• Ascension of Belisama
  • Started by hondz1k
Ascension of Belisama
on: January 09, 2021, 15:22:16
Hello,

I am looking for advise here. I started making cinematic sounding music some 3 months ago and the beginings were rough, as you might imagine. But I think I managed to bring it to a certain level people might enjoy and I started to post the stuff online and to be honnest I got only few reactions and it almost entirely stopped. My understanding is, that either my music sucks or it is genre that have only limited amount of listeners.

So if anybody would be so kind and give me any feedback, no matter how harsh, I would be really glad. Because I am not sure what exactly am I doing wrong, but I would sure like to find out.

Please see the song her: https://soundcloud.com/onebedroom/ascension-of-belisama

Thanks for any comments.

Re: Ascension of Belisama
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 16:42:42
@hondz1k   I'm the last one to be able to give technical advise. It's kind of I should be watching a video while listening to it.

As far as getting listeners, there is probably a thousand songs a second uploaded online, it's surprising to me anything gets a listen, there is just so much and overwhelming. You don't suck, keep on making music!
Vince

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 17:19:09
Hola @hondz1k

Hello, your music is beautiful, sad, it has calm snow but, although I do not make this kind of music, I think you could use the unexpected of some changes of atmosphere or image,   not always stay in that landscape, something that surprises, scares... although ithere is a change in the 4'40.. it is still classically known ... I think that this music has the freedom in its concept of integrating scares sensations, boooooommm, attracting the attention of that audience you are looking for, there is a lot of competition and perhaps it is no longer about the quality but about the effective why it has caught the attention.
Well I think I've made a speech ... But think about it, dare to be someone else in certain parts of the music.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 23:20:50
I have my critical ears on. It's a very good cinematic composition suitable as an opening for any dramatic film IMO. There no arguing that.  It's beautiful, dramatic and majestic.

Suggestions:

Do more versions of it. Maybe add a single instrument in the vary beginning and increase the length of the entire piece.

Criticism:

In the softer part there seems to be some distortion. Were some of the meters peaking?  I thought that the really loud part would be distorted but it wasn't.

Were you using a lot of compression on the mix bus or on the tracks?  Acoustic instruments usually don't require much compression.  Maybe do some more mixing and mastering or have a mastering engineer or use the mastering on Soundcloud. Maybe do an unmastered mix and try it the Soundcloud options. The are free to try.

Conclusion:

That was a very good composition. I have a list of Indie filmmakers. I've written to a couple of them but none had the courtesy to write back.  ::) Maybe compile a list of filmmakers and let them know what you do. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Create!

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 15:13:59
Hola @hondz1k

Hello, your music is beautiful, sad, it has calm snow but, although I do not make this kind of music, I think you could use the unexpected of some changes of atmosphere or image,   not always stay in that landscape, something that surprises, scares... although ithere is a change in the 4'40.. it is still classically known ... I think that this music has the freedom in its concept of integrating scares sensations, boooooommm, attracting the attention of that audience you are looking for, there is a lot of competition and perhaps it is no longer about the quality but about the effective why it has caught the attention.
Well I think I've made a speech ... But think about it, dare to be someone else in certain parts of the music.

Stay safe

Mora

Thanks veyr much for this feedback. I will keep it mind next time :)

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 15:58:18
I have my critical ears on. It's a very good cinematic composition suitable as an opening for any dramatic film IMO. There no arguing that.  It's beautiful, dramatic and majestic.

Suggestions:

Do more versions of it. Maybe add a single instrument in the vary beginning and increase the length of the entire piece.

Criticism:

In the softer part there seems to be some distortion. Were some of the meters peaking?  I thought that the really loud part would be distorted but it wasn't.

Were you using a lot of compression on the mix bus or on the tracks?  Acoustic instruments usually don't require much compression.  Maybe do some more mixing and mastering or have a mastering engineer or use the mastering on Soundcloud. Maybe do an unmastered mix and try it the Soundcloud options. The are free to try.

Conclusion:

That was a very good composition. I have a list of Indie filmmakers. I've written to a couple of them but none had the courtesy to write back.  ::) Maybe compile a list of filmmakers and let them know what you do. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Thanks very much for this detailed reply.

I do not see the meter peeking, but it might be due to lack of mastering (to be honnest I am only using "Sounddogoodizer" in FL Studio and not much else). I will have to learn how to master the tracks properly.

I am already working on another composition of the melody and it is super fun. Thanks for that sugestion :)

• muso1070
  • Saucier
  • Karma Hunter

• January 23, 2021, 10:02:16
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 18:16:09
Hello,

I am looking for advise here. I started making cinematic sounding music some 3 months ago and the beginings were rough, as you might imagine. But I think I managed to bring it to a certain level people might enjoy and I started to post the stuff online and to be honnest I got only few reactions and it almost entirely stopped. My understanding is, that either my music sucks or it is genre that have only limited amount of listeners.

So if anybody would be so kind and give me any feedback, no matter how harsh, I would be really glad. Because I am not sure what exactly am I doing wrong, but I would sure like to find out.

Please see the song her: https://soundcloud.com/onebedroom/ascension-of-belisama

Thanks for any comments.

This sounds brilliant man don't stop!!! Just what I needed to hear today something calm and thought provoking after editing all day on something totally different.
I'm a huge fan of movie scores so I appreciate this well done.