• Coming Home
  • Started by Andrew Jezmund
Coming Home
on: October 12, 2016, 12:02:38
Hi all,

I recorded this earlier in the summer.  Thought I'd share. 

Our childcare situation has changed and that leaves me less time and space for music than I used to have.  It's a bummer, but nonetheless there is a song I'm working on.  I'll share it when I think it's ready.  Hope you are all doing well.

https://soundcloud.com/jezmund-2/coming-home

So weíre talking again
Sure beats silent scorn
Thatís how Iíve been living
Since the day I was born
I donít want to live that way anymore

We were drawn to each other
But the light had gone dead
Thatís how things can work out
How they can work out in my head
Now Iím think thereís so much I misread

I donít ever want to say that
Iíll could make it on my own
So Iím glad weíre talking
And you are saying that you are coming home

The smile of a pretender
Who liked to take things slow
Is but a weary recollection
From many years ago
Thatís what I need you to know

Re: Coming Home
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:24:50
Hi Andrew,

Nice song, cood lyrics and melody. Good vocals and great harmonies, especially in the chorus!

What annoyes me a little is the constant "home keyboard sound carpet" in the background. I felt kind of relieved when it stopped for a short time in the last verse. It sounds not bad in the chorus, but I'd prefer it to be less present in the verses. ;)

It's a shame you've less time and space for making music. I guess most of us would like to have more of that. But as long as you're still working on a song, it can't be that bad! :D

Cheers,
Mark

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 14:37:41
Hi Andrew,

Nice song, cood lyrics and melody. Good vocals and great harmonies, especially in the chorus!

What annoyes me a little is the constant "home keyboard sound carpet" in the background. I felt kind of relieved when it stopped for a short time in the last verse. It sounds not bad in the chorus, but I'd prefer it to be less present in the verses. ;)

It's a shame you've less time and space for making music. I guess most of us would like to have more of that. But as long as you're still working on a song, it can't be that bad! :D

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think the "keyboard sound carpet" sound you hear is actually guitar (assuming I'm interpreting you correctly).  I say that because that sound is absent at the beginning of the final verse when it's just me and the acoustic.

Yeah, I'll just need to be more creative and efficient with the time I do have.  I've been doing more playing out live lately, so some of my focus has shifted to working on my solo live acoustic set.  I also anticipate that I'll spend more time creating melodies on computer first (something I have more time to do) and map out the addition of vocals and guitars for later addition.   

We'll see.  Having a 2 year old is a constantly shifting world.  :)

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 14:55:20
The "carpet" i mean could indeed be a guitar, but an extensivley processed one... ;D

I'm sure you'll find a way to bring together your family duties and your musical output. ::thumb::

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 03:10:11
@Andrew Jezmund  Agree with @Mark Luto Love the harmonies in this.

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 01:55:18
@Andrew Jezmund I like what you had to say on this track. It's like the vocals and instrumental mix together to give the message of missing someone but at the same time knowledge that it is what it is. That's what I interpret from the track. I enjoyed it! :)
No Price, Just Happiness.

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 23:39:17
Hi Andrew,

It sure does sound like a pad and not a guitar. Just to be clear about the sound, on the very last strum of the chord, it's still there, and fades differently than the guitar.  Sounds like a string pad to me.   Anyway, I agree with Mark Luto; it's not that it's bad, it's just that it's constant through the tune. And doesn't give our ears a break.  I would take Mark's suggestion even more firmly and not play it at all during the verses.  Perhaps using a different sound if you think it's necessary.  Not only will this will go a long way toward helping the listener differentiate between the verses and chorus, but it will also highlight the chorus.  Carefull, a little goes a long way.  I think it's a bit of a cheesy sound.  When I'm not thrilled with a virtual instrument that I just HAVE to use, I try to bury it in the mix as much as possible. -M

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 23:49:15
Hi folks

I got some really good feedback on this track, and I've made some changes to improve the song.  Specifically, I reduced the frequency of the background guitar sound that a couple of you complained about.  See what you think...

https://soundcloud.com/jezmund-2/coming-home-1

xx
Coming Home

Started by PTCruiser1801 on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:17:12
by PTCruiser1801
xx
Coming Home - Second Version

Started by Andrew Jezmund on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 11:21:43