• What do you do?
  • Started by habiTat
What do you do?
on: January 06, 2014, 16:14:46
If we are going to get to know each other, it'd be nice to know what each other does for a job.

I drill boreholes and take soil samples for subsidence investigation. It can be interesting but can also get really busy, or really quiet, depending on the seasons ie. dry weather=dry ground=cracked houses.

What do you do?

Re: What do you do?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 16:44:39

Hi Hab,

I'm retired ;D ;D  It sounds better than it is ;D  I'm actually busier now than I ever was when I worked.  I've always been self
   employed, and used to have an Antique Restoration business....so only worked when I had to ;D ;D 

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:34:48
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 18:36:42
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 18:39:12 by it must be me, Dutchbeat? »
i am in forensic psychology

booming business, i can tell you  ;D ;D
me, myself, and Pie

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 20:57:06
I work for a firm of solicitors ( yes we do personal injury cases :)). I have the pleasure of driving all over the country visiting clients in their homes. Good points - i get to listen to loads of music whilst driving. Bad - I work in London every second week - and i can't abide the place. I'm sure it was put on Earth to torture motorists.

• fischermans
  • Sous Chef
  • I'm always working on the big picture

• October 29, 2016, 08:52:39
    • Eynatten Belgium
    • https://www.facebook.com/Alexander.Fisch.Songwriter https://soundcloud.com/fischermans100
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 21:21:27
I?m my own chief in my cafe in a hospital. Can play guitar when I want. ;D ;D ;D

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 22:16:30
Well, it looks like I'm pretty much the benjamin of the forum, so it should come to no surprise that I'm still a student ;)

I've mastered in Communication Sciences (Journalism) and now I'm studying Radio (yes, there's an education for that :p )
I also volunteer at the city radio, where I do regional news bulletins and a Sunday afternoon show.

Not really earning a lot of money, as you can guess, haha.

S
Journalist by day, singer-songwriter at night

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 22:25:43
I do aerial photography all over europe.
It's fun at times but leaves very little time for making music. (Shockingly, most hotel rooms these days are still not equipped with a proper recording studio  :D)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 17:53:29
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 18:03:11 by it must be me, Dutchbeat? »
this is cool..
drilling
journalism
antique
running a cafe in a hospital
aerial photography

oh and, Michael??? this may be a stupid question, but my guess is  ;D ;D ;D ;D that you have to fly a lot for your job  ;D ;D ;D
for aerial photography
for some reason  ;D

noadays, i take my studio with me, it fits in one laptopbag, reaper on the laptop, a little roland quadcapture, a hard disc with all the projects and sounds and samples, and even a condenser microphone and a tiny midi keyboard (it is tiny!)

all fits in one laptop bag, i have a 100+ of tracks hard disc recording studio with me in my hotel room

oh, and don't forget to bring a headset, i did that, and then all of that is useless  ;D ;D ;D

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 18:43:14
this is cool..
drilling
journalism
antique
running a cafe in a hospital
aerial photography

oh and, Michael??? this may be a stupid question, but my guess is  ;D ;D ;D ;D that you have to fly a lot for your job  ;D ;D ;D
for aerial photography
for some reason  ;D

noadays, i take my studio with me, it fits in one laptopbag, reaper on the laptop, a little roland quadcapture, a hard disc with all the projects and sounds and samples, and even a condenser microphone and a tiny midi keyboard (it is tiny!)

all fits in one laptop bag, i have a 100+ of tracks hard disc recording studio with me in my hotel room

oh, and don't forget to bring a headset, i did that, and then all of that is useless  ;D ;D ;D

yeah the flying IS the job  ;D

Could you do me one huge favour DB and maybe take a picture of that setup and upload it here or in the gear section or something? Cause such a portable studio sounds amazing !!
Though I'm more a guitar guy and there's no way I can fit that in the laptop bag as well  :D

It's cool though, we pretty much seem to have one of everything so far - I wonder if there's any profession or demographic that is more prone to songwriting than others?

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 18:55:21
i will post a picture
two pictures, that is...
one of my laptop bag, just a packed bag, and one with my full studio set up in a hotelroom

btw, that condenser microphone has a stand on the road too (Which is folded up in the laptop bag as well)
and it has phantom power on it (from the Roland Quad capture)
it is all there  ;D

about our jobs, they are all very different, but what would a typical job for a songwriter be???

• Kafla
  • Rotisseur

• March 22, 2016, 11:40:00
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 19:22:03
Wow cool jobs ???

I am a Chartered Financial Planner - I have my own company with my mate

We work mainly with lawyers and accountants creating trusts and managing assets to avoid tax

It's an awesome job that allows me to have a lot of flexibility in my diary ( sometimes   8) ) I think I would be unemployable now in a corporation  :o

I love the antique restorer Bin - I  have bought loads of art over the years - until about a year ago I was proud of my Rolf Harris original canvas collection - oops

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 19:39:54

Hehe Kaf ;D ;D  Don't worry mate.....I'm sure their value will increase.  He might be a 'pervert'....but he is a bloody
  good artist.  And he wouldn't be the only artist to have a 'chequered' past....Do you remember his version of Stairway to
  Heaven. ??  Should have been arrested for that IMO ;D ;D ;D

• Wicked Deeds

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 20:22:05
I work in drugs/alcohol awareness, helping people with their recovery from substance misuse.  I feel priveleged to be able to make a positive contribution to the lives of people in need.  It's a recent change for me as I have been working with children with both speech and language difficulties and also very challenging behaviour.

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 21:17:54
You all have great jobs and mine is rubbish.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 21:27:34
are you crazy digger? it is cool, we should swap jobs

in the first place, we are songwriters
if we could live from it we would be full time

just that, i guess  8) 8) 8)

this is thread about what do we do when we are not making music  ;D ;D ;D

any others....??
Stylus?