• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• May 31, 2020, 07:48:13
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Well it's out at last.

I know Gus @LePlongeur will be pleased  I've finally got my act together.  In my head I've had the picture of a sculptor  who has got so far with a piece and he's slowly been chipping off tiny flakes and sanding down and polishing to get to the end result. I just hope it's worth it.  ;D

As I mentioned in my SoundCloud overview it's very much a "Song for Greta"

Technically, it's been very interesting as once again I was working with Dave's recorded parts and then basically orchestrating against them.
The original track for reference is here :-

https://soundcloud.com/dee-zee/deep-blue

I did manage to get some discrete parts so I ended up using his piano / synth and bass guitar line. It's interesting because you are constrained by the other musician and how well / how he has shaped his parts.

I ended up losing his drums due to having to make the track longer to work with the lyrics so I used Groove Agent and Simon Phillips to give me some inspiration. I really liked his bass part so I brought it much more forward in the mix to give it more of a lead role.

I also used a favourite Odyssey synth patch to do some additional synth work. I actually dropped in the little solo at 2:32 last night as that section was missing something.

I do like the bit at 2:07 with the legato synth line of mine against Dave's frantic piano playing and my first take, full of emotion of :-

Then there were wars, terrible wars
No-one could win, as our castles caved in
The die had been cast, as we fought to the last
Almost no-one was saved, as we sank through the waves

This bit is probably one of my favourite bits of songwriting of the last few years ... I do like the metaphor of sandcastles 'caving in' to reflect the fall of society.

Then strings / cinematic hits / a Taurus bass patch just adding a bit of Prog texture to the beginning section and my almost signature St Peter's choir to give a true Symphonic feel.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/deep-and-blue-collaboration-d-zeitlin

Souncloud blurb below.
-------------------------------------------------------

Here is another SoundCloud collaboration with accomplished keyboard player and Prog Rock enthusiast Dave Zeitlin.

Be sure to check out more of his music here :- @dee-zee

His original instrumental was entitled "Deep Blue" and this time lyrics came to mind describing how mankind has had to retreat under the waves as a result of global warming. So I painted a picture of a future earth where the deep sea is the only vaguely habitable place left for the last remnants the human race.

Give current events this is very much a "Song for Greta"

It's also a strange track for me as there is no guitar involved at all, I played some additional synthesizer lines, sang the lead vocal and a bit of harmony vocal and then used various virtual instruments to orchestrate Dave's original. I had to tweak the length a bit too with some editing to make the story work.

I went for a more cinematic feel at the beginning that slowly morphs into a more symphonic progressive rock feel as the track progresses. So I've labelled this one up as Symphonic Prog Rock.

Instrumentation

Original Piano, Synths, Bass Guitar (Dee Zee)

Additional parts besides vocal

Con Sord Strings / 8ve Strings / Spic Strings / Cymbal Hit / Easter Island Hit (Spitfire Albion)
Drums - (Steinberg - Groove Agent 5)
Taurus Bass / Cello - Studio Strings / St Peter's Choir / Odyssey Synth (Steinberg - Halion 6)

Lyrics : Deep and Blue - P Goodrich 22nd Jan 2020

Down we go, in the water
In the Deep ... and Blue
Nothing left above us
The world, we knew, is through
Cities lost, beneath the waves,
On a rising tide of fear

First we lost the ice-caps
Then we lost, the bees
Then we had the food wars
As the people tried to flee
A lack of trust, as the world unwound
and the global climate changed

Then there were wars, terrible wars
No-one could win, as our castles caved in
The die had been cast, as we fought to the last
Almost no-one was saved, as we sank through the waves

So here we are, survivors
In the Deep ... and Blue
It’s a pitiful existence
But what else could, we do
They’ll be time to weep and a time, to morn
All the things we left behind
Like Atlantis lost, beneath the waves
As the world above us burns

So we go Down, Down, Down, Down
Down, Down, In the Deep ... and Blue

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 13:04:37
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Yes, I'm pleased @MrBouzouki , but i don't believe for a second that I'm that important.
So I've listened to it twice, to get really into it and I am very very glad all the hard work works.

A great piece of music, but then I was always a fan of yours.
I hope you keep up the positive spirit and continue to post. This is what makes this forum a great forum.
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
But Gus @LePlongeur,
                                        you are very important because you work in such a different way to me and inspire people to be bold, and daring, take risks and put something out even if it isn't as polished. But it's alive and vibrant and hasn't lost it's spark, it's soul if you like. So yes,  this variety in the Kitchen is part of why it works so well as @Mora Amaro La Loba mentioned so recently.

Cheers by the way, glad you like it. It's one from the heart and combines my environmental concerns with a science-fiction theme.

I seen this over on SoundCloud. I think this is a great example of successful collaboration. I believe you had fun making it.
Nice repeating motif going on here. With the synth is makes a good combinations. The string parts augmenting are a nice touch .

Though I liked the choir samples, I could also hear the vocal possibly being harmonized with. Like maybe singing another part or parts below yourself? 

If the other person involved doesn't see this, please tell him how good this went over and thank you both for sharing!

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Interesting Tim, @Timothy Smith as I tried double tracking the Vox then through it away as I felt a solo voice seemed more appropriate in the end.
I'm thought you knew Dee-Zee on SoundCloud, he's been around on there for a while.

xx
All of Me (Prog Rock Soundcloud Collaboration)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 00:15:15
by MichaelA
xx
All Of Me - SoundCloud Prog Rock Collaboration - Static Mix

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 21:35:28
by Rewboat
xx
'DJ' -> 'Deep Blue' Recorded with jim's lyrics