• smajor
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• August 05, 2019, 23:20:42
    • Kingman, Arizona USA
  • more
Thoughts on long-distance songwriting collaboration
on: December 12, 2017, 20:56:19
Posted this on my FB timeline... thought  I'd post it here too :)

I've managed to provide lyrics for sixteen songs this year. I started in June of 2016, after a six year hiatus, to try to find music writers to  work with. I contacted people on Bandmix, Reverbnation, SongwriterLink, SoundCloud, and Songwriters In The Kitchen. I also posted my lyrics to two online collaboration sites: ProCollabs.com and Kompoz.com. All told I've interacted with over a thousand people in the last nineteen months.

At the same time I sent lyrics to folks I'd worked with before as well as seek out local talent.

I had some large obstacles standing in the path to my success. I only write the words, I don't sing, I don't have the means to produce recordings, I don't have any money to spare for what is, essentially, a hobby although I approach it as a profession, and try to meet professional standards. I've taken a hard road to easy street.

It took eight months for my efforts to begin to pay off. In January seven of my lyrics were used by the Songwriters In The Kitchen forum as the basis for a songwriting competition. Five songs I regard as keepers were a result. Since then more songs have been added to the list.

What has been interesting to see (and speculate about) is that although, for a variety of reasons, I focused my efforts on finding music writers in the U.S. most of the writers I worked with this year came from other countries. And the writers in the U.S. I've found live in north-eastern states.

Here's the list of countries and the number of collaborators from each one: Australia (2), Italy (1), Japan (1), Netherlands (2), Russia (1), U.K. (2), and the U.S.A. (2).

Now, near the beginning of a new year, I feel that I've made some connections that will bear fruit. I'm also continuing to explore new avenues including putting more effort into finding music writers from other countries. I'm feeling optimistic for 2018.
I'm a lyricist seeking music writers to work with.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: Thoughts on long-distance songwriting collaboration
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:04
That's a very interesting story @smajor. The internet has been very enabling for you, but all credit to you also for being proactive in channelling this digital opportunity to your advantage, and in a unique way. You saw the opportunity - and went for it!

Good luck with more collaborations down the line.  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• smajor
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• August 05, 2019, 23:20:42
    • Kingman, Arizona USA
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 15:08:29
Hi @MichaelA,

Thanks Michael.

The Internet has been a huge boon for a lot of people. I hope it will continue to be. The U.S., however, may shut the door on a lot of free-flowing creativity. I'll find a way to deal with it, whatever happens. And, whatever happens, I'll keep writing.

Later,
Stan

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 18:18:41
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 17:02:14
whatever happens, I'll keep writing.

::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 23:48:15
Great post @smajor ! Wishing you the best! Sharing your music with the world is so important!

I sometimes think that with the artistic and creative lyrics that @smajor creates they may, honestly, find more appeal on a world stage. (..... I only have my experience with local music scene and the obsession with horrible Lynyrd Skynyrd covers to go by here... ;).....)

It is very cool to collaborate with people around the world - especially if that means new people will hear your art. It has changed my life for sure.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

xx
Long Distance Friends

Started by Matu Tiemersma on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 13:41:04
by Leonard Scaper
xx
Artificial intelligence & songwriting (Nick Cave's thoughts)

Started by DonMar on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2019, 13:53:14
by Vince
xx
Eyes In The Distance

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 02:01:05
by Leonard Scaper
xx
OK (Distance) - Lauder