• Achilles (special person challenge) (and....a happy Birthday... Michael!)
  • Started by Michael
  • Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• March 31, 2020, 09:15:30
    • Switzerland
  • more
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 19:01:50 by Dutchbeat »
Sorry for showing up late to the party - but @Rachel_D and me just finished our entry today  ::)

Our entry is about a super-hero, whose weakness is his human side, therefore it is called Achilles. Rachel wrote the lyrics and will surely be able to tell you more about them!
We were having lots of fun bouncing around ideas and melodies and demos, and finally came up with this song, based on an ancient demo of Rachel's.
Thanks to our Kitchen team for granting us the extra time, we couldn't quite make it in the original February deadline (even this year's leap day didn't help :D)

As usual, constructive criticism is appreciated, we are always happy to learn  :)

>>> LINK to the song <<<

Achilles

Verse 1
Hidden, mysteriously
Planning, undoubtedly
Heading where no-one knows
And no-one dares to go

Verse 2
Living where no-one sees
Heading ahead of dreams
Leaving a tempting tone
Contemptuous and alone

Chorus
Shooting all through the night
Winding along the roads
Fighting but never dies
Breaking out all the codes
Moving in misty streets
And he just walks with the breeze

Verse 3
Witty and cunningly
Acting, surprisingly
Detailing every move
And never seems to lose

Bridge
Blinded far away from sight
There is another meaning
Trembling in the shadows there is
A heart in need of healing
There is another world beyond
The cover of the cape
Will he ever thrive beyond
The fear of mistakes?

Chorus
Winding along the roads
Fighting but never dies
Breaking out all the codes
Moving in misty streets
And he just walks with the breeze

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:17:09
  • more
Re: Achilles (special person challenge)
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 23:06:26
 :o :o :o :o Awesome @Michael and @Rachel_D   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
me, myself, and Pie

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• April 07, 2020, 23:28:20
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:58
@Rachel_D & @Michael  - heard, and on my list to listen agin. First impression - really impressive pro standard and catchy! Achilles, do you think he was an actual historical figure, - I mean - did he live in actual life?
Cheers!
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 17:50:24
I like the creativity and imagination that went into this. Vocalist is gifted. Arrangement  was good .

I thought the cymbals were a bit too often used in places here and there. The mix in general seems ever so slightly harsh in the mid ranges to my ears. Not by much.  The vocals are very up front in this mix which is fine. I did notice it though. The other extreme is pulling it too far back. I guess you need to find what works best for your vision of the song.

If the vocal is too far front it tends to lessen the impact of the music for me personally. For some reason I can't quite hear immediately the vocals and music don't feel blended. Maybe it's me and my ears, or it could be my headphones.

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• March 31, 2020, 09:15:30
    • Switzerland
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 20:01:26
Thank you for taking the time to listen :)

@oorlab :
I think he might have been a real person, whose abilities and heroism were later invented or exaggerated by what accounted for urban legend back in the day...

@Timothy Smith :
Appreciate the detailed feedback!
I think  I used different reverb plug-ins for the vocals and instrument section respectively. Do you think this could have caused those not to blend well together?

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 23:15:30
This has a really great melody. I like how it builds.

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:40:58
Thank you for taking the time to listen :)

@oorlab :
I think he might have been a real person, whose abilities and heroism were later invented or exaggerated by what accounted for urban legend back in the day...

@Timothy Smith :
Appreciate the detailed feedback!
I think  I used different reverb plug-ins for the vocals and instrument section respectively. Do you think this could have caused those not to blend well together?

Possibly this could be a factor. I seldom combine reverb and instead opt for a bus and send from each track. I realize that maybe Rachel sent you a track with reverb already on it in which case that might have been more of a struggle to work with.  The only time I use multiple reverb is if there is a certain desired characteristic I'm not getting using only one since reverbs can fight one another and encourage phase issues. I have done it though and it seems to work if I only use some of the characteristic I want. I have one flute sound in particular and the included reverb makes it. In that case I usually use more than one but probably send little to none of reverb #2 . One other thing that I usually do is roll off the bass frequencies below a certain threshold on the reverb bus. This is because  those low frequencies tend to build up and over power the mix. or add mud to it.
A few things that I found useful for gluing a  mix together are adding console emulation and/or tape emulation. This makes the mix sound like it was all mixed on the same mixer board and  recorded through the same tape machine. You would not do this if your intent was a clean and intentionally separated mix because those things add coloration and tend to blend the sounds.  Most mixes sound better  with console emulation in my opinion.
This is just me and my mix stategy. You might have a different way.

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• April 05, 2020, 23:13:19
  • more
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 14:35:14
Great stuff! A touch of Bond and great vocals with a biiiiig backing track.  Good build and variation my only suggestions are re the mix: to my ears the vocals are a bit muffled, maybe cut a low in the lower registers and perhaps a little boost in the upper registers? It also came through a s a bit uneven i.e a tad to low sometimes and a tad too up front at other places. Minor things, overall it is superb!
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:40
@Michael

Quite an atmospheric and dramatic piece! Well done!
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 18:17:09
  • more
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 19:00:34
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 19:05:43 by Dutchbeat »
hi @Michael......off topic but....

Happy Birthday!!!!

btw, I can not believe how young you are!!!! (considering all the years you succesfully completed the songwriting challenges on this kitchen!). But Finally, you have reached the age you can legally have a beer in your country too  ;D ;D ;D ;D ; So, this one is for you.... 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Happy Birthday! @Michael  !!!!!    

:dance:
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Happy Birthday @Michael  ! :) Wishing you a year full of inspiration and new songs! :D :D  ::headphone::
Here's a small birthday gift that I drew for you :)

Rachel
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

Wow!!! @Michael  and @Rachel_D  - this is awesome!!!  You two work really well together, it's so lovely to hear another for you! The track is epic and the vocals are beautiful! So much going on and such DRAMA!! Absolutely fantastic work.. I'll be listening to this again..

Huge thumbs up from me!

K

xx
First challenge of 2020: the 'special person' collab challenge. Join now!!

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

92 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 18:16:09
by Dutchbeat
xx
Entry from Mo and me for the 'special person' songwriting challenge

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 06:34:33
by Goatrelated
clip
Oorlab and Mora entry for the 'special person' songwriting challenge