• Tutorials
  • Started by habiTat
Tutorials
on: January 04, 2014, 22:38:58
Just a thought but maybe we could start a tutorials section, those of us who know a thing or two about certain aspects of recording/production etc (eg Fisch could show us how he records acoustic guitar or Paul could explain the more in depth methods for instrumental music), People could volunteer to write/record a lesson for the rest of us to read/watch and learn from. I know there is plenty for me to still learn :)

What do you think?

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
Re: Tutorials
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 23:01:03
Hi Habitat,

I like the sound of that. Production tips would be great. Perhaps gear reviews or demonstrations. e.g. i'm considering getting a pre-amp for my mic. I've no idea if it would be beneficial, but if someone within the forum uses them a vid would give some idea of their use.

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 23:38:00
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 23:40:08 by Wicked Deeds »
Just a thought but maybe we could start a tutorials section, those of us who know a thing or two about certain aspects of recording/production etc (eg Fisch could show us how he records acoustic guitar or Paul could explain the more in depth methods for instrumental music), People could volunteer to write/record a lesson for the rest of us to read/watch and learn from. I know there is plenty for me to still learn :)

What do you think?

Well John, I'm flattered that you think I have something to teach!  :)

I'm going to produce for Dutch soon.  I could give you a blow by blow account of how I arrive at his finished production. I would say however, that each production differs for me.  Much of what I do is very instinctive - I don't think it can be taught.  For example, if I'm presented with a guitar/vocal, the rhythm of the guitar and voice will suggest production ideas.  Once I get the ball rolling with for example a new guitar riff, I'll often lose the original rhythm and add further parts on other instruments that compliment my new guitar part. Each new instrument that I add then influences whatever I do next, as each new part suggests another.  I'd say that panning plays a huge part in the success of a piece of music as a production can easily become cluttered without the correct approach. A little understanding of musical theory can help but mainly, I instinctively rely on my ability to express ideas that a piece of music that I am listening to evokes.  I know that  we all do this.  I think that we all develop this ability over many years as we listen to different kinds  of music.  When producing, I might play a serious of quick staccato notes  but then, I remind myself to play something that contrasts, e.g perhaps fewer notes in a slow legato style.  I often use VST's and quickly become aware that certain instruments demand to be played in a certain way - it's all experimentation for me.  Anyway, I'd be happy to talk about The production that I tackle for Dutch - I won't really know what approach I adopt until I sit down to tackle his song.  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 07:49:52
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:28
Hi Habi (and Wicked),

i think it is a good idea, we all have developed some little things / ideas we use often when recording, songwriting and mixing, and whether they really work or not we can share and discuss these....and at the same time share the steps you are taking mixing my track...but a post where we discuss recording, songwriting and mixing tips....especially the little concrete things we do, little things...
me, myself, and Pie

xx
Video Tutorials

Started by denovo on Songwriting Ingredients

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 18:06:09
by denovo
xx
Mixing/Recording Tutorials - Any Suggestions?

Started by IsleofSkye on Songwriting Ingredients

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 23:48:35
by MrBouzouki