• Started by GTB
  • GTB
  • Rotisseur

• May 20, 2020, 18:33:57
    • midlands uk
  • more
1998 - Always The Same Answer
on: March 07, 2020, 17:35:23
Phew! I have just recorded the last song for my "Rock n Roll Years" album/project.  One song for every year since 1945 - it has taken over 5 years.  Still improving/mixing/embellishing them but the pressure feels well and truly off!

Here is 1998 - Always the same Answer - featuring Tricia on vocals

https://soundcloud.com/gtbr/1998-always-the-same-answer-07032020-1608

Was a bitter sweet deal on a Friday, back in nineteen ninety eight
Said a prayer for the people on Saturday, victims of hate
Hurricane Mitch in Central America
Killing time in Jonesbro

Prechorus:
Al..ways the same question, al..ways the same answer

Chorus   
Run me out, I got road rage
Entering a world of pain
I canít tolerate this, I think Iím paranoid
Not my favourite game
Run me out, wide open spaces
Run me out, al..ways the same answer ..

Who are we? Where do we come from?   Where are we going?
Catch you at a bad time? Enemy of the state
You never had a camera in my head
Youíre children will be next

Prechorus & chorus

Bridge (intro + Ĺ verse)
No surprises, pretty fly
  You get what you give

Prechorus
So give it to me baby, Mr president, al..ways the same answer

Chorus
valar morghulis
GTB

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:26:55
  • more
Re: 1998 - Always The Same Answer
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 18:02:30
Hi @GTB nice music!  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::
very nice song

btw, just curious....why does your huge project called the "Rock and Roll"  years run from 1945 to 1998? Does it end in 1998 because that was the year Rock and Roll finally died?  ;D ;D ;D And if so...., who or what killed it?  :o :o :o

and just wondering.....you have written a song for each year from 1945 till 1998, how long is the total duration of the album... ;D ;D ;D

congratulations on finishing this project  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
me, myself, and Pie

• GTB
  • Rotisseur

• midlands uk
  • more
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 18:15:57
Hi Dutchbeat, hope you are well.
Theoretically the project goes from 1945 to current year but the latest song in the set  so far is 2106.  I found that some important characteristics of certain years only became relevant when viewed through history - i.e. after a few years passed.  2016 was very obvious, I think everyone was aware that history was being made that year.  Other years need to fall more into context before I commit the to a recording.  The 1999 song does allude to the question of whether rock n roll has died tho.  Btw, the 'start' of rock n roll is a source of much debate so I chose 1945 quite arbitrarily :-)
I haven't timed all the songs but on a single album it would be a record 75 songs, so far, so would take some time to listen through.  I'm currently replacing all those with my vocals with vocals by my band's singer so I'll post them as we go.
cheers,
G

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• March 31, 2020, 09:15:30
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 21:25:44
Hey @GTB

Woah, that is one massive and ambitious project - congrats to actually pulling it off! :)
So lyrically each song covers an important event of that year? Is the corresponding period also reflected in the style of music for each song? (surely that would be too much, right? :D )

Had to read the lyrics a couple of times to get the historical references, although I am certain that i missed some  :D
Cool concept though to have the song cover more than just one event/topic. Are all the songs in the album written this way?

In this song, I immediately liked the guitar tracks in the intro, great opening to the song!
The calm, understated vocals work very well here, and I like that they are doubled. Nice surprise to get some harmonies for the second part of the pre-chorus.
Nice vocal melody at the end of the chorus ("run me out..."), the most memorable / catchy part of the song for me!

I thought the song could do with being a bit shorter, 5:19 is pushing it for the casual listener. Then again, I wouldn't know which part to cut from the song, so maybe it is best the way it is :)

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 23:12:29
What a great idea and that's some dedication! Any particular year your favourite? Love this btw

• GTB
  • Rotisseur

• midlands uk
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:20
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:23:42 by GTB »
Thanks for listening & commenting @Michael .  I've embedded some answers below.  You've made me realise I should write a short explanation of how the project was done :-)

Hey @GTB

Woah, that is one massive and ambitious project - congrats to actually pulling it off! :)
So lyrically each song covers an important event of that year? Is the corresponding period also reflected in the style of music for each song? (surely that would be too much, right? :D ) - Each song references all events, news, songs, films, popular culture, world conflict, race relations, etc. etc. for it's own year (as much as i could squeeze in) and is styled usually on 1 or 2 of the biggest rock songs of the year. I've drawn heavily on song/album titles, with some quoted lyrics and film quotes - even some politician quotes in places.

Had to read the lyrics a couple of times to get the historical references, although I am certain that i missed some  :D - I'd be amazed if you spot all of them without some serious googling.  The biggest task for each song was the research!
Cool concept though to have the song cover more than just one event/topic. Are all the songs in the album written this way? - Yes, every one :-)

In this song, I immediately liked the guitar tracks in the intro, great opening to the song! - thanks, I worked hard to make that E, A, D, A progression more interesting (used broken chords up around 5th to 10th frets with some open strings resonating.
The calm, understated vocals work very well here, and I like that they are doubled. Nice surprise to get some harmonies for the second part of the pre-chorus.
Nice vocal melody at the end of the chorus ("run me out..."), the most memorable / catchy part of the song for me! - thanks again, I almost called the song '1998 - Run Me Out' but decided the reference to BBC losing the cricket was too lightweight compared to the subject matter for that year. Was a close call.

Thanks for listening @realkevm , I have a few favourites (1970 - Houston We Have a Problem, 1997, 1987, 1960, 1966 - They Think Its All Over - too many to mention here) but really enjoyed every song tbh :-)
G

I thought the song could do with being a bit shorter, 5:19 is pushing it for the casual listener. Then again, I wouldn't know which part to cut from the song, so maybe it is best the way it is :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 21:01:19
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 16:04:21
I like the series concept for songwriting.
Because what I would like to tell you has no relevance to your topic, Iíll write it in songwriting ingredients.
And I will listen to your song as soon as my ears function again....
Kind regards, Gus

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:48:49
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 00:42:25
@GTB  impressive project - good sounding song. Well sung by Tricia. Do you let her (or other singers) adjust lyrics as they go?
getting a sort of B-52 vibe.
Will be back to hear more
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

xx
1998, my new electronic-ambient song

Started by Introverse77 on Songs for review

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2017, 23:00:44
by Introverse77
xx
Bill Violaís large exhibition in Het Stedelijk 1998

Started by LePlongeur on Other Arts

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 04:38:05
by Goatrelated