• Spam Emails
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Spam Emails
on: April 18, 2021, 14:59:27
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 15:05:33 by Bill from November Sound »
So now I'm getting spam emails from Musicians!?!?!    ??? 

Things like this:

Hello,

This is my latest collaboration with the very talented Peter Heckmann and Kevin A. Bird.
I hope it will make you purr with pleasure whatever your age…

Bonjour,
voici ma dernière collaboration avec les très talentueux Peter Heckmann et Kevin A. Bird.
En espérant qu'elle vous fera ronronner de plaisir quel que soit votre âge…

https://soundcloud.com/xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx

Myckaël XXXXXXX

This is been happening quite a bit. All of them have been from France.
I never signed up for their emails ..... maybe I accidentally like one of their tracks on SoundCloud so they looked up my email address  :(    ???   
Why would someone do this?

This is not an effective marketing strategy!
It is just annoying.
Other musicians are not your "customers"!

okay, rant over
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Not currently posting music here but we're easy to find if you care to listen. November Sound will happily listen, follow, like, subscribe and repost for people who do the same. We get a lot of spam so let us know you're from the kitchen!

Re: Spam Emails
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 18:04:21
...I once got a similar soundcloud message... but not an actual email
... I agree - I don't think it is an effective strategy to send emails to persons who have not subscribed for such emails
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 21:38:35
@Bill from November Sound   some people have found a way of making money with music, unfortunately not with making it, but selling stuff to those who do. 

People probably pay good money to have someone send those e-mails. There are better ways to spend your cash,
Vince

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 23:20:20
Oh wow @Vince you think someone was paid to find our email address and send us the spam?
Musicians would do that? Geez.

@Rachel_D yes always stuff like that in soundcloud dm's but these people got our email address. From SC ?   IDK 

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 00:04:14
Not saying this is @Bill from November Sound . Before I retired people were always trying to sell lists to me. all that junk mail you receive both snail and e-mail is usually a result of your contact info being on a list,  When a person moves, for example, the moving company sells your info and all of a sudden you receive all these offers pertaining to a new residence.

There are also companies that you can pay to do the marketing (sending the mail) for a fee. It's just a numbers game and if you have a phone # and a mailing address you are on somebodies list,

Don't even get me started on the "dark web"   ;D   Since I've been retired the one list I find myself on repeatedly is The Shit List.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 13:40:51
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:50:39
This is but one of the no no’s of SC.
Being bombarded by ‘people’ who want to boost my ‘fantastic’ music to high heavens.
Sound click offers you the possibility to go on listening if the required track is over. But far more sympathetic than SC. If I listened to one of your tracks @Bill from November Sound , they start you last one before the required one. And than the last one before that.

I’m comfortable: not important enough to be spammed. I like that a lot.
These leeches have always been around in music land. Andrew Loog Oldham? Of the Immediate record label. I honestly believe no one ever saw a cent of what they were earning for the label. He was oh so friends with the Stones. Guess why they never signed with him?

It doesn’t matter if they are French. Make a small typo in your email address in SC?
And then if all goes well, silence.

Kind regards, Gus

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 15:10:07
You know what @LePlongeur  ... ?
I don't really see where my email is public on SoundCloud anywhere.  ???

I feel like they are going to our website and then getting it there. I don't know.

But, honestly, I like having conversations with other musicians and I'm totally fine with people emailing us!  :)  I just don't like these spammy things.  >:(    If someone was like, "Hey Melissa & Bill I just made this new track. Can you give it a spin before I put it public?" or something like that I'm totally cool with it.

True it doesn't need to be only French that do this. Just in my experience (4 different ones now) they've been from France. I've even confronted them and said, "Hey, we're NOT your customers! Stop sending us spam mail. We are real people. If you want to have real conversation with us that's totally cool and feel free to use email that way." The response from the last one was, " Well I saw you liked one of my tracks so I thought you'd want to get emails. I'm not interested in conversation."  -    >:(   
Just because someone likes one of your tracks doesn't mean they want to get emails from you every time you put up another one.

I do know an American composer who does this, too I think.  ::Hoss::
I let it slide because Melissa and I are actual friends with him in real life .... well we have met in person when he was over here on the east coast. It's different when you actually know the person.     

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 18:16:06
In my recent experience, both songs that I uploaded to SoundCloud have only been met with spam messages and comments, and minimal authentic interactions. Anytime I use hashtags to promote a post on Instagram, it is similarly met with spam comments & people offering to promote my music (pay to promote). It's really annoying.

Is it just me, or has SoundCloud gone downhill in recent years? I feel like I always had a much better natural, organic response from genuine people when I uploaded songs back in 2015. Does buying SoundCloud Pro change this? That might be a whole different discussion..

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 19:31:29
has SoundCloud gone downhill in recent years?

I agree with you 100%

@Curtwood Bearsman 

It is awful and getting worse. 2019 was the last "good" year for SC in my opinion.

I wish Audius could get their act together. If they could add comments or messages or something I'd leave SC forever.

xx
Spam IP block

Started by digger72 on The kitchen café

11 Replies
Last post December 22, 2013, 01:43:04
by fischermans