• Empire of the Fallen - Open to critical review and collaboration!
  • Started by Monty Cash Music
  • Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• Today at 07:58:13
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 23:10:25 by Monty Cash Music »
@Dara Wow more great suggestions, thank you. I'm gonna call it a night tonight. Round three will be soon though. I would like to polish this one like a diamond, so it helps me push to create a higher quality in general. Good tip on the bus tracks, I'm using audacity because of my budget and the speed of my free laptop. It's amazing how many tracks it can handle in Audacity but put Cubase on here and it will slowly eat the entire computer until everything freezes up and the next ice age is upon us!

I used an old version of Audition for a while, which actually isn't too bad for a fast, low memory guzzling DAW but it has some bugs which entirely corrupt a project if you save a file in a certain way... three cheers for Audacity! Yo ho ho!
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 23:21:00
    • Terra Firma
  • more
I like this. You are making a musical statement throughout with the cadence and the vocal style and that really comes across. I like that change-up at 3:40. If you could automate a high pass filter you might be able to make that wah swoosh drift into the background as it progresses. You could even automate the wet/dry on a reverb and make that effect even cooler.

The whole thing sounds well balanced and clear.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
Take #3 - https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/empire-of-the-fallen-for-kitchenarians-take-3/s-jCUMV

Today I'm doing washing and watching still walls while the brick inside my head exorcises itself into the structure of this building. This means I've got oodles of time to muck around with this shit! Amazing!

I like this. You are making a musical statement throughout with the cadence and the vocal style and that really comes across. I like that change-up at 3:40. If you could automate a high pass filter you might be able to make that wah swoosh drift into the background as it progresses. You could even automate the wet/dry on a reverb and make that effect even cooler.

The whole thing sounds well balanced and clear.

So I added a bit more normal guitar in the 3.40 bit which fades in towards the final build and then added some more basic Bang Bang percussion just for that break. Which I think assists in a smoother transition and also gives it back some natural flavour which @Dara was missing.

Thanks for noticing the musical statement bit, it's great someone is paying attention! And cheers for the vote of confidence on it sounding balanced and clear.

@Dara I hear what you're saying about the reverb, I actually prefer the Raw sound. But of course it's not a rule of law. I did however add an extra track of spoken vocals with delay and phaser in the background of the last verse and oooh bit, it's very subtle but has increased the depth of the song at the end. I also experimented with changing the panning of one of the guitar tracks slightly part way through the song and created more dynamic by slowly increasing volume of drums and boots in various places.

I will experiment mixing all the vocal tracks into a new separate track and adding a global reverb to them and put just a hint in the mix.

This idea of making a constantly interesting sound that shift subtly over time, I like. It's like painting a big picture and getting it down into a five minute song.

I'm going to sit on this mix for a while now as my ears have had it for this song. I will go through all the great suggestions again then and see what I haven't tested and what sounds good. Currently I have an Audacity project with 26 tracks because of manual bus channels and bits and pieces everywhere. It looks like a dogs breakfast.

I await a contribution from @oorlab and then I suppose I will put this one up to play forever unto eternity in the bowels of the internets.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:05:54
  • more
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 19:45:02 by Dutchbeat »
i am a bit late to this...i am listening to take 3... ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: what a great guitar strumming with live feel percussion groove  :o :o :o :o

sounds great!! stunning, i am now listening to that low string being added to the song... awesome  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i think it great, mix gets better and better, a big like and replay from old Dutchbeat on your Soundcloud  :shinyteeth: :yes: :yes: :yes:  @Monty Cash Music 

oh...*edit* the tracks is on hidden / private on Soundcloud...you will get that like and repost when you put the link on open @Monty Cash Music
me, myself, and Pie

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
@Dutchbeat Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to listen. I'm glad you appreciate the sound the guitar is making. It's wonderful to work hard on an element and get good feedback for it (with kitchener's support of course).

One more edit coming before it will be made 'public'. Some violin to come soon from @oorlab and a bit more tweaking on the vocals after a week of not listening to give it some fresh ears again. Then I'll pop it out there with bells and whistles and candy canes and a few dutch fireworks and possibly a shrine to some ancient greek god.  :pompom:

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
@Dutchbeat @Leonard Scaper @Dara @Sebzzz

ok! Very exciting! First completed form with violin from @oorlab now uploaded and public! Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and support! I say, 'first completed form' because there may be other improvisation additions (different versions) depending on if/when the musicians in 'hippy time' that said, yes, I would like to contribute... will send me their tracks. In the meantime! I haven't the patience to wait for Jesus!  :blackgrin:

https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/empire-of-the-fallen-original-song

I did add a bit of global reverb to the majority of the vocals.

It is now available as net-label EP release called 'Hail to the Void' as part of a greater project with Whiskey Mystic of Letterkenny - https://archive.org/details/hailtothevoid/ featuring a poetry track and a live track recorded with her in November last year.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!

I love this piece, I love it despite its lyrical sad realism

I was shocked that the so pronounced reverb of the violin/viola of the beginning suddenly disappears, and that the guitars appeared so dry of reverb ...
I also miss more reverb in the voices giving them a more magical space in their space.
As for the instrumental part, the guitars chords/rhythm, don't you think that the appearance of another instrument making a melody over that void so available could be good ?
And when the voices come again, the violin that appears could sound better in the part of only chords?

Sorry for telling you my ideas if you don't like them... :)
Otherwise I like the song, I like the lyrics and the style.
 ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
@Mora Amaro La Loba

Thanks for your feedback, it's actually what I want on here.

There is a good reason for the dryness of most of the elements. Personally I feel that reverb can be overdone. I like to hear what an instrument sounds like and I like to hear the crackles and timber in a voice.

The length of the cadence and the lack of filling in the spaces. I actually prefer. It's a time of meditation for the words. It's a march that is slowly building with a climax to the end.

To myself, despite the obvious sadness of the realism of the words. It is actually a message of hope. It is often in the act of clinging to a reality that we cannot uphold that stops us from moving on to the real solution.

The violin part has extra effects because it did not sound great dry like with the other elements, and I wanted to make it more dramatic without actually asking a new piece be recorded.

Often I just use what I have and improvise with that.

Thanks for your very real feedback. I prefer this than a back scratch.

This was very enjoyable.  I tend to agree with folks that it doesn't really need much else in the arranging department.  That guitar constantly grinding away pretty much fills up the space.  I like the kemenche sample, and hearing talk of violin on this thread makes me think about the need to contrast something with the twang of the guitar.  I'd be more tempted to have an acoustic bass or even a cello track.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
This was very enjoyable.  I tend to agree with folks that it doesn't really need much else in the arranging department.  That guitar constantly grinding away pretty much fills up the space.  I like the kemenche sample, and hearing talk of violin on this thread makes me think about the need to contrast something with the twang of the guitar.  I'd be more tempted to have an acoustic bass or even a cello track.

Thanks for your feedback. There may be alternative versions with different lead pieces coming due to the time vortex that appears when musician friends say they'd like to do something but end up waiting for the stars to align.

Namely a nice sharp bluesy guitar, and/or a harmonica by my friend in Margaret river.

It would have been nice to keep the kemenche for more work as it was gifted to me but I had no way of traveling with it. I have however found a shop with a violin made with an old wooden shoe that plays well on the knee.  I love strange instruments.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Poissonier

• more
The 'final' version already has violin by Oorlab in it.

I'll see if @budhabuilding feels inspired with this one and send him the tracks.

I love different producer's takes on things it really expands the mind for possibilities. Often no matter how right or good I think I am often someone does it better in a way I wouldn't have even thought. Haha

It's like each song is a language through which we share an expression.

I could send you the tracks too @M57 if you feel inspired and you can have a go at arranging the song.

xx
Open for collaboration

Started by Krysoe on Collaborations

1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2020, 22:11:31
by oorlab
xx
Cafe (open collaboration from RockFlexible)

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2018, 12:41:26
by Leonard Scaper
xx
Open collaboration "I believe in Father Christmas"

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post December 25, 2017, 14:22:25
by shatiks
xx
Fallen Out of Love (first recording)