• Vegetable Chef
  • Karma hunter

• November 12, 2020, 12:54:48
    • Sao Martinho de Mouros, Portugal
  • more
BPM 160
on: November 10, 2020, 22:22:57
Hi all!
My brother turns 60 on the 14th. He is a cancer researcher at Sloan Kettering in New York. He is also an avid runner. He runs every day and he runs the New York Marathon every year to support cancer research. His running tempo is 160 BPM. I'm working on this song for his birthday...

https://soundcloud.com/rogier-van-den-brink/bpm-160-third-edit

https://www.mskcc.org/news/why-run-marathons-cancer-research-one-physician-scientist-shares-his

Re: BPM 160
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 22:48:45
Wow @Rogier I haven't  listened yet .... I'm helping someone record a video right now .... but amazing!
What a wonderful idea ... to create music at the exact tempo needed by a runner who is your brother who is running to support cancer research !?!  :praise:
Beautiful!
Changing the world! Just awesome.
I can't wait to listen to it.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 23:35:20
@Rogier   I listened now....   

I love that unison/octaves line with the low piano and guitars! Very cool song man!

-11 ::Note::

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 00:55:57
@Rogier Groovy song, and very well mixed. The idea reminds me of when I used to wear headphones when I was running. I tried to compile a playlist that could match the tempo I expected to be running. Yours should have been accessible at rhe time for eternal replay when I was running :)
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 16:47:56
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 07:15:36
A nice idea @Rogier
I think that maybe you wrote th lyrics in Dutch. And the Dutch are often told they have clay feet.
Thus the: My feet are fast, not out of clay....
Maybe 'not made of clay' is more in line with what you have in mind.

Is it an idea to 'klankbord' your lyrics with a native speaker?

And I would suggest you check the bass. Was it automatically generated?
As it's going everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
It somehow distracts the attention from the central form/idea of the song, which is a pity.
I like your ode very much.

Keep on keepin' on, said Curtis Mayfield. Solid advice, as your brother does the same.
Kind regards, Gus

• Rogier
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma hunter

• more
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 19:50:15
Hi Gus
"Clay Feet" is a common expression, so feet "not out of clay" is just fine. I  did not write it in Dutch, by the way. Are you Dutch?

The reason why the bass is not exactly on the beat, is, of course, because it was NOT generated.... I could have used a quantized bass, but it didn't sound right. I want it to swing. I listened to it again, and I can't find where the bass is "everywhere and nowhere". It sounds natural to me. But I can edit. Are there some bars where you find it very jarring? Can you tell me where?

• Rogier
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma hunter

• more
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 19:53:39
Thanks for your reviews! I hadn't mixed it yet, because I am not happy with the beat. I'll go running with the non-beat tracks and see what I'd like....
But if you guys have any suggestions, please  send them in!