• Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:32:17
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: Subscribe or Follow?
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 22:26:29
Aha @Bill from November Sound  - you are doing a @Pleudoniem-riddle game here!
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 22:38:33
Oh @oorlab  I'm not nearly as clever as he.
Heck, I can't even figure out his profile name.  ;)
Mine, however, could be abbreviated as: B F N S.    ;D
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 22:52:18
@oorlab. Nah. My riddles are quite different. @Bill from November Sound has his own conundrums, ones that befit him. I am not clever, I am just a little peculiar, that's all  ;D

I don't follow any channels, but if I like them I will return every now and then to browse a couple of songs down.

NS, that is Nova Scotia, right? Number Seven? Nano Second? New Style? - hold on, let me guess...  :P
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 13:30:07
...For instance, one that I often return to is this one: https://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/?t=1593687936594 Even if I don't actively follow it.

But now that you mention it, if anyone knows a site that reviews music books, I'd be very interested. Just like @oorlab, I read a lot about music. I am not so much interested in artists in particular, but more in ideas, sociology, streams, and music psychology. I am not sure if there is any site for it in particular, but if you know one, please let me know. I am now reading 'The Relentess Pursuit of Tone', by Fink e.a. They have an approach to how techniques are used in a variety of music styles, many of which are eye openers to me.

@Bill from November Sound BFNS. Bill from November Sound. Ah yes, that must be what it stands for!  :yes: I was having a very strong cup of coffee this morning, and then all of a sudden it sprang to mind like a stone in the water.

No, I'm just teasing you here. I remember you did something like it some time ago with a -11, and that was puzzling too.

Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 13:47:25
Yes @Pleudoniem  my favorite on NPR Tiny Desk was BF. .... as in Ben Folds! Not Bill From .  :)

You might like Adam Neely re: music theory and music philosophy. He has 1.8 million subscribers so you wouldn't need to subscribe and make it 1.9 right?  :D
https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamNeely
... maybe give it a try?  ;) 

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 22:43:33
  • more
Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 20:30:22
i don't subscribe to youtube channels often..

but i can recommend a youtube channel from a band which's name abbreviates to NS.  :thumbsup:  @oorlab @Pleudoniem @Bill from November Sound   ;D ;D ;D :yes:
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 01:03:08
See I get the "grow organically" idea ..... but if no one knows who you are or where to find you ...  ???
The band spammer idea doesn't always seem to work ... either.
I came across a guy with 60k followers on twitter .... every post like check out my new video! Buy my song! Follow me here! Even the welcome DM saying all this and putting up all the links. I go to his youtube and most videos have less than 10 views ......     
I replied to his welcome message. "Hey there. Something's not adding up you have 60k followers here but your videos have less than 10 views. Maybe these spammy DMs are not really the best idea."
NS has all that youtube, spotify, twitter, facebook and everything but never have I sent a bandspammer indie welcome DM .... we don't spam people like that..... ya know we could follow each other .... we happily comment, subscribe, support for people who want to be friends.... IDK  .....  ???   ::)  ... I guess that's not organic enough?
Not spammy enough? Not indie enough?  :-\
Maybe it's wrong to do that?
I've made a lot of friends and met a lot of interesting people so it doesn't feel like it is wrong to me.

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 01:18:00
@Bill from November Sound There is some irony in what you are saying there and the song I am about to post within an hour.

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• November 29, 2020, 23:11:06
  • more
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:42
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:14:58 by Mo »
@Bill from November Sound

The question to me is, why you or we all so hard desire for followers ?  As an comfying replacement for a real audience?
You rather like more to play in front of 12 people  who relally there for you or playing in fromt of 200 who are there for free beer?

What sense it does to grow artifically sum of followers? Supporting our selfesteem?
I deeply believe
subscribe, support for people who want to be friends.... IDK  .....  ???   ::)  ... I guess that's not organic enough?

Thats organic enough! They will come to you, slow.... very slow.... but they'll come if you have something to offer.

Look, isn't it similar with the kitchen?
Who want answers just loosly and half hearted written by asomeone who only pass through without any honest attempt to stay here and keep himself busy with other ppl work? Just doing this effort to  get charged? No really interest in the others?
Look at the guest numbers and of those who subscribes here. How many are active in a sense it was thought for?  Great things happens here and a lot of fence viewer without any feedback just consume it! Do you want collect those ppl at your YT and twiiter and where else  too?

In my experience just fragmet ammounts of this  are same minded and such ppl i seek for. Letrs say 10-15% . Those are that ppl who are worth you do all your efforts and their reactions are gold. And yes if we speak in ammount of 100  running by then it means just 10. Thats all about this 10.
And this 10 will make GREAT sense!!!  So it is.

Who wants more? Want more money earning with it? Ok, then this doesn't work. But be prepared  it will end as it ever ends struggling with all and with yourself  most while walking on the small border line.

Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 14:30:35
@Mo @Bill from November Sound The irony only gets better :) Really, I had no idea which way this discussion was going when I was writing the lyric  :)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:12:27
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 14:52:23
@Leonard Scaper talked about Carole King somewhere on this dear forum.
@Bill from November Sound :

Artiest: The Byrds
Album: The Notorious Byrd Brothers
Uitgebracht op: 1968
Songwriters: Gerry Goffin, Carole King
Opgenomen: 30 november 1967
I wasn’t born to follow

I have even been looking for the song called ‘I wasn’t born to subscribe’. A far as I know there isn’t any (hint hint!!!). So, I follow Carole and subscribe only.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 15:55:38
How will 10 people know to listen to your song? I wonder @Mo  .....  ??? 
When I see someone with only 10 plays on the video to me that means self, spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, cousin and 1 friend ....   ha,ha wait does that add up to 10?  :) 

If one plays for 200 people there for free beer then 12 of the 100 may possibly see past the beer and start being the audience of 12. I mean how else do you get 12 people who are not your immediate family? 

If you have 10 views and you just leave the video there, never make a single friend, never listen to anyone's music,  never put a comment, never write a kitchen review, never subscribe to anyone, never mention it at a gig, never react to any comments recieved, never thank anyone and then return to check the video 5 years later..... it'll probably still have 10 views.  :(

Also, I generally play for people who drink wine and they don't expect stuff for free! :D ;D 

I know @LePlongeur drinks wine. He's a class act!  :yes:

@LePlongeur you subscribe to people who have passed away? Is this even possible? .... I suppose no worries about notifications in your inbox about new content being posted. But if that does happen then you have different problems.  ;)

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 16:00:43
I guess that's not organic enough?
Maybe it's wrong to do that?I've made a lot of friends and met a lot of interesting people so it doesn't feel like it is wrong to me.

I think that the real organic approach is to write good songs and get seriously good at performing and producing them.

There's a famous Kevin Costner quote from a movie that goes something like....."If you build it, they will come."  ;)

If you're good people will come back for more listens and look for your material. NS is that good.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 16:38:39
Thanks @Leonard Scaper   :ok:
You have the attitude of giving to others and you have the high quality music!
I feel as though people could learn from that.

Anyway

I don't mean for this thread to be personal.  (...came about because of some stuff in our life, of course)

Just some questions, really

More so that people may think about  ...

if they subscribe or follow others
If others subscribe or follow them
If those two things can be related
If they've come across people who are legit good but have scary few views or plays
If they've come across super ego spammers who still might not be all that good or even have many plays

Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 17:38:29
I guess that's not organic enough?
Maybe it's wrong to do that?I've made a lot of friends and met a lot of interesting people so it doesn't feel like it is wrong to me.

I think that the real organic approach is to write good songs and get seriously good at performing and producing them.

There's a famous Kevin Costner quote from a movie that goes something like....."If you build it, they will come."  ;)

If you're good people will come back for more listens and look for your material. NS is that good.

8)

I'm not so sure. If that was the case, there would be a much larger audience for virtuosos. Also, what we think of as good now may be considered corny in 30 years. The word 'good' is too unspecific.

I think it is all whether it appeals to specific instincts, which are often social. I go for Jaco Patorius, as his superb skill has me baffled. That appeals to me, and I am hoping that I will find people that I can share this with. Students of mine often choose for artists that their friends choose for, even if it may be unbelievably out of tune. Don't even bother telling them, because they will not believe you and claim you're just old in defence. Good is often what you agree is good or shared among your peers.

Yes, I also listened to plastic popsongs when I was 16, thinking that it was good music. My friends did this, it was played on the radio. Pink Floyd and King Crimson already existed, but I didn't think it was good music. I smile at the thought now and quickly change the subject.

xx
Follow The Summer

Started by Wicked Deeds on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 00:24:06
by jmacdon
xx
Follow The Lighthouse Little Boy

Started by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 20:24:03
by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues
xx
Send me your links so I can listen and follow you!

Started by NoiseAlter on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:55:20
by Dutchbeat
xx
Please Follow Me on https://soundcloud.com/squier-tuck

Started by Philip_Rougier on Me

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 17:32:10
by Soul Putty
xx
thé soundcloud page where you can follow this fab kitchen collab