• By Castle Walls ( Track Seven of the Pilgrims Way Project )
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 12, 2019, 19:46:21
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 14:23:51 by MrBouzouki »
So I've taken a leaf out of the @Pleudoniem play-book with this one and connected with my inner bee  ;D ;D ;D

The Description below explains my thinking in detail but in the interest of a picture being worth a thousand words I've included some pictures of part of the garden.

As far as I know it's the first use of a 'bee ensemble' in an instrument track although I'm sure there will be a few if you go looking.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/by-castle-walls

My next subject .... Lindisfarne Mead  ... ummmmmmmm

=================================================

By Castle Walls - P Goodrich 2019

"When Summer sun shines on your face
By Castle Walls I feel your grace
When bees alight on golden thrones
By Castle Walls 'twixt sea and stone"
---------------------------------------------------
The Gertrude Jekyll garden, near to Lindisfarne Castle is the focus of this track. Now owned by the National Trust, originally it was a walled garden that was first constructed by troops manning the castle, presumably as far back as the 1500s or 1600s, to grow food.

In 1902, the Country Life magazine founder and owner Edward Hudson took out a lease from the Crown on Lindisfarne Castle and commissioned his friend, the architect Edwin Lutyens, to transform the Castle into a holiday home in which Hudson could entertain during his summer visits.

In 1911, Hudson decided to restore the old walled garden to use as a place to enjoy. Lutyens brought in his regular collaborator, Gertrude Jekyll to undertake the design work

This track is now part of "The Pilgrims Way Project" exploring the history and natural world of Lindisfarne.

Project Playlist

soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/sets/the-pilgrims-way-project

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instrumentation

By Castle Walls instrumental feature strings, cello, alto flute, alto F low whistle, english horn, piano, harp, alto glockenspiel, bass guitar, harpsichord and a mixed choir backing. It also features my initial poem voice-over and 'bees ensemble' :-)

The buzzing bees sound FX is classed as Public Domain and is used to add colour to the track from www.freesound.org

creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background

In my head I had the idea of trying to capture the feeling of guests of Hudson, (or modern day visitors) walking around the garden on a late Summer afternoon, possibly stopping to listen to the bees, busy at work, collecting honey.

The poem came out of that thought which then inspired the musical direction of the piece.

I imagined the first part, idyllic, tranquil, moving to section where you just focus in on the bees and everyday life slips away for a while. This is followed by a grander 'promenade ending', where I imagined Hudson's guests strolling around in the late afternoon sun.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Re: By Castle Walls ( Track Seven of the Pilgrims Way Project )
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 14:29:25
Hola @MrBouzouki

Your music has space, air that caresses and sun that softens the morning freshness in the back. Bees ... That sound of spring and summer that is sometimes missing in some places ...
As always you have achieved a very well harmonized, balanced piece. Surely if the bees you portrayed would listen to it, they would like it. ::thumb:: ::thumb::
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 22:55:23
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 22:39:44
Quite perfect, great achievement @MrBouzouki! I do hope one to be able to see this garden myself. Lindisfarne seems a wonderful place. I thought it was so up north that it would be quite barren. But the picture is full of flowers.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 18:35:39
Simply lovely @MrBouzouki ... the strings come in and you can feel the delight of a stroll through the garden.
All the instruments ( and bees) are woven into the sound very well.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Robert

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 18:52:14
Happy to have been able to offer you a leaf, my dear @MrBouzouki , and you've created a beautiful piece of work with it. Great for an atmospherical background to a movie. I don't think you have a movie clip with it yet, have you? I think you should consider it.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 04:30:58
  • more
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 20:35:40
@MrBouzouki

the instrumentation in this is terrific , love the sounds and  the mix.

[ instrumentation] hope thats a word....lol

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 11:29:53
  • more
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 19:34:37
i agree with the others
@MrBouzouki , this is a very beautiful track, awesome the instruments and sounds in this  ::headphone:: :yes: :yes: :yes:
a super pleasant listening
me, myself, and Pie

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 16:38:56
Cheers folks, it's another one of those that came together in a pleasing fashion which was a great relief after the trials and tribulations of the previous track The 'Rainbow Arch'.

@oorlab - it is quite beautiful but also can be a fairly bleak place. I  have some links below to flyovers by drones that give a feel for the place. It is wild and tranquil (away from the tourists) with seals and orchids and birds a plenty.

The walled garden in question is relatively small, you can spot it on the drone footage near the castle, it looks about the size of a pinfold, for keeping stray animals in.  The point of the garden and Gertrude Jekyll's involvement was her introduction of a riot of colour that was a direct contrast to the austere surroundings.

@Pleudoniem - I have got some video footage and stills, as always it's about time. When I have done all my music about the place I can think about adding it to YouTube with photos and video.

Drone footage of the North Shore

Some nice general still footage

You can see the walled garden at around 2:53 as it flies around the castle.  I think the castle was actually a Tudor era fort. 

Finally the causeway ... some idiots always get stranded a couple of times a year and they cars covered by the tide. 

although there are always those who want to try for the thrill of it.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 16:40:20
... and for my next trick.

I've already got a musical idea for track eight of 'The Pilgrims Way Project'. Lindisfarne is famous for it's mead so I thought I needed to do a track about it.

Well actually, not the style of mead produced in Lindisfarne since 1962, that is a variety of mead called a pyment, which is a mixture of grape and honey. No the style of mead I'm thinking about is a mead made with spices such as ginger, tea, orange peel, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, cloves or vanilla. It is called Metheglin.

What might be a fanciful story about the term 'honymoon' alludes to "the custom of the higher order of the Teutones... to drink Mead, or Metheglin, a beverage made with honey, for thirty days after every wedding"

Fanciful or not, this got me thinking of a wedding gathering on Lindisfarne, fuelled by Metheglin, and gave me a suitable backdrop to write an up-tempo tune around.

So the title of track eight will be "A Taste of Metheglin"

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 16:59:39
Mudflats

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 11:04:47
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 19:36:19
Beautiful instrumentation.....when the bees come in it really becomes vivid.

I'm going to take a tour now through the videos.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason