• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
  • more
'Change Is Not Enough' - new song
on: July 23, 2017, 18:04:23
OK, well I have just spent Sunday afternoon completing this one which has been on and off the back boiler for a while now. At just under 5 mins long, my main internal debate is about the length. After 3 mins there is a mid-break section. I did think of editing this out and just going straight into the final chorus. But then I thought, well, the track is not particularly commercial anyway, so why not have a longer moodier song that the listener can just sink into? A bit of mood music in a way.

Well if you have 5 mins to spare  ;) I would appreciate any comments.

The current structure is verse/chorus/verse/chorus/mid break/chorus

Edited it would be verse/chorus/verse/chorus/rpt chorus - and still be about 4 mins long, but missing out the varying mid break interest. Ho hum!  ::)

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/change-is-not-enough
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Ehsan
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• November 05, 2019, 22:14:56
    • Iran
    • https://soundcloud.com/ehsanei
  • more
Re: 'Change Is Not Enough' - new song
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 21:04:01
Thanks for sharing @MichaelA !

Could you also post the lyrics here? The words sound clear in the song but I think and overview of the lyrics would also help members analyze the song.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 21:34:58
Thanks and sorry @Ehsan, here are the lyrics:

Change Is Not Enough

By now you thought I would turn away
By now you thought Iíd be far away
Somehow I canít find the energy
To do whatís right, whatís right for me
To do what is right for you as well
I took you to Heaven, took you to Hell
Said I would change but Iím just weak
Go find the love you really seek
You seek

Change is not enough
Without the love
Without the love
Youíre dreaming of

Change is not enough
Hold out for love
Hold out for love
Youíre dreaming of

Donít wait for me I cannot change
Donít hurt for me I canít make change
Donít hope for me, that I will change
Broken pieces wonít rearrange

Iím not the man you think I am
All that I am canít give a damn
Make this a distant memory
Run for the place where you should be
Should be

CHORUS

Wake with the sunrise
Open your sweet eyes
Wake with the morning
New chances dawning
Capture the moment
Seize the sweet moment
Live for the new day
Live every day
As if each day
Is your last day

Change is not enough

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 13:07:47
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 21:49:29
I love the line.....

I took you to Heaven, on the road to Hell

I love how you sing this song....and especially how you sing the choruses with no fear and serious emotion.

This song is perfectly long. I was surprised when it ended and wanted another chorus still.  ;)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• February 03, 2020, 11:26:58
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 22:20:49
I agree with @Leonard Scaper about the length. Absolutely no need to shorten it. It's a beautiful, emotional song that invites the listener to sink into, as you put it so well.
The one thing that kept me from sinking into it, and that subject is a little delicate, is the vocals. I actually like your voice and the way you sing, it's special and genuine. I've also never had this with any of your other songs, but in this case i think you quite often miss the notes and that makes it hard for me to enjoy the song. I am well aware that it's a tough one to sing with all tose sustained tones... ;)

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 00:21:49
Thanks @Leonard Scaper , well I could well imagine the lyric Heaven/Hell line being in one of your songs actually, so I will take that as a compliment!  ;)

Thanks for the critique @Mark Luto . You are like a hard producer demanding a better take, and I know I can do one so thanks for your honest reaction! Maybe I need to get a pitch app after all!

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 14:24:19
@MichaelA  I also have different thoughts on "long songs" - the good news is I don't want my 5 minutes back (since I have a short attention span I usually do).

The song subject is from a different angle - don't wait wait for me, I'm not gonna change - and if I did it's not enough.

My lovely wife doesn't try to change me, but she does spend some effort in making sure I don't get any worse  ;D
Vnce

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 13:07:47
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 15:47:20
My lovely wife doesn't try to change me, but she does spend some effort in making sure I don't get any worse  ;D

@Vince .....how is she doing at that?   ;) :D

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 23:22:43
  • more
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 17:03:26
wow @MichaelA

nice song!!! sounds good  ::thumb:: i would like more of these HAaaah...haahs...repetitions in the track (making the song even longer  ;D ;D ;D ;D)
me, myself, and Pie

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 21:28:05
Well @Vince I think my own wife employs similar tactics - calls me 'work in progress', actually  :) Thanks for the 5 mins!

Thanks @Dutchbeat for the comment and the Soundcloud like. I am glad you like the Aha's, but sorry too many Aha's and I may become a sorrier version of Morten Harket!  ;D

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:04
I like how genuine this music is. "sinking into it" is right on....definitely can feel the emotion as others said.  ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• February 03, 2020, 11:26:58
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 14:54:11
Thanks for the critique @Mark Luto . You are like a hard producer demanding a better take, and I know I can do one so thanks for your honest reaction! Maybe I need to get a pitch app after all!

Yes, I am the merciless hypercritic, demanding no less than your best. And I also know you can do better. ;D
If you get a pitch app, I'd suggest to use it as sparingly as possible. I admit I have one, and it's always tempting me...
But it can draw the natural feel and "soul" out of a vocal performance pretty easily. To me, a little rehearsing, then recording a couple of takes and editing the best parts together is a way better procedure. ;)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 18:18:40
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 21:00:58
I agree with @Mark Luto about the comping technique and also rehearsing well before you click record. People often tense up when the red button is pressed so multiple takes allows you to relax into the song.

A good hint when singing higher notes that our choir MD tells us is to actually smile on the higher notes. That actually opens up more resonance spaces in your head and helps to prevent a higher note going flat.
He often tells our basses to do this as it improves resonance too and stops things sounding too dark. Another common thing is people pushing more air than they should on higher notes. You should do the opposite, put less air in, 'throw it away' as he puts it.

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 22:42:35
Hi Michael,

a very interesting song where you can (as already mentioned) improve on the performance. Maybe two or three more vocal takes and comping the best pieces together. I would remove the drums (or program them a bit better - more natural - right now they do not fit to the other arrangement).

But the basis of the song is really good.

Fabian

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:29
@Bill from November Sound , thanks for maybe sinking into this a little, appreciated.

@Mark Luto , my vocal performances are a little inconsistent, which sometimes frustrates me when I think I have got a promising song in the making. This thread has helped me think about the process of recording - ie I am singing to the full backing track on this one, when previously I had got into the habit of muting a lot of the counter melodies and 'clutter' and singing along to just a basic accompaniment. But more importantly not having playback too loud in my headphones when singing. I know I was blasting it out too much this time, which did help me get into the 'emotional' side of the performance, but then at the expense of vocal accuracy in one or two places. ...but hey, it's good to learn how to improve - which is the whole point of coming on here, even though my rather fragile creative ego would prefer to hear only good comments!  ;D Thanks anyway!

@MrBouzouki , thanks for adding to this discussion. I found your comments, courtesy of your choir MD, really helpful. I have already tried this 'smile on the high notes' technique and can see it does help with control and tone. The 'too much air on high notes' tip is also really useful. If you have any other tips like this maybe you might care to share them sometime - maybe in the 'songwriting ingredients' section of the forum, possibly. I think there are a number of writers on here who are better at songwriting and technical musicianship than they are at vocal performance, so I think these kind of tips would always be gratefully received! Thank you!  ;D

Hi @junemay , thanks for the comment Fabian, particularly on the drums, which I will revisit as I am going to rework this one at the weekend. Yes, I will definitely do more 'comping'. Up to now I have only done two takes max, as to be honest I get a bit bored going over it again and again. But that's just a sloppy lack of attention to detail I know I must discipline myself to wipe out! Thanks!

xx
Prisoner to Change

Started by TheMobRapper on Lyrics

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2018, 17:29:36
by TheMobRapper
xx
Refuel (name might change later)

Started by TDM on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2020, 22:10:58
by TDM