• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 27, 2020, 23:54:02
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Cue bodhrán roll ...
                                  after what seems like ages, I've finally got my eighth Pilgrims Way track, " A Taste Of Metheglin" uploaded onto SoundCloud.

I've described it as a Cinematic Celtic Fantasy ... hopefully you will feel immersed in the moment.

It took some doing getting it all together to make it sound like what was in my head.  Ready to do another one now. :-)

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/a-taste-of-metheglin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Cinematic-style Celtic Fantasy is loosely based around an ancient Celtic gathering on Lindisfarne and had me researching the Common Brittonic language to get some interesting 'Foley' sounds. It was spoken in Britain and Brittany and eventually developed into Old Welsh, Cumbric, Cornish, and Breton. It also features my long suffering wife who over time has become a quasi- Foley artist and harmony part singer for me.

The Metheglin of the title is the oil that makes the celebration happen and is a type of spiced mead, so basically fermented honey with spices added. It also obliquely connects to Lindisfarne mead and also the bees featured in 'By Castle Walls'.

I wanted to get a sort of cinematic feel to be dropped into a Celtic Festival or feast day and I hoped the language and children's laughter would aid in the immersion. Finally in this project I get to do a fair bit of bouzouki playing which was a plus.

So hopefully you will enjoy the feast .... "búwa slanos ac swos"

This track is now part of "The Pilgrims Way Project" exploring the history and natural world of Lindisfarne.

Project Playlist

soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/sets/the-pilgrims-way-project

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instrumentation

A Taste of Metheglin features low and high whistles, harp, strings, violin, alto-flute, a choir backing and bouzouki. Percussion consists of bodhrán, clapping, various taps and knocks, shaker and even tapping on my acoustic guitar.

Vocal FX is a combination of Brittonic vocalisations and a backing line from the Soundiron 'Voices of Gaia' collection featuring the vocal talents of Linda Strawberry.

Some of the percussion sounds come from the excellent playable VST instrument set "Flying Hands Percussion" by HandHeld Sound

A sea waves sound FX and children laughing FX that are classed as Public Domain are used to add colour to the track from www.freesound.org

creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background

This track is a combination of VST-based instrumentation and real-playing of instruments with additional clapping, tapping and knocking, all overlaid with original Foley sounds.

I wanted to try and get a well developed rhythmic feel and maybe the feel of circular dancing that hopefully comes out from the track.

"Love and Life is all about connections"

@MrBouzouki ,

This is so beautifully done. The soundscape is fantastic, the combination of instruments is blissful and the voices, laughter and choice of sounds from 1:15 immerse the listener in a sense of feast and happiness. The bouncy rhythmic feel is perfect, it imparts a sense of energy and fun, and after reading ‘circular dancing’ in your description I could clearly imagine it taking place! The sound of water/waves? at the end is very soothing and fills the ending with a strong sense of peace and serenity. I truly enjoyed listening to your Celtic Fantasy :)

PS. You mentioned there’s a combination of VSTs and real instruments. Which were the real instruments used?
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 27, 2020, 23:54:02
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Cheers @Rachel_D ... when you been working on a track for a long time it's hard to sit back and hear it properly so it's nice to get another pair of ears to say "yes ... that works" ;-)

On the instrumentation front I'm playing my Bouzouki (that I love and got for our 25th Wedding Anniversary a while ago now) , there is a harmony Bouzouki part too at one point. I'm also playing my Alto F Low Whistle at the beginning and in the reprise and a bit of high whistle in the bridge bit.

I'm also playing my acoustic guitar as a drum, the almost military sounding drum is tapping my guitar with a fair bit of reverb and my studio desk and large empty tea mug. The clapping is also me and it's timed to perhaps be slightly out at first then getting into sync, just like people would do when they are clapping along to a beat.

The other instrumentation is VST derived so still playing on MIDI keyboard. I have two separate harp sounds, one a Celtic Harp and one a more orchestral one.

As you can imagine, layering stuff like this was a bit of a nightmare when it came to mixing. I was often doing a mix and finding, for example,  that the strings were too low, I wanted an orchestral  warmth to it and not just a sort of Irish Jig.

Glad you like it  :-)

@MrBouzouki
Wow! That's fantastic! Apologies for my ignorance but it's only now I realise that your screen name (bouzouki) is also the name of the Irish instrument!! I love that sound but had no idea what the instrument was called. (I'll be reading your name in a totally different way from now onwards!)... It's also great that you play that whistle at the beginning as well (that's one of my very favouritebits). I'm a great fan of that combination of sounds, I've only been once to Ireland (just for a couple of days) and I loved going into souvenier shops just to have a listen to the sound of those instruments playing in the background... now that you've mentioned the list of instruments and sounds I can appreciate even more the work you put into it to bring it all together- the result sounds smooth and effortless ie you've done a pretty great job at it! :)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 07:29:53
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
I love writing in series; songs connected and the series become more than the individual songs.

Gaia is a word surfacing in different situations. Even in medival South of France. O mi gaia Magali is a part of a very old French poem. If you look through your eyelashes, the connection with the 1920 meaning of 'gay' pops up.  Blij/gelukkig, where G Translate comes up with happy/happy.

I am glad I waited till i had a decent set of head phones around. It sounds really great @MrBouzouki
Kind regards, Gus

• Mylene
  • Patissier
  • "Without music, life would be a mistake."

• Yesterday at 13:39:51
    • France
    • https://soundcloud.com/mylenenelym
  • more
What a beautiful Celtic atmosphere! I love the orchestration and thank you for explaning how you created it, it is very interesting (thank you @Rachel_D for asking, now I understand your pseudo @MrBouzouki   ;) )
Great job on the mix as well  :thumbsup:

xx
A Taste of Metheglin ( The Pilgrims Way ) Update

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2020, 10:24:40
by LePlongeur
xx
A Taste Of Metheglin Rough Updated 010420

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 15:56:31
by LePlongeur
xx
A Taste Of Metheglin - Progress Update - 230420

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 18:17:25
by robertkc
xx
School Project: Rap Track

Started by TheMobRapper on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2018, 02:28:23
by TheMobRapper
clip
By Castle Walls ( Track Seven of the Pilgrims Way Project )

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2019, 19:36:19
by Leonard Scaper