• stereotypes of bandmembers...
  • Started by Dutchbeat
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:34:48
  • more
stereotypes of bandmembers...
on: December 10, 2013, 22:12:40
ok, most of us played in a band, or still do...

do you agree that the singer, guitarists, keyboardplayer and drummer (in no particular order!)

have different characters, on average? (on average!)

to stereo type them from my limited experience

the guitarist is a cool guy (or girl!), but most often a guy
he doesn't talk much, but when he does he is very clear about his opinion to the other band members ("i think this song sucks...that's all" ..that kind of remark at band practice)
oh and he gets all the girls, for some reason, assuming again that the guitarist is most likely a man

the drummer doesn't speak at all except for: "Yeah" and "Groovy!", is almost always a man, is likely to have some form of ADHD, and loves any music at bandpractice, aslong as there is music playing and not talking

the singer is a bit more likely to be female than male, statistically, so on average,
and in this stereotyped hypothetical band, she also brings in the lyrics, to so much relief of the other bandmembers, she makes a song out of it

and then of course...i almost forgot that.....in the corner is the keyboardplayer. Thi can be a male or a female, but he or she is clearly the uncoolest person of the band, never gets date after a concert....but... ;D

the audience simply didn't notice how it was exactly these keyboard and synths sounds, placed at the exact right timing, that made them go bezerk, at th?t point....

and that is enough for the keyboardplayer  ;D

what are your stereotypes about the different bandroles....??? do you recognise this, or is every band different???????

you can share your stereotypes here with examples, we like gossip ;D ;D ;D
me, myself, and Pie

• Wicked Deeds

Re: stereotypes of bandmembers...
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 22:35:00
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 22:52:17 by Wicked Deeds »
Singer: person who turns up to gigs with a mic then leaves whilst the rest of the band carry all the heavy gear!  ;D

Songwriter: introvert - does 90 % of the creative work including writing parts for other band members!  Cares about his/her creation more than is necessary and is consequently driven to lunacy when the folk song that they have written, unexplainably turns into a heavy Metal anthem - see also control freak!    ;D

Bass - a lucky guy/gal - bass is such a cool instrument - wish I played bass in a band. Bass players are delighted when a drummer can discipline himself to keep tempo without squeezing unnecessary fills into a bar that don't quite fit!  ;D

Guitarist - the guy who often doesn't have an appreciation of what is needed to compliment a song - it's usually about his technical ability and little to do with awareness of what is required.  ;D

Keys - the guy who insists on a stereo take whilst the guitarist has to make do with one, despite it being much easier to achieve a good keyboard sound than a guitar sound!  ;D

Drums - think about Animal from the muppet show!  This guy always feels a strong urge to fill every silence with his playing and needs to knock hell out of his kit, unnecessarily breaking sticks and ear drums!  Female drummers, in my experience are much better - they leave their egos behind and understand the importance of keeping time! ;D.

;D = there is a strong element of truth in everything that I have written. ;D

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 22:41:53

we clearly have been in different bands!!!

and oops, i indeed forgot the bass player...but a keyboard player can give an excellent deeeeeeeeeeeep bass  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry to the bass players  :P :P :P

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 22:48:40
I forgot to add, Dutch will definitely be the exception to the rule re keyboard players.  He's too polite to hog all of the available studio tracks  :P;D

Dutch,  this is a cool topic - I could add so much more to this thread -  so many weird band experiences - I still carry the scars  ;D

;D = strong element of truth to what I have jut written!  ;D

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 22:55:05
cool  ;D

i love to hear more soon
and the singer not carrying heavy stuff, that may be a stereotype, with an element of truth....on average...on average that is  ;D ;D ;D

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 22:59:27
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 23:01:00 by Wicked Deeds »
Also played in a band with a brilliant saxophonist who was a lovely chap.  He was into body building  - a gentle giant with a lovely personality!  ;D

Then there was Susan - I always had a soft spot for her. Susan played clarinet - now why didn't I tell her about my feelings!  ;D

By the way, Susan could do no wrong!  ;D

;D = strong element of truth!  ;D

• Jess
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Who's that girl? It's Jess!

• March 13, 2014, 21:33:45
    • Cloud 9
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 19:56:57
and oops, i indeed forgot the bass player...
HOW COULD YOU FORGET BASS PLAYERS WHEN THE GREATEST MAN OF ALL TIME (Noel Redding) WAS A BASS PLAYER!? I'd don't think I will ever love another man as much as I love Noel :'( :'(
"When writing a song, if you're afraid to suck, you'll never write a note"

• Jess
  • Vegetable Chef

• Cloud 9
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 19:57:39
*loved
(He's dead now)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 20:36:23
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 23:51:20 by it must be me, Dutchbeat? »
Noel redding....Jess, you keep amazing me, you certainly know the classics..

.how old you said you are???

the other way around, i heard some more Katy Perry on the Car Radio today, since you metioned her, and you mentioned her multiple times  ;D ;D ;D ;D, i start hearing / picking up when a song is from katy Perry

today i heard: the One that got away...;D ;D ;D
(i am making some progress, don't you think? )

and that song made the traffic jam acceptable, that one is a great song for a traffic jam...  "...buy me a time machine"

seriously, i loved it, it also made me realise, i really should tone down my (muddy) reverbs all the way from the beats once in a while, well from everything in fact

but i am so far off topic now....so back to: stereotypes of bandmembers.....

so, the bass player...this is not a guy (or girl) who wants to be in the center of attention on average, but appreciates discipline from the other band members, so clear chords, people sticking to what was planned, no messing around for no reason, it is a team player. Also the type that loves to play music, not too much talking and kidding around in between songs, a type that want to get the job done as planned...

a very grounded, and realistic, hard working type. The bass playes usually is also the one that arranges gigs and has to kick the others'.... to get to band practice, and to get some structure in an arrangment

• Jess
  • Vegetable Chef

• Cloud 9
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:29
Noel redding....Jess, you keep amazing me, you certainly know the classics..

.how old you said you are???

the other way around, i heard some more Katy Perry on the Car Radio today, since you metioned her, and you mentioned her multiple times  ;D ;D ;D ;D, i start hearing / picking up when a song is from katy Perry

EEEEK I love noel! My friend is really into old music and we soon realised that my initials are JH like jimi Hendrix and hers are EC like eric clapton and from there our alter egos were born :) noel is just amazing his hair makes me want to cry with happiness :D 14 year olds these days...
KATY PERRY OMG DID I MENTION THAT I. AM. GOING. TO. SEE. HER. NEXT. YEAR. No wait it's THIS YEAR EEEEEK, I'm glad that you like her, she is fantabulous!