• Subscribe or Follow?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Re: Subscribe or Follow?
Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 22:54:28
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 22:56:56 by Zedd »
Thanks for the shout out @LePlongeur - what a lovely suprise..

I've not read the entire thread just the last few responses but FWIW I do think that it's important for the poster to indicate what feedback they're looking for as you suggest, Gus.. So for example when I post, I'm looking for constructive criticism - and yes, not sugar coated, because I post with the hope to improve what I've just produced.. But others, as you note, don't necessarily want the same thing.. I'mok with overt criticism.. I can take it.. And I have learned SO much from such posting and advice and have so much more yet to learn..

I think this might be off topic from the original post.. just going with the flow :)

K

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22:45
I hope @Zedd , that you won't go with the flow, because that is what dead fish do. And I am convinced I'm not the only one who wants to keep you here, nice and warm.

But yes, you extracted to core out of my rant and rave, and I'm glad you did.
Getting advice when you don't have need for that is not really a big deal, but wanting professional support and getting too sweet encouraging will result in the opposite.

And that's bad news for both the Kitcheners and the Kitchen.
I am very grateful for your post.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #47 on: July 14, 2020, 16:04:25
This thread is going all over the place  :blackgrin:   ;D   

So I know as kitchen members and staff we try to invite people who follow more than they are followed. Am I saying that right @Dutchbeat  ?

People who have the spirit of giving.   :praise:

In my own experience you get to a certain point and you just get "overwhelmed" or maybe "overtaken" by the number of followers vs following. I mean I actually go through the list of people we have subscribed to on YT and check if they put up something new. I go through the list of people we are following on SC and check if they have anything new ..... it's getting more difficult ..... I can't follow everyone back.
(That being said if you're a fellow kitchenaut send us a DM and we absolutely will follow back)
If someone just follows without even listening to a song I don't even bother.

I try to check for new material and of course there are some who I favorite I guess. We all probably do that. I mean I try not to ever miss a new @Dakoda  or @DanJames  song!  :thumbsup:   :)  Good quality productions! 
Then there's @MichaelA  .... he writes all kinds of cool stuff ... but he's pretty sneaky posting his songs in the middle of night and everything so I miss them!
One can always spend a good amount of time just listening on @shatiks  YT channel or his SoundCloud page.   
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 01:38:45
  • more
Reply #48 on: July 21, 2020, 10:42:18
I think, @1roomstudio nailed the point and does a perfect summary about how this single topics may connect with another. Thank you for structure it like that.
This comment let me think a while about a possible answer :

These four quotes also beg the question “Why are you writing and producing Music?” At the very least you want to Share and most likely you also want Feedback. Beyond that you may want Recognition, perhaps even Fame and Fortune.

Of course I just can speak for my own and the answers seemes clear: I have no idea!!
At the moment it seemes me just do it for personal pleasurement,  just because its a nice thing to doright now . But thats sooo fragile..means Its  satisfying at on hand at the other  it rather don't make  sense . If  I go on is a day to day decision and songs just startet sponatnously IF they start. If I would start with long intention I would get the impression its a waste of time, because once this would be done its over and out. Next one please....

I would like to know, why everybody of you producing music,  still producing/ creating music? Some of you have been doing it a lot of years, why you still doing that?

@Leonard Scaper already answered this question particullary, what is about you @1roomstudio, @Dutchbeat, @Dakoda, @Bill from November Sound, @M57, @Mar T., @Mora Amaro La Loba, @Pleudoniem, @LePlongeur, @rightly, @MrBouzouki, @budhabuilding, @TVvoodoo, @Tolo, @oorlab, @DanJames@MotterPaul,@Zedd and all others please :)?

• Tolo
  • Poissonier

• Yesterday at 07:38:32
    • Johannesburg
  • more
Reply #49 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:02
Hey Mo... For myself it is my antidote to regular life - to come into the studio and create something that takes me to somewhere different for a while is what keeps me sane... Of course - the longer I do it - the better I get at it from a technical point of view, and, as long as there is creative energy and inspiration in my world to keep writing new tunes - then I will keep doing so. I also still have the completely misguided notion that one day someone will pick up on one of my recordings and put it in a movie - which would be my pinnacle...

Best to all,

Tony
Pro Tools 2020.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Furman AC210E
10.13 High Sierra
SSD Thunderbolt Audio
i9 7900 10 Core
64G Crucial DDR4

www.tonylowther.com

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #50 on: July 21, 2020, 19:34:20
Well @Leonard Scaper  I think your approach is probably the majority around the kitchen. Maybe? Or at least fairly common.  :) It seems most here aren't into having lots of followers. That's not a bad thing , heck, Jesus only had like 12 , right?  ;)   8)

I like this one. And I like it a lot.
I used to say that in the pre internet times. He had 12 fans. Why would be be so vain to aim for more?

There are some people's chanels (yes, only if they smell nice) I have a subscription to/for. And of course my daughter's channel.

And Leonard is not a big shot on soundclick alone. I think he's a big shot here too. But let's not tell him. Let's keep it a secret.
Kind regards, Gus

I think @Mo , that I answered @Bill 's question.
I've a subscription for or to some YouTube Cannels. When the talks or music challenge or entertain me in some particular way.
And to my daughter's YouTube Channel of course.

I don't 'follow' people. So, in all modesty, I think I answered the question.
Ein bischen kitschig vielleicht? But no matter, I answered it.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #51 on: July 21, 2020, 23:56:42

Just a thought. I would hate to see people leave because they think it's all a bit too vanilla.
(As in Nice and Sweet and sticky...)
And I'm afraid that this is happening right now.

Well ... @LePlongeur I had no idea that my observation would stumble into this discussion.

I find the “sweetness” here to be refreshing... but... agreed; a bit more chocolate, or Spumoni from time to time would encourage me to post more music for review (unless of course you’ve all had enough of me!)

I can tell you that in the other forum they’ve managed to develop a culture that is encouraging, polite and respectful, (good Mods!) while at the same time full of rough and tumble constructive criticism.  It’s a very wacky eclectic box of boys and girls that produces the gamut... from noise to Masterpieces. 😎

Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 00:28:57
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 00:34:06 by 1roomstudio »
I would like to know, why everybody of you producing music,  still producing/ creating music? Some of you have been doing it a lot of years, why you still doing that?

You may have opened the flood gates @Mo !  I can tell you that I identify completely with @Tolo in this regard; but it took a lot of years to get to that stage.

My start in music was about the fascination of “how does it work.” How is it possible that mere notes and rhythms can move people to an intense emotional response?

After years of studying Theory, History, various genres, styles, cultures, as well as writing and performing .... I slowly developed this theoretical answer to that question: Music is Storytelling.... Every instrument is a voice and every voice has something to say in support of the Story; even when there are no lyrics. When you listen to the voices... it’s the Story that moves you.

At this point in my life I have two goals: first to continue improving my Storytelling, and Produce those Stories and the ones I’ve kept from the past, into something tangible. For so many years it’s all just been in my head, on random sheets of paper and in the memories of the handful of people that have listened.

It was less than ten years ago that I started answering “l’m a Musician”  when people asked “so... what do you do?”

Thank you for asking! 😎

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 06:18:54
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:20:31 by LePlongeur »

I have given this some thought. And I truly don't know.
Started when I was three years old. Without my parents' say so. Happened with my kids too. The youngest also at three.
I happily dreamed and played along until my 11th  or so, when a famous painter told me that it was high time to get serious and get to work. And that I would be fine if I did.
Up untill that moment, it never occurred to me that it was special. It was part of my everyday live. And it stayed part of my my live but then my looking at things I made slowly changed.  Got a purpose or some such thing.

Put the whole idea on the back burner when our kids were little. But ever since they left the nest I picked it all up again. And, still not knowing why, I get up at 5.30 or 6 in the morning for my 1 or 1.5 hour of writing. And at 6 in the evening the same routine. 1,5 hour of writing. And the only explanation I can give is that I like it that way.

It really IS a difficult question @Mo but one that gives me a lot of nice thinking about. Not as important as 'Why do I breathe',  but I would find it difficult to go without.
Even in Dutch, it's a different language. I love doing it. That's all.
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 09:23:41
I love you for your answers @Tolo @1roomstudio @LePlongeur

And i'm glad i did ask you
Thank you!! :)

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:51:23
  • more
Reply #55 on: July 22, 2020, 16:33:49
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 16:36:00 by Dutchbeat »
@Mo, nowadays i make music just because i like doing it so much, it is a relaxing hobby. Just like @leplonguer and @Tolo i wouldn't want to live without it.  Contrary to @LePlongeur i also like the tweaking and working for some longer time on one track, because i think that part is fun also. It may be a bit pointless to spend a lot of time on one track...but i enjoy it.

when i compare songwriting to many other hobbies, i think songwriting for me clearly works better than....for instance going to a bar and playing darts....It seems to me....making a music track has so many aspects that it keeps being fun to do

as to @plongeurs remarks about reviews....we could perhaps come up with a system in which one could check options in the songs for review section what specific points or parts one wants feedback on?.....or whether one just wants to post the song for fun and for others to have a listen to it ? I think @Mar T. or @Bill from November Sound had some ideas like that in the past....perhaps we could try that?
or try an extra board for tracks that are just meant for getting listened to without asking for feedback... a... no comments but just listen if you have the time section?

personally, i appreciate all comments and feedback, and also just the idea that someone listened to it....by the time i post a track i do want to hear what is not good and could be improved, but in practice i have been tweaking the song to the level that i am often also ready to get started on a new track.... :P :-[ :-[

but placing a track in the songs for review section sort of gives a feeling of...setting that track free  ;D ;D ;D ...from further tweaking and manipulating the sounds, at least for a while, and for just getting it 'out there' in this nice community of fellow Kitchen songwriters

me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 26, 2020, 18:41:52
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #56 on: July 23, 2020, 18:23:36
For my part it's all about "Connections". I have that as a sort of tag line and that's because I believe it to be true.

Since the human race mostly communicates via sound, it is an integral part of who we are. From your earliest noises as a baby to your last gasp of air, we are always talking, to tell people what we think, what we feel, how we are. It isn't surprising to me that we have developed rhythmic, verbal and musical ways to express ourselves. It's all about getting the message across.

For all the people who like what you say, what you feel, how you think, there are others who don't care or who actively dislike it. So music becomes a prism through which we connect with others, being part of the same clan so to speak. 

As songwriters we have taken this urge to communicate to the next level, using musical inspired ideas to get in touch with others. Some do it with a view to making a living, others simply because the compulsion to create cannot be denied.

So I tend to like and follow and comment on things I like and don't get caught up with the like for like, follow for follow attitude. Something must have caught my ear or I want to encourage others who have good ideas but perhaps not the skill-set (yet) to deliver it.

It's all about saying "I get you" ... "I connect with your joy or pain or spirit" ... "I understand where you are coming from"; often because it resonates with your own life experiences or feelings.

It's all about connections, it really is. :-)
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #57 on: July 23, 2020, 18:54:36
Well said @MrBouzouki

.... Something must have caught my ear or I want to encourage others who have good ideas but perhaps not the skill-set (yet) to deliver it.

It's all about saying "I get you" ... "I connect with your joy or pain or spirit" ... "I understand where you are coming from"; often because it resonates with your own life experiences or feelings.

Yes!

:thumbsup:

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #58 on: July 25, 2020, 12:47:38
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 13:02:19 by Mo »
@Dutchbeat  I remember we already had some interesting PM discussions about how easy is to loss mojo and  certain reasons to go on though. As far i see, main attitude may similar with the kitcheneers more or less.

I think its always fantastic to move on with ideas that support the whole kitchen community and so the individum as well. So i look forward what @Mar T.  and @Bill from November Sound  maybe are planning  :D :ok:

or try an extra board for tracks that are just meant for getting listened to without asking for feedback... a... no comments but just listen if you have the time section?
I just thought to myself that another board could be contra productive maybe as the daily actually of the review board would suffer then. and renaming a board wouldn't change a lot.

Meanwhile I've been in the kitchen I got the vision of something else that probably wold fun and supporting fact also.  Remembering an leaning at the event that @Bill from November Sound  and @budhabuilding  already tried to figure out, as it was a jamming via zoom. And the summits you already organized @Dutchbeat.
The idea behind is great, as it brings an other aspect working together for a certain goal like spread (our) music and fun with it around and share with another. Of course sharing with other ( not just with other songwriters) could be interesting too.

Of couse I'm concious about the current problems of joining physically as it is/ was normal for musicians. So it may appearantly a solution to continue create some digital  event for that. A digital open mic.... a digital concert.... or whatever...  Maybe just doing it live, as it means doing a playlist for a certain time at youtube or soundcloud, so that ppl who are NOT just songwriters  but want hear and join this event have to be there at a certain time.
This digital event could be  promoted in different social channels, everybody attendee promote the same event then instead just promote hisself., or  his lonley single song. For sure this would need time to evolve a bit  but in my visions this  will work after a while, when ppl  ( any music lovers) would realize there is going on something and maybe special.  Because sharing passion and love to music is special and within a group it would be much stronger than alone.
 I consider some Non-Songwriters  would love to get a part of that too, in kind of beeing there, interacting maybe personally with the actors. ( within that  given time frame) ..
Just my 2 cent even physically money will run out soon.

xx
Follow The Summer

Started by Wicked Deeds on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 00:24:06
by jmacdon
xx
Follow The Lighthouse Little Boy

Started by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 20:24:03
by Tiago.Mendes.Rodrigues
xx
Send me your links so I can listen and follow you!

Started by NoiseAlter on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:55:20
by Dutchbeat
xx
Please Follow Me on https://soundcloud.com/squier-tuck

Started by Philip_Rougier on Me

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 17:32:10
by Soul Putty
xx
thé soundcloud page where you can follow this fab kitchen collab