• scojada91
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• December 15, 2018, 01:35:27
    • Virginia, USA
  • more
Broadcast quality?
on: November 14, 2018, 19:13:58

I'm a new member. Glad to have a resource like this one !   Would appreciate any suggestions on the production value of this one.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Broadcast quality?
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 19:50:53
Hey @scojada91  ......Welcome to The Kitchen!!!

I like the laid back style on this tune and how you have your vocals right out front like that. I'm listening on computer speakers right now....that's always a good down and dirty way to see how the vocals sit in a mix. I'll listen more critically tonight in the studio if you'd like.

Meanwhile think about starting a thread in the "Me" section to tell us a little more about yourself. I know I'm always interested in what instruments you are using and what your recording and mixing process looks like, especially that, since you were asking about production.

Stop in and visit a few other threads to get to know what folks are doing....we are a very diverse bunch here. Let folks know that you stopped by and they will no doubt return the favor.

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• scojada91
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• Virginia, USA
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 20:13:04
Thanks for the welcome and feedback.  I'm still learning with engineering , and only mixed this for headphones. It is a garageband production. The only real instrument is an acoustic guitar.  If you do another listen, I'm all ears !

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:27:57
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 20:17:20
Hi @scojada91 - as Lenny said it's a nice laid-back style. It sounds an interesting track that 'pulls you in' so to speak.

One thing I noticed is that considering you singing are quite low in your voice, your vocals sound a bit thin as recorded.
I wonder if you've inadvertently removed some of the natural low harmonies that should be present  in a male voice at this pitch.
Of course this might be down to YouTube, I'm not sure what it does to uploaded sound to be honest.

I took a quick listen to Sky and a few of your other tracks. It sounds a nice body of work.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• scojada91
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• Virginia, USA
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 20:31:40
Thank you for the observations !  I'm sure that a fuller vocal tone could have worked, but I've been struggling with  vox EQ that sits in the overall blend just right.  I spend more time on engineering than writing these days.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 13:31:23
I took another listen last night in the studio with my good headphones. @MrBouzouki is right about your vocals I think wrt to them being a bit thin....but I would not worry about that right now. I attribute that to your microphone choice perhaps. The song and how you perform it are most important and this song stands up nicely.

As you move forward and you commit yourself even stronger to presenting your music to the world you may want to consider making a financial commitment to that journey. Those of us who are recording acoustic guitar and vocals as the foundation of our music can REALLY benefit from a good recording chain. That means spending some money on a good microphone and a good preamp to go with it. I spent my money once years ago and nowadays I just write and record.

After that you can work on some mix technique. This song could present better with some creative panning and equalization to make better use of the sound stage.

Good tune, though....and you don't really need to worry about any of that stuff to keep writing good songs like this.

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 03:55:08
Hello @scojada91  ... welcome to the kitchen ... and to second what @Leonard Scaper is saying .... welcome to the all-consuming and often expensive world of home music making! ha,ha  :D

The track sounds nice to me!

To answer @MrBouzouki ... In my experience when CDBaby submits the music to Youtube on a [your name here] topic channel it never sounds as good as when you upload it yourself on your own channel. You might want to try making a less compressed, less loud track and then putting it up on your own channel. Youtube does applies its own normalization and compression so it ends up sounding better if you start quiet and they push up your volume instead of squashing it.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:46:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:31:44
I donít know if you are familiar with the proximity effect?
If not, this causes to make the voice thicker (while losing definition) if you sing closer to the mic. If you sing with a larger distance, the definition is better, but the voice tends to get a little thin.

So Iíve wondered if you can recall where you were positioned when you were singing. Questions like this are hard to solve when there has been eq-ing going on and the mic used is not known.

But when I listen and read Leonardís remarks, my guess would be proximity. And if proximity is the cause, thereís no knob fiddling back. If youíll want to change that, youíll have to re-record the vox.
Hope this is of any use to you, @scojada91 .
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 14:01:52
Hi @scojada91  Welcome to this site. I listened to your song and I liked the calm it has.
I also think that the voice could use a denser sound that gives it even more presence ..?

... Sorry but given my limited knowledge of English I have missed seeing the lyrics to understand the song well while listening.
See you soon.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 19:32:14
@scojada91  I enjoyed this - jumping right in with little or no intro grabbed my attention and your laid back vocal style  has character ( I agree with other comments re: the eq ). It would be nice to have the lyrics in your post - they sound  interesting.
Welcome to the forum!

Robert

• scojada91
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• Virginia, USA
  • more
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:03
Thanks for listening.  I had gotten to the point where I needed fresh ears on this. ( I've been mixing it off and on for 7 years)
Just replied to your  "All the Nothing I Want " .  Great phrase !