is it worse ?

Is the social link with other creatives important to you ?

• Knate
  • Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist

• November 24, 2020, 16:42:10
    • Carbondale, CO
    • https://twitter.com/Knate_B https://www.facebook.com/KnateOfficial/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy_LIRo5lDZvjDYEgjpYTQ https://soundcloud.com/knate-official
  • more
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 01:04:39
So is anybody else up for saying why they come to the Kitchen forum, what do you bring to it, what do you get out of it ?

Why is a place like this  better than social media ?

In what ways is it worse ?

Is the social link with other creatives important to you ?

Ive been wrestling with this question since you asked me to add to this thread and I still dont have a solid answer.

I like it here.
I like the people here.

The kitchen to me is like a small group of like-minded people to bounce ideas off of.  A songwriting think tank so to speak. 

I left not because I didnt want to be here, but because I didnt have anything to contribute.  I mean, I COULD HAVE contributed, but I didnt want to without it being meaningful and worth something to people.  I wasnt writing much at all and was focuses on other things, which were fulfilling me in the ways I needed at the time and left me without the passion I need to be of use around here.  Frankly, I stopped caring as much.

I came back because I care again.  Im playing, writing, performing again, and music has again taken a prominent place in my thoughts and life.  I dont have any plans for how ill contribute yet.  Ill likely mostly listen to folks tunes and offer what feedback I can when something strikes me.  I may also disappear again for weeks at a time if things change.  I dont know.  Ill post my songs from time to time too.  I agree that this isnt the place to gain "exposure" or whatever, but I like the same kind of feedback most everyone else does here, but I dont want to selfishly flood the page with my works either.

I honestly despise the overly intimate yet still completely cold and impersonal vibes that social media gives.  Social media has its place, but I dont care for it much at all.

As far as other activities here goes, Im not sure how much, if any, competitions or collaborations Ill do.  I just rarely have the time or will to write unless I have the urge to, and that urge gets more fickle as I get older lol. 

In the past too, Ive felt that the competitions ended up being about who records the best as opposed to who wrote the best song, which turned me off considerably.  I only participated in one comp and listened/voted in the others so its not about sour grapes on my end.  Not sure if its still like that, but it was back then.  Ill reserve judgment until I can witness them in their current state. 

Well, Ill just stop here.  I dont know if my scatterbrained response was of any use to anyone, but there it is lol.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 12:44:27
Thanks for opening up @Knate ... it's great to get some feedback on the 'Community'  and I must admit I feel much more positive than when I started this thread about the value of forums in general and this one in particular.  All feedback is valuable in my opinion.  :-)

It's good getting feedback on the Competition side of things. Does subjective judging, balancing one song against the other, have value ? Maybe it does and perhaps it gives a boost for those who do well. Much depends I guess on why you create music, to be heard, to be successful or just because it's there, inside your head perhaps ?   

I love the idea of you thinking of this pace as being a songwriting think-tank :-)

I think many on here agree about the cold. impersonal vibe that social media has.  You see @Dutchbeat , the warmth of those Kitchen stoves is a thing to be proud of.  :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:

I think you describe the ebb and flow of the creative urge very well. If you are struggling in life, have a young family, have money or health worries, family issues of all types, are working 25/7 !! , then the creative spirit often disappears or hibernates even in the most disciplined of creators.

However, a change of fortune, a bit of space opens up and then suddenly there you are , creating again. I truly feel it is a 'calling' in some people to make music. Not as a job or career, but because you need to get it out in whatever way you can. As such, people generally understand if members  disappear off the radar for a while. It's part of the cycle of all creatives and tied into life itself.

So it's good to have you back, I'm looking forward to hearing what you create, it's what the core of this place is all about, listening and thinking, I get what you are trying to say :-)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 12:45:34
Let's keep this conversation going folks, it's turning out to be a very interesting one.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 20:58:50
 I think it might have been @MrBouzouki who turned me onto The kitchen :)

I forget if we were conversing on a composer forum or Soundcloud and I think you mentioned it. Like a ship that has weathered many storm I feel that both as a musician and as a person I have been flexed a lot in the storm these last 5 years or so.  I had major health issues( life threatening) that seem to have abated, at least for the foreseeable future.  That really knocked me.  I came back from it but I had to admit to myself I wasn't exactly the same person. I have my creative side all divided up which has caused me some confusion. I have felt splintered as an artist.

I actually thought I knew something until I looked though Bach's catalogs of compositions the other day.  I think I was placing too much emphasis on my music. I have been going through this process trying to determine what's really important or how to categorize things in such a way as to be fair to both myself and God. I think I was looking for who I was through my music. As fellow creators I think maybe you understand that we draw much positive energy from our creations, even if in the world's eyes they amount to a hill of beans. I think that's ok but I am realizing I don't want this to define me totally as a human being. If you're a guitarist, imagine if you lost your arm in an accident tomorrow. Now you can never play again. How would you feel about that?

I had been running after a bunch of empty prizes. Thinking that if I only worked with certain musicians I would be happy. If only I could make the perfect song. All of this simply led me to the emptiness and my admission that I was inadequate to fill it either on my own or with the help of others.

This compartmentalization of my already limited  creativity  amounted to splitting myself between playing multiple musical instruments ( way more than I should have taken on ) Like the violin.....this is a hard instrument to play and play well, so my teacher beats me up ( not literally ) over it  and I'm slowly learning it but man it's a load I sometimes wonder if I should have avoided. Maybe one day when I'm better I won't think this way. On top of that I have still been playing sessions. The virus didn't stop me. We just meet in back yards now. Then there is my church music work. It can be time consuming. I was a music leader at a church for the past 8 years but circumstances led to me quitting it. Though I sub sometimes and sing tenor in the choir still.

On top of all of this I try to write new music but admittedly the well has been dry lately because I just haven't had time. I won't go into those details.
I have lots of problems with musical direction. I feel like I should be using what I can do for God, but I also don't think He is upset if I make music that isn't directly tied to my  beliefs so long as the music isn't anti- god.  I can't seem to find a context for it in any real way though.

I don't know if you would call it aimless or  I want to get into more things than my ability, my time or my talent allows.  I almost joined a 4 piece band last month. I'm glad I didn't do it because I didn't have the time.

So you see- It has NOTHING to do with this website or websites similar to this.  It's all me having trouble attempting to process what to do, how to do it and make the time lol. I am not undecided on most things I do , but when it comes to my art  I seem to fall short. Most of my ideas remain abstract. It seems the older I get the more difficult it gets to do it. I was once obsessed with making one song every week and I would spend literally HOURS upon HOURS working at it. Then I put the song out and it seems as if it was just a chunk of data on Soundcloud.  I was still proud of some of that work. I had to be content with simply making the music for my own mental well being and not look at the dismal reality of exposure. To also accept that a lot of what I do really isn't someone else's "thing".

In the end, I think I was putting too much value on what I did. No matter how good I thought it was. I was putting too much value on ME.

So maybe this last several years have been a sort of re orientation  for me to re examine what I do. Why I do it and what I hope to gain from it.

In the simplest terms, I get satisfaction from creating something I like. That hasn't happened in awhile.

So to recap- I'm messed up and it has nothing to do with the Kitchen :)  lol.

Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 13:42:16
Brilliant @Timothy Smith ! Brilliant.  :praise:

Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 05:04:04
My main reasons are to hear new artists and understand their creative process and get feed back and critiques of my music.  This forum has helped me a lot.
Create!

Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 21:56:21
Good show @CGHound   :ok:

xx
Kitchen percussion/instrument VST created esp. for the kitchen AND for free!!

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

14 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 18:23:59
by Dutchbeat
xx
Kitchen 5ys anniversary - New kitchen forum style

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

24 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 07:53:08
by LePlongeur
xx
Built a kitchen radio! + Submit your kitchen radio jingles, it's fun!!

55 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 20:29:00
by robertkc
xx
WELCOME to the KITCHEN 2.0!!

68 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 17:03:17
by Rachel_D
xx
for the kitchen only...