• Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• March 30, 2020, 23:48:23
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Ok folks - I'm finally starting to get it together again musically so here is my 'work in progress' static mix of a collaboration with a guy on SoundCloud called Dave Zeitlin.

His Profile
Iím an amateur musician, writing and recording instrumental electronic progressive rock music music in my spare time on Roland synthesiser workstations, although the original ideas for tracks
often come from iPad soft synths (I use the Animoog and Jordantron) or the piano.

From discussion he is typical of some people on SoundCloud who is a great musician, he's been playing since he was young, and has lot of songs on his profile,  but says he can't write lyrics or sing.

Well the muse has been at work and a set of lyrics has fallen out of my head after hearing this track of his:-

ORIGINAL

https://soundcloud.com/dee-zee/the-slowness-of-sloths

Yep a weird title, but some fantastic playing and it's inspired me to re-invent it as "All of Me". (Lyrics below) - It's nothing like John Legend ... lol

He let me have a download of it and I sang my parts over the top. I added a multi-part harmony in the song too. I then wanted to add some guitar but with a completed track it seemed difficult to make any space to make the guitar sit in the mix.  I then thought of EQ and made three copies of his basic track, panned one a bit to the left, one a bit to the right and kept one in the centre. I then used my Fab Filter Pro 2 with an extreme 96db cut to try and just leave mostly drums and bass in the centre, high synthesizer to the right and lower keyboards to the left. I then panned my guitar a bit to the left to try and balance the high synth.
It seems to have worked to a point from what I can hear as I think the guitar acts a foil to the high synth now.

On the guitar front, I think I've thrown the kitchen sink at it a bit so I may well lose in the mix or delete entirely certain bits where it's making a bit of a muddle.
Be aware this is only a basic static mix although I have started to do a bit of volume shaping on the guitar part. I haven't decided on reverb levels or anything like that yet either.

Anyway, I think it's got a bit of energy and I enjoyed working out and singing the melody (and harmony) and also recording the guitar part today. I quite like the solo, I've heard a few scuffs but I think I'm going to leave it alone because it's got a vibe. Dave Z likes it too. As mentioned earlier, I think I'm going to chop some bits of noodling that don't add anything to the track. 

Here is the track so far  ;D ;D ;D

CURRENT MIX

http://www.pgmain.co.uk/kitchen/All_Of_Me_241017_Static_Mix.mp3

LYRICS

All of Me
(P Goodrich 01/10/2017)

(Chorus)
Catch a falling star and see
That youíre getting, all of me
Trying to be more than friends
A happiness that, never ends

All of Me

Being free is fine,
You never get the time,
To get to know that someone who might love you
One more empty day
Seconds tick away
And loneliness it cuts you with a knife

(Chorus)

All of Me ... All of Me

Thereís a certain smile
It might take a while
To feel your heart and mine can come together
Looking for a way
Each and every day
So you can know the feelings in my mind

(SOLO)

(Chorus)

All of Me ...  All of Me,

All of Me
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 01:40:28
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:18:12 by Mar T. »
Holy shit Pete, that's an interesting post asking for in depth feedback..
First of all: what a beautiful instrumental from Dee-Zee!
I looove your singing and guitar playing, man you can play and sing!
My main suggestion is in line with what you were struggling with.. It's too much
at the same time right now imo. I'd fade the lead guitar way more to the background
when you're singing. There's parts where there's no vocals, that'd be the spots to
bring up the lead guitar a bit more upfront imo.
Also the lead synth and guitar could be alternated (only 1 at the same time), but I
guess you don't have versions of Dee-Zee's instrumental with and without the lead
synth.
That's it for the suggestions..
I loove the harmonies you created, and again, what a voice and I love the guitar
play!
I hope this helps a bit @MrBouzouki

Glad you shared this track with us, I love it!
Oh, and great to see the songwriting bug is bugging you again!!  ;) ;)  ;D ;D
Cheers,
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:24:33
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Listening and reading comments for @Mar T. .....and listening on very good headphones...I think you could make a huge difference in this mix by panning some elements considerably further out. Everything feels crowded to the center.

Perhaps just your guitar could be creatively panned wider....something along those lines.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Cheers @Leonard Scaper , @Mar T. - aye early days as it's straight of the DAW after tracking the guitar this afternoon/ early evening. I'm going to leave it alone for a few days, listen to it in the car, in mono etc.
and then come back for a re-balancing and chopping session. 

As you suspected @Mar T. I'm a bit restricted in what I can do with Dave's finished track so I've tried to be creative to make a hole for the guitar to sit in.

I will try a wider panning @Leonard Scaper for sure.

I wonder what people think of the bass and drums compared to the original track. I think I've managed to keep them OK with all my initial tweaking. 

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Good to see you back at it and there's a whole lot of energy in there. Confident vocals and definitely a good first draft.

As you yourself suspect, the mix is a bit of a muddle in first draft form and say panning the two interplaying guitars left and right, for example, might help for a start.

It is also a song with lots of good bits and instrumental heroics, perhaps too many I would say, but I think you are doing the right thing having a couple of days off to reflect. I sometimes do that and when I come back I often can see as plain as day what elements need editing or thinning out. Stepping back can be just the trick.

But this looks like the basis of a productive collaboration and I am pretty sure you will knock this into shape on your next session. Well done so far.
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:43:48
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
great vocal melody, lyrics and singing - mixwise & performance-wise.
The guitar sounds a bit in too many places. I'd use it more sparsely.
Otherwise, outstanding track! Classic in the making.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Hey@MrBouzuki I know youíre mainly looking for prod/mix feedback but since Iím crap at that 😁 I just popped in to say I love what youíve done with this. It was a short 4 mins !! Loved the lyrics and your vocal and Iím really looking forward to hearing how this turns out with the advice youíll get from the others! Has your collaborator no interest in taking your vox and guitar and doing a mix his end?

Hi @MrBouzouki ,

I totally agree with @Leonard Scaper

Roberto

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:40:10 by MrBouzouki »
I've been working on this again this evening, re-tracking some guitar and acting on several ideas from you good people.
I can't post the latest iteration yet as Dee-Zee hasn't heard it yet so it's not fair for you lot to hear it first. I did want to post what I did for the stereo imaging though as I think it might be of interest to people.

I took the advice of @Leonard Scaper on-board and actually took Dee-Zee's mastered stereo track, copied it, and panned one hard left and one hard right. That made a nice hole in the middle, and left his stereo mix intact,  but it sounded a bit thin.

I then took another copy of the track and used EQ to effectively make a 'sub-bass' (low bass and low drums / keyboards) that I left centered. When mixed in with the left and right pans this gave a nice bottom end again, but still kept the centre free of higher frequencies.

Once I'd tracked all my guitar parts, I copied the fill parts and panned then a bit left and a bit right. I left the guitar intro and guitar solo centre panned as it takes the place of the vocals. As expected the vocals is panned centre. 

This seems to have worked very well so I've got a proper static mix now. It's starting to sound like a song now, especially after losing lots of extra guitar bits that weren't needed.
To be fair I didn't want to stomp all over Dee-Zee's playing when completed. I think I've largely succeeded now - it's a proper collaboration.

Low Freq Sub-Mix
                             Basic Track (Hard Left)                                                                                                                                                                       Basic Track (Hard Right)
                                                                            Fill Guitar (Left)                                                                                               Fill Guitar (Right)

Vocals and Harm Vocals

Guitar Intro and Solo

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:24:33
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Looking forward to hearing this, MrB.

• Rewboat
  • Patissier
  • a song is a time and place you visit

• March 07, 2020, 21:51:59
    • www.soundcloud.com/andrew-frankel
  • more
Great high harmonies on "in my mind"

Mixed well but the vocals feel a bit close. I'm imagining a high gain and reverb on the lower vocals parts to get that crackly tortured sound at the bottom and then unhinged higher vocals pulling away from the mic so we get a sense of the environment you're creating.

The guitar treatment and the melody work with your voice to make this 'monster in an dark alley on a rainy night' feel. I'd follow that

xx
All of Me (Prog Rock Soundcloud Collaboration)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 00:15:15
by MichaelA
xx
All of Me - Prog Rock Collab idea

Started by MrBouzouki on Lyrics

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2018, 21:45:52
by TheMobRapper
xx
Lighthouse Keeper (16.5 min Prog Rock monster)

15 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 10:13:59
by MrBouzouki
xx
Deep And Blue (collaboration D Zeitlin) - Symphonic Prog Alert

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2020, 18:09:47
by MrBouzouki
xx
Rock Pop Songwriter available for collaboration