• Subscribe or Follow?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Subscribe or Follow?
on: June 20, 2020, 21:53:09
Do you ever subscribe to YouTube Channels or follow people on Twitter, SoundCloud or Spotify?

I wonder sometimes if it is a cultural thing.  ???   

I'm usually pretty liberal with that following and subscribing thing but I notice others are not.   :-\

Since one of my songs has been "taking off" ( I use that term loosely ... I guess)  in India suddenly I'm getting more subscribers in a matter of minutes than I had gotten in years in the past.

What are your thoughts?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Re: Subscribe or Follow?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 20:21:07
Congratulations  :pompom: @Bill from November Sound it seems your following is growing! You deserve it.... your family has a wholesome sound and a vibe that is relaxing and pleasant.

I don’t have any insight on the subject but I can tell you that I do subscribe to a handful of YouTube channels and a handful subscribe to mine. The same with SoundCloud  and Instagram. I’m not on FB or Twitter.

I generally return a follow or subscribe if I feel there is a kindred spirit. I don’t go looking for followers, but I will follow someone if really like the content. Sometimes they follow back. I prefer it to develop organically... if that makes sense.

Not sure how something like what you are describing happens... but good to know such a thing is possible!  :dance:

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 22:23:00
@Bill from November Sound I try to follow and subscribe to channels and support people that way, I do stay away from political and social comments (turns me off - and just how many people have lost jobs etc just posting what later turned out to be the wrong thing - such intolerance)

Any way, it probably does depend on the age group.  So, if you decide to tour India and need a guitar player....

Vince

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 03:29:41
Yes @1roomstudio  ... that sounds right. I think most people do it that way.  And, yes, I may be a little too liberal with my following  but it's fun for me.
Thank you for the kind words.

That's true @Vince  ... yes stay away from politics ... at least for those of us who have jobs at risk. I agree. I totally get it. I honestly get sick of the politics especially crazy on twitter.
Oh man you're funny about that Indian tour  :D ..... but then again... :-\ ... maybe you're on to something.  ???   

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:51:40
If you wish to be followed and subscribed to....then I guess you need to be subscribing and following.  ;)

I have never really felt that need, which is one reason why my main hosting site is Soundclick rather than Soundcloud. I always just wanted a place to put my songs where they could live and maybe even reach new ears without the need for a lot of often times contrived social discourse.

I have never been one for the social media aspect of Soundcloud as it always feels a bit jaded in that many folks are either "liking to be liked" or following for some sort of hoped for financial gain.

:)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 16:06:42
Well @Leonard Scaper  I think your approach is probably the majority around the kitchen. Maybe? Or at least fairly common.  :) It seems most here aren't into having lots of followers. That's not a bad thing , heck, Jesus only had like 12 , right?  ;)   8)

It always looks like you have a lot on soundclick. You're a big shot over there!  :praise:

Yeah SoundCloud seems to be getting worse all the time, too. The people that follow without even listening to a single song. They follow tons of people, people follow back and then they unfollow everyone so they can feel like a rockstar.  :-[  I'm not playing that game with them.

The one thing is( for me at least) it feels a certain way when your song has 10 plays, different once it gets 100, different again when it gets 1000 ..... and when it hits 100,000 ... totally different! Not really pride ... at least I don't think so ... more like humility .... like why do all these people want to listen to this song? IDK does that make sense? Like each milestone makes me question if I belong at said milestone.  :-\ 

My world is slightly different in that NS is kind of like a "brand" maybe? So, I sort of feel some obligation to keeping the wheels turning, I guess.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:12:27
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:16:15
Well @Leonard Scaper  I think your approach is probably the majority around the kitchen. Maybe? Or at least fairly common.  :) It seems most here aren't into having lots of followers. That's not a bad thing , heck, Jesus only had like 12 , right?  ;)   8)

I like this one. And I like it a lot.
I used to say that in the pre internet times. He had 12 fans. Why would be be so vain to aim for more?

There are some people's chanels (yes, only if they smell nice) I have a subscription to/for. And of course my daughter's channel.

And Leonard is not a big shot on soundclick alone. I think he's a big shot here too. But let's not tell him. Let's keep it a secret.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 04:31:26
I'll tell you @LePlongeur  when you start your YouTube channel ... I'm totally subscribing!    :shinyteeth:

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:12:27
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:02:59
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:04:53 by LePlongeur »
I won't make a YouTube channel @Bill from November Sound
I'm in the winter of my career and I have a promising future behind me.
And I am very happy with all this.
With this Kitchen too.
And with the idea that someone/somebody with a 130.000 plus views wants to subscribe.
Jalan Kenangan (the road to your memory - more accessible: make beautiful memories) in case this Indonesian thing gets more important. Often, as it gets big in India, Indonesia follows.
But thank you anyway for the compliment.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 17:52:21
Your YouTube Channel doesn't have to be just music @LePlongeur. How about showing people how you translate? … or not really translate but write songs in several languages …. that is a valuable technique! Or I watch this video where a guy speaks all these different languages to people and surprises them in his travels. Or teach languages. Or how about cooking! ?  or bread making?  :shinyteeth:   I'll subscribe no matter.

I'll never be able to compare to Jesus. No one can.  :praise:

Therefore @Rewboat , @realkevm  and I are trying to get 1000 subscribers on our channels. Right guys?  :yes:

Ha, ha    ::Hoss::

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 01:51:08
Actually @realkevm   ... are you still doing your channel? You were real active before. Too busy with your new website?  ;)

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• November 29, 2020, 23:11:06
  • more
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 10:45:30
For other hobbies and for my dayjob I have several accounts at social media and www entirely running and I'm satisfied with them but I ever followed my personal rules for them.

I totally reject this consumerist attitude of society, especially the younger ones who find it too much to read a text of more than 10 sentences. but  demand the next contribution and the next and the next....short YT clips  hardly preferred.

I refuse to invest much time for such a group.
I like it very much when people get in contact with me and talk to me about what I have shown.

Everybody has to know how to spend their life time, on FB, Instagram and YT it is like that you have to deliver every day to not be immediately forgotten.  Most people have to make a fool of themselves to maintain a certain attention span  or need to invest hour for hours to deliver new content  daily for that reason.

Maybe we all know subconciously attention is the new currency!

I don't want to judge what everybody does, but here i agree with @1roomstudio .
Grow naturally (or just don't grow ) Let the things grow, and these means SLOW progress and don't run after your daily likes and subscribers.  Create or buy this kind of attention won't have consistence in  longer run  its just a short illusion.

Following each other is absolutely fine  if the other's content appeals to you in some way, it's a natural way to start a network and make 'real' connections. Interaction for sure is a key  here too.   You want action on your account? Then interact at other accounts as well. Indeed it goes from here.....If there is no progress with time with your amount of subscribers / followers/ likers then while you do updates from time to time .... probably, perhaps just probably, your content is just ' too regular' and redundant with a lot of others? 
Sorry, thats just my own experience.

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 21:17:10
Following each other is absolutely fine  if the other's content appeals to you in some way, it's a natural way to start a network and make 'real' connections. Interaction for sure is a key  here too.   You want action on your account? Then interact at other accounts as well. Indeed it goes from here.....If there is no progress with time with your amount of subscribers / followers/ likers then while you do updates from time to time .... probably, perhaps just probably, your content is just ' too regular' and redundant with a lot of others?
Sorry, thats just my own experience.

Ha, ha @Mo    I looked at the YT stats and someone literally unsubscribed when listening to my new song!  :D. How's that for progress?!?!    :blackgrin:
 ;D
Oh well.
I still like it!  :)

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:32:17
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 22:10:36
@Bill from November Sound 
catching up in this interesting thread. " NS is kind of like a "brand" maybe"
- what is NS?
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 22:13:26
ha ha  :lol:    I suppose if I had to tell you @oorlab ... it would ruin the mystery, wouldn't it?  ;)   :dance:

xx
Follow The Summer

Started by Wicked Deeds on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 00:24:06
by jmacdon
xx
Follow The Lighthouse Little Boy

Started by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 20:24:03
by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues
xx
Send me your links so I can listen and follow you!

Started by NoiseAlter on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:55:20
by Dutchbeat
xx
Please Follow Me on https://soundcloud.com/squier-tuck

Started by Philip_Rougier on Me

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 17:32:10
by Soul Putty
xx
thé soundcloud page where you can follow this fab kitchen collab