• Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
An End (Just A Beginning)
on: November 23, 2018, 14:03:28
Here's a new one from Lenny.   :)

.....just something I have had on my mind........

An End (Just A Beginning)
https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=540680&content=songinfo&songID=13810019

Chains
Could never hold him
And rain
Could never bring him down

Change
Just made him bolder
And the angels
Always kept him around

It was strange
How it got colder
But things didn't change
When he was suddenly gone

CHORUS
An end
Is just a beginning
And time
A meandering stream
Don't spend
All your winnings

INSTRUMENTAL

Time
Just made him younger
And these days when I'm
On fire
I remember his name

I heard those chimes
When he was done
It all started to rhyme
And I can still hear him saying

CHORUS
Pretend
You're winning
And spend
More time in your dreams
Then an end
Will be just a beginning

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Today at 09:28:15
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: An End (Just A Beginning)
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 14:50:48
HI @Leonard Scaper, what a terrific riff that underpins this very haunting and atmospheric song. There is real depth and mood to that backing guitar track, great chord sequence, but then continual subtle embellishment and counter melodies all knitted together so well.

You seem to have let this one flow more smoothly than some of your other songs, as I know you are happy to pause as part of your signature style. This style works too, especially for this thoughtful and moving lyric.

You could probably take the vocals off this and sell it as an instrumental too, as a sync opportunity.

Yeah, I really like it, up there with your best I think.

Just one small question...about half way through the instrumental break there is a commencing note at the start of the bar on lead guitar that doesn't quite sound in time. Perhaps needs moving along the grid a fraction maybe? ...just a tiny point, if indeed I am right, sorry.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this philosophical song and this gorgeous instrumental layering!  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 16:41:41
Leonard by name, Leonard by nature ;-) Cool tune.

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 19:12:11
@Leonard Scaper  A lovely opening to a song that takes the listener deep - spiritual and mysterious lyrics with wisdom delivered in a gentle way.
The production on this is much fuller than on other songs I`ve heard from you, and to my ears it serves the song well. The fuzz lead guitar works nicely and there are subtle layers that keep the song flowing.
Very much enjoyed!

Robert

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 23:00:11
Hi Lenny, your voice is amazing, so credible sounding and authentic. I love the ringing guitar in the chorus.

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:42:37
Very nice Leonard.  Great flow and voice leading in all parts.   I like the way the way you create cadences that are not conventional, but are yet very musical.  It's a style thing.

Do you use a click or play to a grid?  There seem to be a few places where the recording "stutters," either with dead space or like a fraction of a beat was lost.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:05:32
@MichaelA ........glad you picked up and that foundation riff as it is what got this one going for me. Truth is, it still has my characteristics stops and starts but I tried to hide them a bit by bringing up a B3 organ swell during each transition. Seemed to work pretty well. I really appreciate that about the lyric as well. I know where you are hearing that electric guitar thing....I'll take a look at that.

@Dave Bradley ........got me smiling with that. I can only aspire to reach that depth. Thanks for stopping by.  :)

@robertkc .......this one did take on a bit of a spiritual nature for me as the lyrics presented themselves. I'm glad that reached you as well. I was on the fence about that guitar tone as it was quite strident on its own. When presented with the synth stuff on the other side, however, it had me smiling.

@realkevm .......thanks for that, man. My voice is nothing if not authentic. You have to own your style, right. I really appreciate that about the guitar tone as well........that is always something I strive for.

@M57 .........I made a few minor adjustments to my room before tracking that vocal and somehow I caught a tone with a bit more subtle depth for this one. Cool that you picked up that cadence thing. I tracked the guitar to a click but I always like to  use that click as more of a hand rail than a grid so it still feels kind of loose. Once the guitar was in I automated the click for a count in only and let everything else go natural. One interesting thing I did here that you might appreciate was to bring in a kick in the choruses only. I soloed the kick with the bass there and nudged them into sync by ear to try to move those sections a bit better.

Thanks to all who have listened to this one

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 12:20:26
OOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW YOUR VOICE
:yes: :yes: :yes:
 :praise: :praise: :praise:
 ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart::
   BEAUTIFUL SONG
also a goat understands a joke

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:46:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 14:34:33
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 15:32:42 by LePlongeur »
You know how much I like your music and this one is a beauty of course.
There´s one thing puzzling me however, and that is the melody of the late line of the chorusses.
It bends up as a promis that there more to come. And after that note it doesn´t.
But then again, you probably did this on purpose?
Kind regards, Gus

Correcting a typo: the last sentence is what I meant to say...., sorry!

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 14:44:10
@Goatrelated ...........you bring a smile to an old guy's face.

@LePlongeur .........I'll have to give that a listen. Definitely did not do that on purpose. Thanks for your appreciation.  :)

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 18:41:28
Hi @Leonard Scaper ... at first I didn't like the piano tone ... but then the more I listened it kind of got a life of its own and now I actually do like it. I love the lead guitar work over there on the right .... oh darn I had had my earbuds in wrong ... I mean the erhh... left.  :D   Oh man, I gotta listen again now.  :D

The lyrics hit the listener in true biblical proportions .... but still subtle enough to maintain coolness. Epic story and the song flows nicely.

If you are still working on it: That pause at 2:11 - 2:12 is too much (or too little) for my ears.

If you are done: Good show! ...and good flow!

-11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 20:43:59
Hey Bill.. @Bill from November Sound ....you hit on two things that I also struggled with during production. That piano sound is about it for me as I only use the sounds in my old rack synth. I worked with EQ to get something that didn't quite have me smiling but also did not have me grimacing. And that pause was in there from the beginning as I wanted a definite transition from the instrumental to the last important verse. It started feeling too long.....but I stayed with it anyway.

Thanks particularly for that about the lyrics.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:58:53
  • more
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 20:51:48
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 20:53:30 by Dutchbeat »
ah @Leonard Scaper , very delicate and super nice  music, with a great build in track  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::..the stops are not neccesary  ;D ;D ;D

fantastic vocals  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: you are so completely into your lyrics, here once again, if that makes sense
you always do

yet another great song.....@leonard you make more songs per month than... ::) ::) ::)....i censored this something with ...censored this too  8) 8) 8) 8)

me, myself, and Pie

• LostBoy
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 15:22:05
    • South east London
    • https://soundcloud.com/LostBoy85
  • more
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 22:36:18
Oh I love moody/atmospheric songs like this!! You have done a great job mate. I love the lyrics and the instrumentation in general. The only thing I noticed and this was not a big distraction in any way, but to my ear the instrumental parts, in places, didn’t flow as well as the rest of the track.

Really great stuff! I doth my cap to you sir!  :D ::thumb::

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 21:10:28
  • more
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 01:25:18
well you know I `m a fan of this from the first listen. no wasted space here. all the lyric and track works. 

xx
The end, a beginning

Started by Jamie on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 08:23:06
by Binladeda
xx
It's beginning to look....

Started by Zedd on Life

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2016, 00:42:53
by Mar T.
xx
The Best Songwriting Tip For Beginning Professionals

Started by Friedemann on Life

13 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 00:33:33
by Friedemann
xx
The End of Experience

Started by Andrew Jezmund on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2015, 18:16:14
by Dutchbeat
xx
this is where i am....(end of the weekend)

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 14:11:58
by Dutchbeat