• JUXTA
  • Patissier
  • I just wanna sing!

• August 28, 2016, 20:20:03
    • Horsham, UK
  • more
Upload format for Soundcloud
on: July 21, 2016, 18:25:46
Curious to know what format people use when uploading to Soundcloud and the reasons behind their decision?

I was uploading iTunes Plus format (256kb) but I just noticed "uncompressed" as an output option in Garageband (how the hell did I miss that!!!).
So should I upload uncompressed files to give people the best possible listening experience?
Do people use a lower quality format for Soundclpud and then try and get people to buy/stream the uncompressed version on other services?

I did have a quick search to see if these questions had been asked before but I couldn't find anything (but then again I only just spotted "uncompressed" so that tells you how good I am at looking eh!).
https://soundcloud.com/juxtamusic

Genre agnostic singer / songwriter / guitarist.

One minute I'm screaming a heavy metal falsetto and the next I'm being as subtle as a purring pussy cat.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:09:18
  • more
Re: Upload format for Soundcloud
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 18:50:53
Hi Juxta, I am not the best to answer technical questions like this...

but....since I have an opinion on everything anyway...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I usually just upload a mp-3 on soundcloud, but I compress it beforehand to make it sound like I think sounds best
I try to stay within volume limits while rendering my (compressed) final mix to an mp-3
because I think that else a site like Soundcloud will do some compression for you if there are extreme peaks in volume
I can understand that, and I think SC does that

so I rather like to compress it myself, making the mix loud but at the same time make it fit within borders
that way it sounds pretty much the same after the track has uploaded on Soundcloud

but I wonder what the tech guys and galls out here say about this???.......good question  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• November 06, 2019, 12:28:21
  • more
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 21:59:13
https://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php

Main points:
- At the time of this writing, SoundCloud converts all uploads to 128kbps Mp3 format for streaming purposes.
- Export your mixes in a lossless format such as *.WAV or *.AIF. If you export to a lossy format such as Mp3 from the start, then SoundCloud will be re-encoding from one lossy format to another (this is called "transcoding" and it degrades the quality even further).

Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:09:18
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 23:23:27
so WAV is better
thanks @ Jambrains  ::thumb:: ::thumb::

is compression performed when a track is too loud when you upload it to soundcloud

or does it sound the same (too loud)  ??? ???

• JUXTA
  • Patissier
  • I just wanna sing!

• August 28, 2016, 20:20:03
    • Horsham, UK
  • more
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:52
Thanks for that Jambrains. Very useful :-) Sent you some of the ethereal karma stuff :-P