Japanese tears;
School of nature
Fighting fear.
Dark is the day
Dark is the night -
When will I step
out in the light?

25-12-2018

this is about a misunderstanding by Japanese soldiers who thought the war was not over, well into the 1970's.
Any feedback most appreciated - Work in progress.
Cheers
Dick
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 19:23:43
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: for the Misccommunication challenge - Chiense Whispers
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 14:14:11
Some people will think that this song is based on Careless whispers, but thatís a misunderstanding of course. That one was about the dialogue in public toilets.
I can perfectly remember that these lost soldiers were discovered. Or should I call them lost souls. Despite the whole world laughing about the situation, I felt a deep sadness. No way they could (I imagined) find a way back into a very different society.
A very brave thing to have tackled in a song. Very very brave, sir!
All the luck with this challenge!!!
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 18:02:45
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: for the Misccommunication challenge - Chiense Whispers
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 16:22:11
I really like this. I remember reading about that.....

Listening in my office on decent headphones. I like the movement on that synth. It really imparts the passage of time. You might be able to tighten up that bass a bit with some filtering.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 15:31:12
    • netherlands
  • more
Re: for the Miscommunication challenge - Chinese Whispers
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 21:06:55
Thanks @LePlongeur  - the story was subject of a question in trivial pursuit we played 2 days ago. I already had the title Chinese whispers (the game were people whsiper some words in each others ear and the message goes around in a circle and gets garbled or mutated,  errors accumulating in the retellings) - but the story of Hiroo Onoda gave me the further lines.
@Leonard Scaper  - thanks - will try out to filter the bass, - you mean eq-ing it in a certain way?

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 18:02:45
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: for the Miscommunication challenge - Chinese Whispers
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 21:23:01
Yes....I'd be looking at a High Pass Filter for that bass with a sharp slope at around 60 Hz or so. At the same time I'd low pass it (high cut) pretty dramatically.  I might follow that with a pretty fast release compressor and then maybe a second EQ with a boost at around 700 - 900 Hz. Something along those lines might shape that bass nicely.

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• Yesterday at 19:54:10
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Beautiful song, a favourable one,  ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart::
also a goat understands a joke

@oorlab  Very atmospheric . Its one of those hard to believe stories that take your breath away and I enjoyed your song.
The opening verse really drew me in . Great title too!

Robert

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 23:24:23
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
A great idea for a challenge like this @oorlab.

An interesting use of instrumentation too with the pulsed arpeggio, then into a reggae beat.  Instrumentally It does seem like something is still missing, but I'm not sure what ?

Maybe something to impart the passage of time like some voice overs of world events that they don't actually know about, almost a kaleidoscope of sounds like the moon landing and other big moments, all mixed together in a whirl of sound.

Good bit of work this

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• netherlands
  • more
Thanks @MrBouzouki  - indeed this is still needing some extra bass filtering, a change in the lyrics at some places, and possibly some extra vocals... i hope to be able to this before the end of the challenge, otherwise later.
Kaleidoscope of sounds - that sounds good to me - a visual metaphor for the music.

@oorlab Very much the sound of the turn of the 80s, but you appear to have a liking for that. No wonder, it is the time when Japan changed music forever. Listen to their first albums, and mix it with what bands like DuranDuran, The Human League and the Urban Heroes used to do. Like!
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 12, 2019, 15:15:09
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
You are developing your sound so that in the very few seconds the listener knows it is unmistakably you! A very good thing in my opinion, especially as what follows is usually a treat.

A very intelligent entry for this latest challenge which I am sure will do well.  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Marcus Nalgaber

With this music you can fly with your mind and that is very good.
This music takes you out, takes you and then leaves you where you were in a soft way.
Very good work.
Congratulations

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• netherlands
  • more
new lyrics, new mix - comments welcmoe, happy new year all!

https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/chinese-whispers

Chinese whispers

Chinese whispers
Japanese tears;
Misunderstanding
That lasted years.
What did I know
on my island of blue
All that happened,
I wish I knew.

They left me alone -
in the cruel jungle
but in the end
I asked for the order
to give up my gun
I did was I told
Misunderstanding,
as I have been told.

Chinese whispers
Japanese tears;
In the school of nature
I learned to live.
Dark is the day,
Dark is the night.
When will I step
out in the light?

31-12-2018

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• netherlands
  • more
Hey @Marcus Nalgraber - welcome to the club, and thanks for your kind comments.
@MichaelA  - cheers - good to know that subconsciously I developend a 'signature' style (probably due to the simple setup of my home studio, in which I can luckily find my blindfolded way :-) )

@Pleudoniem  - yes my friend, I always try to aim for a modern sound of today (in this case Kyteman and Jane Weaver - imho highly recommended current music :  (Kyteman Modular)
and (Weaver & band live in Helsinki, June 10th 2018. Obviously not as good hifi as her stunning studio recordings, but always inspiring to see a band live. The drummer really is into it).

- but somehow I get inexplicably drawn back to a certain 80's sound... oh well, we keep on trying.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 15:11:33 by Pleudoniem »
@oorlab No need to defend yourself. There is nothing wrong at all with having been inspired by bands or eras. Many modern bands mention the Rolling Stones as inspirations, and they started in the 60s. Others mention U2, or DJs like Tiesto, who have also been in the business for quite some time. Part of their souls is in us as musicians as well, as they were there when we were learning about music. Only if you like to become Bootleg-Tiesto, as in Bootleg-Beatles, then you'd be trying to be a clone. In the end, you always succeed in making it your own work, and I think @MichaelA is right in that what you produce is always easily recognisable as Oorlab.

I spoke to a music researcher at the UVA some time ago, who said that even though we may greatly develop our tastes as listeners, following his findings and statistics, our adolescence usually sets a stubborn marker on what we like. We may develop a great variety of tastes, but we never really let go of what we grew up with as teenagers. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a point. Your adolescence was in the 80s.

xx
Changing The World (Misunderstandings Song Challenge Entry)

Started by robertkc on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post January 15, 2019, 03:39:12
by robertkc
xx
Whiplash II - the Misunderstandings challenge 2018

Started by LePlongeur on Songs for review

24 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 07:39:01
by LePlongeur
xx
Chinese Lantern