• Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 02, 2020, 00:14:09
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
The Pilgrims Way - Project Update
on: November 14, 2020, 19:39:19
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 00:15:33 by MrBouzouki »
I feel a bit sad, but also excited to announce the titles of last two tracks of 'The Pilgrims Way Project'.

A project quite dear to me and as I said at the time in my description on the eponymous opening track from 2018 :-

Thanks to @redmando, @Leonard Scaper and the Songwriters in the Kitchen Forum for the spark

It encompasses a journey in musicianship, developing technical prowess, instrumental story-telling and a nod to a departed friend. Lots of positive stuff. I thought I might never get to the end of it.

Well I haven't yet of course, but somehow deciding on the names of the last two tracks seems like I'm getting closer to my goal of releasing an album of instrumental music that tries to capture the spirit of the place.

Anyway, track Nine will be entitled "High on the Heugh"

What is the Heugh ? It's a spine of igneous rock that has resisted the last ice age. The viewpoint that all the tourists ascend to see the Island.

It has a lighthouse of course, and you can see the Benedictine Priory below, and you can see the sea. It is also where the old Irish monks might well have built their church. I know archaeology has been done there.

Well this viewpoint will hopefully act as a window into the past and also reflect the changing seasons. As such I'm hoping  it could be a pot-pourri of music embellishing the main theme, maybe starting on guitar, include a nod to the Irish monks, maybe the Vikings, the seasonal changes, the herring fishing industry in the form of a sea shanty bit, all underpinned by the sea.

I'm really looking forward to trying a sea-shanty bit to reflect the fishing community ... morphing the track into perhaps a concertina-based section.

As the penultimate track of my Lindisfarne saga, it touches on many of the elements that have gone before.

Most importantly I have a melody ... the key that unlocks the door in all these endeavours :-)

Finally Track 10 has the title "Causeway Dreams"

The listener came in on the old Pilgrims Way over the sands and now leaves by the road causeway, the link to the UK mainland.
It is covered over with the tides and featuring what the locals call "The Idiot Box" for those drivers who think they can drive through water.
Not quite the 'Darwin Awards' but heading that way. I'm sure the local lifeguards just love them ;-)

For this I want to get a finality to the set of tunes, a hint of Northumbria with the sound of the Northumbrian Smallpipes in the distance.
I also want to try and compare the ebb and flow of the visitors with the ebb and flow of the tides.

Early days for that one but by posting this up I've fixed the title now. I just thought it was a fitting title to round things off :-)

"Love and Life is all about connections"