• Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Yesterday at 20:59:19
    • Ireland
  • more
Coconut's the Shit
on: November 19, 2020, 14:21:39
Hello all,

I left my phone in a friends car so had no internet connection for over a week week. I was bored for 5 seconds then realized I had about 100 unfinished or beginnings of songs. It was actually a great opportunity to catch up on pieces from the past and put the chaos of my art in to some kind of order.

This one was my main obsession. Part of me feels it is a bit boring, the better part of me finds a lot of meaning and comfort in this song. There are many references to Buddhism & my Irish pagan roots in case anyone was wondering what some of the lyrics are about.

I'm still an amatuer when it comes to mixing but I think this is just about passable.

https://soundcloud.com/gary-hynes-863632583/coconuts-the-shit

Lyrics:

Mara's my bitch
Buddha my nature
Ego the glitch
Condition the maker

Dharma's the way
Love is my failure
Dukkha the birth, sickness, death, unsatisfied ager.

And coconut's the shit I'm never going back to olive oil.

Tara's my Queen
Uisneach my lawyer
My ancestor's were kings
'til the English took over.

Maeve is my mother
Bury me with her
Or scatter my ashes across the Atlantic after the fire.

Mary's my aunt
Bob is my uncle
Paganism my philosophy
As well as my culture.

The earth is my church
The sky is my temple
Things are complicated that's why I've been lately keeping it simply.

Life is a trip
God is a loner
Time is a switch
that never turns off and was turned on my no one.

Faith is a leap
Courage necessary
To face this poor world's inevitable pain, horror and suffering.

Truth is my crime.
Freedom my sin.
Expression confession and to tell you truth I'd express it again.

Women my my weakness.
Mushroom my friend.
I'll tell you no lie I'm high as a kite and I've taken nothin'.

Take it handy,
Gary
You can't go back. You can't stand still. If the thunder don't get you. The lightning will.

Re: Coconut's the Shit
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 20:41:55
I really like this.....everything about it. Just a simple presentation with a set of lyrics that demands attention.

Love the hook line.

It's a fine mix as well.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• November 22, 2020, 23:10:33
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 21:03:55
Soudning great! @GaryHynes  - initially the volume was quite low. But it builds well, and the voice remains strong. Fine doubling of the vocal.
I liked this line
Time is a switch
that never turns off and was turned on my no one.

I suspect there are some connections between Celticism en Buddhism - interesting to hear that in your song.
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:31:08
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 11:52:57
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:39:53 by LePlongeur »
Iíve been using coconut oil to prepare my food, and although it has its pros when cooking, I find the taste rather much in the end.
Your song confirms my plan to start a Ďwhatíll you cook for dinnerí thread.

I like your song a lot. If you (emphasis on you) think itís too monotonous, a lift or bridge could work miracles.
I am not convinced that thatís needed. The simplicity and tranquility adds to the lyrics.

Like Cajun, the Irish often turn to tales about their ancestors, a tradition that is sort of lacking in Europe.
What you need is a large family, otherwise you are quickly out of things to write about (smiley).

My favorite?

Truth is my crime.
Freedom my sin.
Expression confession and to tell you truth I'd express it again.

Women my my weakness.
Mushroom my friend.
I'll tell you no lie I'm high as a kite and I've taken nothin'.

Iím often seen as the odd ball who talks about happy hormones that support you when making music. Maybe I read something and you meant something else. English is not my native tongue.

Handy is the German word for mobile, so I hope youíll forget it again quite soon.

Kind regards, Gus

Edit

Donít know if you are familiar with the book Ďnaked lunchí?
The book is divided in chapters.
The chapters can be read in random order, therby creating the same - at the same time slightly changed version.
I may be mistaken @GaryHynes but I get the impression that certain sections in your lyrics can be read like naked lunch.
I would like to know if you do agree with this, and if so, if that was what you intended.
In that case I would have even more respect and see even more artistic merits in your coconut.
Gus

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 14:53:08
Hola @GaryHynes

Your song itself is a mantra ... A personal journey with which I have felt identified. Precious lyrics, full of all the good and bad of all of us in its pieces ... and of course the guitar is the only instrument that had to accompany it... and made me feel  once more that in reality everything is air in the trip.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 21:23:14
great song. almost hypnotizing vocals and a surprising little guitar solo near the end. well recorded too.

gr. Dan

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:30
Hey @Leonard Scaper Thanks for listening and glad it got your attention.

@oorlab The doubling of the voice can sometimes be tricky, this one gave me plenty of challenges but glad it came out well. Thanks for listening.

@LePlongeur At this point I think the simplicity of it is okay. I am probably judging myself too harshly for keeping things straight forward. Perhaps comparing myself to others who have more ability on guitar. Sharing the song has given me confidence in my own style and approach.

I am not familiar with "Naked Lunch" but I love the beat generation and their work. Burroughs is lesser known than the others but I should check out some of his stuff. I can see how the verses could be read in any order, for sure. Not exactly my intention, just how it came out. But at another time they could easily be jumbled up and it would be much the same, certainly.

@Mora Amaro La Loba and @cheff daniel Hypnotizing and mantra, I'm glad it had this effect and that you can relate, thanks for listening and your feedback.

Would just like to add that I had the first line "Mara's my bitch" was written down for a year or more. The chorus "Cocunut's the shit" was another line for another song from another time. After developing "Mara's my bitch" I was walking to the well and it was decided that "Cocunut's the shit" would tie in nicely to this piece. Initially it was very random but I have found a lot of meaning and depth from such a simple statement. The songs know me better than I know myself.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• November 22, 2020, 23:10:33
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:46:19
Hey @Leonard Scaper  the first line "Mara's my bitch" was written down for a year or more.
How about Mara's my itch? Would that convey the same musical meaning or function?

The chorus "Cocunut's the shit" was another line for another song from another time. After developing "Mara's my bitch" I was walking to the well and it was decided that "Cocunut's the shit" would tie in nicely to this piece. Initially it was very random but I have found a lot of meaning and depth from such a simple statement. The songs know me better than I know myself.
Funny way of putting it - songs can for sure be prismatic tools for selfdiscovery.

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:30
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:19:13 by GaryHynes »
Hey @Leonard Scaper  the first line "Mara's my bitch" was written down for a year or more.
How about Mara's my itch? Would that convey the same musical meaning or function?

It would work. In the sense that it would be true, too, although the meaning would change for me. Mara's my bitch is about keeping myself disciplined and to have some sort of control over my reactions and negative tendencies. "Mara" as some of you may know, is a term the Buddha used for "the evil within". Making Mara my bitch is something of a victorious achievement.

And yes, certainly, there is mystery and messages in the songs that at times I'm not even aware of.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• November 22, 2020, 12:35:37
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 12:07:06
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:10:18 by Monty Cash Music »
@GaryHynes

Love it. Love your sense of humour and the rawness you put in by default in your lyrics.

This song reminds me of the term 'supermarket spirituality' as a way of defining the state of spiritual 'freedom' in all the hipster paradises around the world. You can take a nibble of this and a nibble of that - never really committing to one thing or another - hoping for an easy personal revolution or a tireless enlightenment.

I like the way the lyrics simultaneously convey the meaningless of it all while also elucidating the importance of it all.

'Mara's my bitch' is the best opening line I've seen in a song in years... especially when sung with such a cold, level tone. It's a crack up. You're a master of that.

And the chorus - is perfect!

For a continued criticism (and laugh) of our present state of enlightenment affairs, here' s a song written by a local guy here in Fremantle called Generation Hipster -
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• November 22, 2020, 17:59:47
  • more
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 17:41:27
I really enjoyed your song especially the vocals!
They are so origin and does a fresh breeze through this dusty repetitions of common  lyrics.
Please  more @GaryHynes  :)

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 21:06:40
@GaryHynes  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love the song and especially the sound of your voice
That vocal track with a little more reverb in the mix would have been amazing for me.
Congratulations  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

• GaryHynes
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Ireland
  • more
Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 13:05:41
@Monty Cash Music Thanks for your feedback. It's interesting that it brings about feelings of this "spiritual supermarket" and the hipster phenonomenom. I am quite open to people exploring whatever tradition or culture they want, but so often it is done without the proper intention, understanding and respect. A lot of it is certainly just for show, a trend, a fashion and a status symbol. This song helps me come to terms with my own role in all of that, taking and learning a lot from a more Eastern philosophy over the years, then trying to find my roots in Paganism in an age of consumerism and distraction. All the while noticing similarities in many of them. Like you this song brings about a lot of conflicting feelings, it means a lot to the core but it's also something of a pisstake. I could probably go deeper in to what I mean but might be best to leave it open ended.

@Marcus Nalgaber Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed. I will try it with a bit more reverb!

@Mo Thanks for listening also. More on the way certainly. I am working on many songs in this style.  8)

grin
Your snare sounds like shit!

Started by Jambrains on The kitchen cafť

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2018, 14:37:43
by Leonard Scaper